pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i7-8700K + AMD Vega 56

Discussion in 'Golden Builds' started by pastrychef, Dec 8, 2017.

1. pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 4:12 AM #1
    pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) - i7-8700K - AMD Vega 56 build
    IMG_6538.JPG

Components

Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RHWCBT/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119042

Intel i7-8700K Processor
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

Already owned

Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 SSD w/Heatsink
    Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147691&cm_re=samsung_970_evo-_-20-147-691-_-Product
    *Note: Avoid Samsung PM981 NVMe M.2 SSD. This particular SSD does not work well with macOS.

Noctua NH-D15S Processor Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608072

G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 RAM 64GB Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232260

Gigabyte GTX 1080 GV-N1080TTOC-8GD
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125908

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) 850W Power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

SilverStone KL06B Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163276

BCM94360C2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card w/ M.2 adaptor

Dell DW1830 M.2 BECM943602BAED Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card
    Amazon.com: DELL HHKJD WLAN DW1830 WIRELESS-AC WI-FI CARD BCM943602BAED: Computers & Accessories

Athena Power BP-TLA2131SAC 3.5" HDD Trayless Hot-Swap Backplane module
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995109

iStarUSA BPN-2535DE-SA 3.5" to 2x2.5" Trayless Hot-Swap Backplane module
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215366

Gigabyte GC-AQC107 10GBase-T card (added January 22, 2018)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA93A6R42017&cm_re=gc-aqc107-_-9SIA93A6R42017-_-Product

Matias Tactile Pro Mechanical Keyboard

Apple Magic Mouse

Solarflare 10GbE PCI-e card (replaced with Gigabyte GC-AQC107 10GBase-T) (replaced with Intel X540-T2 10GBase-T)

Apple Remote IR receiver that I ripped from an old iMac and jury-rigged to USB.

Comments

This build is actually an upgrade of my previous build. All I did was transplant in a new motherboard and CPU. Honestly, I really didn't need to upgrade, I just wanted to... The six core Coffee Lake CPU was too tempting and I felt like treating myself to a nice Xmas present. My Gene build ran wonderfully up until I took it out of commission and I have no problems recommending it.

Based on everything I'd read, Coffee Lake is essentially just Kaby Lake with two more cores. So, I was pretty confident that macOS could be installed with a minimal of extra effort, so I took the plunge...

The Build

Motherboard
    I knew I wanted an mATX motherboard. It offered enough PCI-e slots for me and I would be able to find cases for it that would be smaller than my old Mac Pro which ate up way too much desk space. My previous experience with the Asus Z170 Gene motherboard was so good that I wanted to stick with Asus when upgrading. For the Z370, Asus only has one mATX motherboard available and that's what I went with.

When Asus released their mATX z270 offerings, the successor to the Gene lost its "Maximus" moniker. The reason for that is that it no longer included some of the more "advanced" features such as LED Q-Code display, motherboard "Start" button, etc. This didn't bother me since I never used any of those features. The Z370-G continues on without these features or the Maximus moniker.

CPU
    I wanted the i7-8700K. Six cores and only 4W higher TDP than the i7-7700K that I had been using.

Once I received the i7-8700K, before even testing it, I delidded it and replaced the thermal compound used by Intel. Previously, I used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on my i7-6700K and i7-7700K with fantastic results. Since then, I became aware of a competing thermal compound, the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. On paper, Conductonaut was clearly the superior product with a rating of 73 W/mk vs Liquid Ultra's 38.4 W/mk. I decided to give it a try. Conductonaut turned out to be extremely difficult to handle and the syringe shot the stuff everywhere. Performance-wise, I have found both products to produce very similar results. Therefore, I would recommend just sticking with Liquid Ultra, especially if you are a little klutzy like myself.

With my current 5GHz overclock, max temps reached about 75C when the CPU was under full load.

In the past, I relied upon the Asus AI Suite to handle the overclocking of my i7-6700K and i7-7700K. However, this time around, it produced less than desirable results. I ended up duplicating the overclocking settings from this video and I'm running at 5GHz. My personal example of the i7-8700K reached a stable 5GHz with 1.38v and LLC6 and can run 24/7 without any problems.

The only thing to be aware of when following the overclocking instructions from the above video is that Mac users should not use the AVX offset setting. It does not appear to function properly in macOS.

Heatsink & Fans
    Here, I chose Noctuas based on reviews I’d read online. They are regarded by many as the best and were supposedly extremely quiet.

After having used the Noctua heatsink and fan for about a year and a half, I can honestly say that they deserve all the accolades that they get. The fans are extremely quiet and high quality. The heatsink keeps the CPU amazingly cool. I would recommend this to anyone.

The only thing to be aware of is that if you use the NH-D15S with an mATX motherboard, the video card will be extremely close to the heatsink. You should make sure that the two do not make contact especially if the video card you use does not have a backplate. We don't want anything shorting out...

Update (April 18, 2018): I have added a heatsink to my M.2 SSD. Info is on post #1375.

