Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I had read from some users that using RadeonDeInit caused some wake problems in High Sierra, so I played it safe and used Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.
I have not seen that. If it's not too much of PITA, can you find the posts/threads that report the wake problems. TIA.

Sorry. I'm having no luck finding the thread... But in my brief time with the RX 580 and WhateverGreen, everything was working nicely. Maybe I can give Radeon DeInit another shot the next time I stop by at my friend's place.

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G - i7-8700K - GTX 1080 build
Thanks for a great post, your build and your dedication to this site.

I have been reticent to start a build because of my lack of experience but given that you have done all of the grunt work, and provide a step by step, I feel pretty confident I can be successful with this. I do not want to stray to far from your proven build. If I went with an Asus Strix H or Strix F would that change the settings that I would have make along the way? The Strix G doesn't seem to have any drawbacks or shortcomings but if there were no difference in config - I would probably go with a bit more room.

Also - is an EVGA 650 gold power supply enough and what do you think of the EVGA 6GB GTX 1060 FTW2 ICX?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a great post, your build and your dedication to this site.

I have been reticent to start a build because of my lack of experience but given that you have done all of the grunt work, and provide a step by step, I feel pretty confident I can be successful with this. I do not want to stray to far from your proven build. If I went with an Asus Strix H or Strix F would that change the settings that I would have make along the way? The Strix G doesn't seem to have any drawbacks or shortcomings but if there were no difference in config - I would probably go with a bit more room.

Also - is an EVGA 650 gold power supply enough and what do you think of the EVGA 6GB GTX 1060 FTW2 ICX?

If you use a different motherboard, there's no guarantee that the renames I used will work, you MAY need to use different KextsToPatch, and you will have to map out the USB ports on your motherboard.

Everything else SHOULD work especially since you intend to use an Asus motherboard.

I don't know anything about that specific power supply but 650W should be enough. I recently did a build for a friend and I also went with a 650W power supply without any issues.

I recommend avoiding any GTX 1060. They have a wake from sleep issue that, as far as I know, remains unresolved.

If you use a different motherboard, there's no guarantee that the renames I used will work, you MAY need to use different KextsToPatch, and you will have to map out the USB ports on your motherboard.

Everything else SHOULD work especially since you intend to use an Asus motherboard.

I don't know anything about that specific power supply but 650W should be enough. I recently did a build for a friend and I also went with a 650W power supply without any issues.

I recommend avoiding any GTX 1060. They have a wake from sleep issue that, as far as I know, remains unresolved.

Thanks especially re the gtx 1060. I think I will stick with the strix z730-g- give myself a break.

Wow @pastrychef, I decided to go ahead and buy the parts and build this thing after waiting to see how much "Meltdown" was going to effect us much.. Boom, this thing is already up and running! Too easy. I just installed clover traditionally on the USB stick, dropped your EFI on the main boot drive and it just works. The only component of consequence that's different than yours is that I have a GTX 980... other than that same motherboard and i7. I did go with Corsair LPX 3200 because I prefer low profile ram. :)

Thanks for doing the dirty work!

Wow @pastrychef, I decided to go ahead and buy the parts and build this thing after waiting to see how much "Meltdown" was going to effect us much.. Boom, this thing is already up and running! Too easy. I just installed clover traditionally on the USB stick, dropped your EFI on the main boot drive and it just works. The only component of consequence that's different than yours is that I have a GTX 980... other than that same motherboard and i7. I did go with Corsair LPX 3200 because I prefer low profile ram. :)

Thanks for doing the dirty work!

My pleasure. Glad to hear that it's all working well for you. Different RAM and/or video card should not be a problem at all.

BTW, I think most GTX 980s have 6GB or VRAM, your profile is showing 4GB...

Re samsung 951 ssd - this is nvme ssd correct?- I could use sm951 or sm960

FYI- I am looking at the corsair obsidian 350d case micro case- no windows, I think it is a pretty good and good looking- what do you think?

Re samsung 951 ssd - this is nvme ssd correct?- I could use sm951 or sm960

FYI- I am looking at the corsair obsidian 350d case micro case- no windows, I think it is a pretty good and good looking- what do you think?

There were two versions of the Samsung SM951, an AHCI version and an NVMe version. I have been using the AHCI version.

High Sierra has native support for NVMe, so both the SM951 and 960 EVO can be used.

Computer case are all personal preference. Choose whichever one you like just make sure it will fit all your components.

Hi @pastrychef, thanks for this detailed build! Seeing how much you had every aspect under control, I decided to go for the same exact build to save some time. All worked with no issues whatsoever, smoothest hack I've built so far!

I do have one question though; despite having the same overclock at 5.0Ghz and the same bios settings, I'm getting a significantly lower Geekbench multi-core score; I get around 26000.

Captura de pantalla 2018-01-12 a les 23.17.43.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6377916

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Back