Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef

despite all the scores on the benchmarks, Today I started testing FCPX editing (the main reason why I got the Hackintosh) and although the render times are good, the timeline performance is very disappointing. The playback keeps dropping frames when the clips are not rendered and even my MacBook Pro 15 2015 can perform better on the timeline scrubbing

Is there anything else I need/can do to fix this?

Just out of curiosity I looked into the system report and saw that my hd630 is not showing up? is this the reason for my problems?

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 20.51.05.png

If you are still losing audio after sleep, go to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and remove AppleALC.kext. Then follow instructions here to use MultiBeast to install audio drivers and CodecCommander.

Ok so the audio situation is still weird.

If I use internal audio with nothing connected it doesn’t work after sleep. When the PC is on, the red light shines from the optical out. When I set it to sleep the red light goes out and when I wake it shortly flashes but then stays out. No sound after wake.

If I connect and use my external audio interface it works before and after sleep. The optical out also always stays red.

If I select internal audio while my audio interface is connected via usb (but not selected as output) it stays on after sleep. Also the red light stays on.

If I set the Mac to sleep with nothing connected and don’t have audio after wake up, and then connect my audio interface it gets audio, but the internal doesn’t come back.

Basically the internal audio is forced to stay on if my external Audiointerface is connected, regardless what output is set.

Because I will use my external AI anyway, I won’t bother with internal audio not coming back, but I wanted to share anyway.

Waiting for amazon to deliver the case this week, the longer WiFi Antenna and a new cooler and I will be good to go :)

Download the following "camp" video and play it in QuickTime. Monitor your CPU usage while the video is playing. If HEVC is not working, CPU usage will spike.
Sony: Camping In Nature HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

Download the trial of MacX Video Converter Pro.
[OFFICIAL] MacX Video Converter Pro - Best HD/4K Video Converter and Downloader
Launch it and click on the little blue info button. If it says "Hardware Encoding Supported: YES", QuickSync is enabled.
View attachment 307737

Thaaaaaanks!!!

I already had MacX and it says Hardware Encoding YES, also FINALLY the video you linked me triggered the HD630, first time I see the iGPU with some Mhz rather than 0. CPU 10% and GPU doing the job for the video! YEAH

Same video on VLC gets the CPU to 400% and plays lagghy

I can confirm FakePCIID is not needed

Last edited:
@pastrychef

despite all the scores on the benchmarks, Today I started testing FCPX editing (the main reason why I got the Hackintosh) and although the render times are good, the timeline performance is very disappointing. The playback keeps dropping frames when the clips are not rendered and even my MacBook Pro 15 2015 can perform better on the timeline scrubbing

Just out of curiosity I looked into the system report and saw that my hd630 is not showing up? is this the reason for my problems?

View attachment 307780

Same thing here, no HD630 in system info but as I just replied when playing the video it is working!

Are you using Whathevergreen or RadeonDeInit?

@pastrychef

View attachment 307780

If you are using my EFI folder, the UHD 630 is not supposed to show up in System Information. I have the UHD 630 configured to be "headless". This is how the IGPU behaves in real iMacs and I tried to mimic the same behavior. You can use IORegistryExplorer to see if the UHD 630 is loaded. Get IORegistryExplorer here: [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 3.14.18 PM.png
Here is the IORegistryExplorer output from a real iMac for reference:
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 3.35.14 PM.png
If you have iStat Menus, it will also show the UHD 630.
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 3.21.32 PM.png

You can also use VDADecoderChecker to make sure that you have full acceleration enabled. (See attachment for precompiled binary.)

I'm not a FCPX user and I don't have a Vega graphics card so I can't help you with that. Perhaps someone in the graphics sub-forum would be more help.

Attachments

• VDADecoderChecker.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
If you are using me EFI folder, the UHD 630 is not supposed to show up in System Information. I have the UHD 630 configured to be "headless". This is how the IGPU behaves in real iMacs and I tried to mimic the same behavior. You can use IORegistryExplorer to see if the UHD 630 is loaded. Get IORegistryExplorer here: [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com
View attachment 307785
If you have iStat Menus, it will also show the UHD 630.
View attachment 307790

You can also use VDADecoderChecker to make sure that you have full acceleration enabled. (See attachment for precompiled binary.)

I'm not a FCPX user and I don't have a Vega graphics card so I can't help you with that. Perhaps someone in the graphics sub-forum would be more help.

Thank you. Yes, your VDADecoderChecker shows up that I have hardware acceleration and It shows up on my istats.

I will ask in the graphics subforum.

Same thing here, no HD630 in system info but as I just replied when playing the video it is working!

Are you using Whathevergreen or RadeonDeInit?

Was just searching for this radeondeinit. Not sure what to do, as I just added the and/ati efi folder @pastrychef put forward.

If I stack more than unrendered 2 clips on a 4K timeline it stars dropping frames.

How is your fcpx doing? @brixx

Was just searching for this radeondeinit. Not sure what to do, as I just added the and/ati efi folder @pastrychef put forward.

If I stack more than unrendered 2 clips on a 4K timeline it stars dropping frames.

How is your fcpx doing? @brixx

Get rid of Whathevergreen kext and just add RadeonDeInit flag in yout config.plist using Clover configurator (see attached picture). Only problem is that it might break sleep (but it gives me problem anyway, so I don't sleep my pc).

About FCPX onestly I haven't used it intensively, and usually just edit 1080p video... It's also true that Radeon Vega still have some beta drivers...that might be the problem.

About the HD630 iGPU did you try to play the HEVC video? Use Intelpowergadget to monitor GPU mhz and see if it starts doing the job

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 10.54.51.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 10.54.51.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 104
Get rid of Whathevergreen kext and just add RadeonDeInit flag in yout config.plist using Clover configurator (see attached picture). Only problem is that it might break sleep (but it gives me problem anyway, so I don't sleep my pc).

About FCPX onestly I haven't used it intensively, and usually just edit 1080p video... It's also true that Radeon Vega still have some beta drivers...that might be the problem.

About the HD630 iGPU did you try to play the HEVC video? Use Intelpowergadget to monitor GPU mhz and see if it starts doing the job

Yes i have the hd 630 fully functioning with hevc playback.

can I send you a 4k project with some stacked clips for you to see?

I just want to know how it works before making the changes you suggest, because now my bruce x score is 12 seconds just the timeline smoothness is bugging me.

Aaaamazing work here... THANKS SO MUCH!. I would totally build a hackintosh like this if only there were good 5k display to attach it to it. Waiting on that to jump in!

Back