Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Need some help. I followed all your instructions.

The components I have
-----------------------------
MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming
CPU: i7 8700K
GPU: Sapphire NITRO Radeon RX580 Special Edition 8G DDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 2666MHZ
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
Monitor: Philips Brilliance 32" 4K UHD LED Monitor with UltraColor
-----------------------------

When using UHD630 only (No RX580 installed)
- I can Install High Sierra 10.13.6, but graphic is laggy.
- I can upgrade to Mojave from High Sierra, but there are some weird problems which I don't know how to describe.

When RX580 is installed, I can't install High Sierra 10.13.6, the process will stop midway.
So I install High Sierra and upgrade to Mojave first without graphic card installed. But if I install the RX580 after that, the High Sierra or Mojave can't be started, even I don't connect RX580 to monitor. The only way I can start the OS is to unplug the power cable of Rx580. I am sure the RX580 is no problem because it runs well on Windows.

I tried adding -v to display log in boot, but the log is scrolling too fast and the screen will be turned off very quickly after boot.

I thought Mojave should be no problem with RX580, but it seems to be not ok with my RX580.

Any suggestion? I am not expert in hackintosh, any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Which connector are you using for your monitor? HDMI? DisplayPort?

In BIOS, is your RX 580 set to be primary?

What graphics issues are you having? Which connector are you using? HDMI? DisplayPort?

After logging in the windows would glitch\blink similarly to the video in this:

I've changed the SMBIOS to 18,1 as stated in your OP.

The phenomena occurs in both DP and HDMI.

Edit: I seem to have resolved it by adding IntelGFX and ig-platform-id in Clover. testing now.

Edit 2: the glitch seems to be gone however I'm unable to launch Final Cut. It says that "graphics configuration not supported" in addition the VRAM is only showing 18MB......I'm at a loss now.

Edit 3: using the intel only R3.5 works perfectly for me.

@pastrychef, is there anything I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

I downloaded your Mojave EFI and replaced drivers and kexts. That did the trick. Gui is normal again.

I have a few findings regarding Mojave:
  • The RX VEGA is much slower. Valley bench is 45 was 68 so it's 1/3 slower. GPU usage show 100% and without benchmark it falls back to 0% so it looks Apple is limiting RX Vega performance or something is consuming performance in the background.
  • There is some difference with the known fan issue. It looks like it's better in Mojave. Without the Kextinjector (generated by VG-Tab, which is adjusting the AMD10000Controller.kext, the fans stay at low speed with org nitro bios. The MSI bios, which I had on the Nitro's Secondary Bios, the fans started to spin up. It looks that the Nitro is now behaving as it should but is missing some performance juice.
  • Without any "user" load my GPU is used because it's warmed. I don't know what's causing this. I think this "background usage" is noticed in the benchmark difference.
  • Sometimes the fans are even turned off. Opening a movie, and pause it, will stop the fans immediately so there is still a
  • I read somewhere that installing macOS Mojave to an USB target drive would skip the APFS dependency. This is not true. I reinstalled macOS Mojave to an USB target drive and also on that drive everything is converted to use APFS.

I have not run any benchmarks in Mojave yet. I don't notice any significant difference in UI performance.

We know that Apple made Metal compatibility an absolute requirement for Mojave. I suspect that Finder uses Metal quite heavily now. One thing that I did notice is that when you go to System Preferences > General and you check or uncheck "Use font smoothing when available", its effect is now dynamic and the change is instantly visible. In the past, a restart was required before it would take affect and we couldn't see any difference until the system is restarted.

I read that it is no longer possible to avoid APFS with Mojave. I've never tried to avoid APFS on High Sierra so I don't know what the procedure is. For years, Mac users complained about HFS+. They said it was antiquated and we needed a modern file system. Now that we do have a modern file system, people want to avoid using it... It made no sense to me. I used APFS once it was introduced with High Sierra and never looked back.

Thanks,

I downloaded your Mojave EFI and replaced drivers and kexts. That did the trick. Gui is normal again.

I have a few findings regarding Mojave:
  • The RX VEGA is much slower. Valley bench is 45 was 68 so it's 1/3 slower. GPU usage show 100% and without benchmark it falls back to 0% so it looks Apple is limiting RX Vega performance or something is consuming performance in the background.
  • There is some difference with the known fan issue. It looks like it's better in Mojave. Without the Kextinjector (generated by VG-Tab, which is adjusting the AMD10000Controller.kext, the fans stay at low speed with org nitro bios. The MSI bios, which I had on the Nitro's Secondary Bios, the fans started to spin up. It looks that the Nitro is now behaving as it should but is missing some performance juice.
  • Without any "user" load my GPU is used because it's warmed. I don't know what's causing this. I think this "background usage" is noticed in the benchmark difference.
  • Sometimes the fans are even turned off. Opening a movie, and pause it, will stop the fans immediately so there is still a
  • I read somewhere that installing macOS Mojave to an USB target drive would skip the APFS dependency. This is not true. I reinstalled macOS Mojave to an USB target drive and also on that drive everything is converted to use APFS.

I just did a quick LuxMark run and it looks like there are significant improvements.

Here are results with High Sierra:
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Here are results with Mojave:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 6.55.31 AM.png

After logging in the windows would glitch\blink similarly to the video in this:

I've changed the SMBIOS to 18,1 as stated in your OP.

The phenomena occurs in both DP and HDMI.

Edit: I seem to have resolved it by adding IntelGFX and ig-platform-id in Clover. testing now.

Edit 2: the glitch seems to be gone however I'm unable to launch Final Cut. It says that "graphics configuration not supported" in addition the VRAM is only showing 18MB......I'm at a loss now.

Edit 3: using the intel only R3.5 works perfectly for me.

@pastrychef, is there anything I need to do?

It definitely sounds like an ig-platform-id issue.

In EFI r4.4.2, ig-platform-id is set to 3E9B0007. (Coffee Lake)
In EFI r4.3.2, ig-platform-id is set to 59120003. (spoof Kaby Lake, headless)
In EFI r3.5, ig-platform-id is set to 59120000. (spoof Kaby Lake, IGPU primary)

If r3.5 is working for you, you can make the following change to the config.plist in r4.4.2:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 9.10.10 AM.png

When using this ig-platform-id, you should use iMac18,1 system definition.

This means that when you get back your GTX 1080, you will have to revert the changes in your config.plist.

In EFI r4.4.2, ig-platform-id is set to 3E9B0007. (Coffee Lake)
In EFI r4.3.2, ig-platform-id is set to 59120003. (spoof Kaby Lake, headless)
In EFI r3.5, ig-platform-id is set to 59120000. (spoof Kaby Lake, IGPU primary)

Does that mean that regardless of if you're using it headless or not, there is only one platform for coffee lake?
I had to switch to headless on HS when I added a GPU. I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, just gathering info before I do.

Does that mean that regardless of if you're using it headless or not, there is only one platform for coffee lake?
I had to switch to headless on HS when I added a GPU. I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, just gathering info before I do.

That was my assumption.

Back