Graphics card
    I originally started my Gene build with a reference Nvidia GTX 980 that I pulled from my old Mac Pro. When Nvidia released drivers with Pascal support, I upgraded to a GTX 1080. I decided to go with a GTX 1080 rather than a GTX 1080 Ti, because I liked the lower TDP and the GTX 1080 offered more than enough performance for my needs.

Once again, I chose to go with a blower style GPU cooler because they push heat generated from the GPU out the rear of the computer. This helps keep internal temperatures lower inside the computer which benefits all the other components.

Update February 18, 2018:
    In light of the recent problems with the Nvidia web drivers and improved support for some AMD cards, I would recommend the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse (currently the most compatible card around) or one of the AMD Vega cards if you require higher performance.

Update March 10, 2018:
    I've made the switch from Nvidia to AMD in the form of an MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC. Everything is much smoother and less buggy. As per my usual modus operandi, I chose this card because of the blower style cooler. I want to keep temps inside the case as low as possible.

I was faced with deciding between a Vega 56 or Vega 64. At the end of the day, I went with a Vega 56 due to the significantly lower TDP. It was also the reason I chose a GTX 1080 over a GTX 1080 Ti when I bought that card. So far, I'm extremely happy with my decision.

Currently AMD Vega video cards run with the fans spinning faster than they should. The FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext is not working with Vega but we can check how fast the fans are running with this Terminal command:
    Code (Text):
    ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'
    I applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to my Vega 56. Details are here.

Power Supply
    I went with a Seasonic under the recommendation of several friends who know their PCs. Originally, I just wanted a 750W but there was practically no price difference for the 850W, so I said what the heck…

Case
    Choosing a case took more time than choosing any other component for me. I wanted something as compact as possible without sacrificing on cooling and still provide for enough room for a decent number of drives and have easily accessible fan filters. It took a while, but I finally stumbled upon the Silverstone KL06 and it met all my requirements. In particular, I liked how I would be able to mimic my old Mac Pro’s cooling; a large CPU heatsink sandwiched between 120mm intake and exhaust fans at the bottom, a 120mm fan that blows directly at the PCI-e slots, and power supply and drives situated at the top.

Aesthetically, it can best be described as boring or nondescript but that's fine for me. I like classy more than outlandish. Quality-wise, it can't compete with Apple's cases but I doubt that many, if any, can.

Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card
    Initially, I used a BCM94360 card with PCI-e adaptor. I then switched to a Dell DW1830 M.2 card that replaced the Intel card that was included with the motherboard. This allows for a much neater installation and frees up a PCI-e slot.

I have switched once again from the Dell DW1830 to a BCM94360CS2 (pulled from MacBook Airs) with an M.2 adaptor. I posted details on post #40.

*Note: If/when you need to install Windows, download Apple's Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5722 to get drivers for the BCM94360CS2 and Bluetooth.

** Note: For those of you using DW1830 and are experiencing problems after wake, please see this post with work arounds and fixes.

The rest of the components
    Everything else was transplanted from my old Mac Pro.

Installation

RAM slots:
    Asus Z370 motherboard users have reported that when using two sticks of RAM, it is recommended to install them to slots B1 and A1 rather than the manual's recommendation of B2 and A2. The reason for this is that using B2 and A2 will cause a Clover error that will prevent booting. (I don't know if this issue affects Z370 motherboards from other makes.)

BIOS settings:
    Set everything to default. Then set the following:
    • Advanced/CPU Configuration/Intel Virtualization Technology - Enabled
    • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/VT-d - Disabled
    • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/Primary Display - PCIE
    • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/iGPU Multi-Monitor - Enabled
    • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/RC6(Render Standby) - Enabled
    • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/DVMT Pre-Allocated - 192M (64M should also work)
    • Advanced/USB Configuration/Legacy USB Support - Enabled
    • Advanced/USB Configuration/USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator - Disabled
    • Boot/CSM (Compatibility Support Module)/ Launch CSM - Enabled (Updated January 22, 2018: I originally used Disabled because it would allow Clover to boot in to the monitor's native resolution. Since then, I have found that Enabling CSM gives better compatibility with devices such as AQC107 and multi monitor support albeit at the loss of native resolution for the Clover boot menu. Bottom line, try both and use the one that works best with your hardware.)
    • Boot/Secure Boot/ OS Type - Other OS
    • (Optional)Ai Tweaker/Ai Overclock Tuner - XMP
    171208122441.jpg 171208122500.jpg 171208122519.jpg 171208122624.jpg 171208122642.jpg 171208122741.jpg

Create your USB installer and install macOS:
    1. Download macOS High Sierra installer via App Store from a Mac or hackintosh.
    2. Download UniBeast 8.1.0.
    3. Initialize your USB flash drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it USB.
    4. Launch UniBeast and let it create your USB installer.
    5. When finished, replace the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked to the bottom of this post.
    6. *(If you are using AMD RX 500-series or Vega 56/64 graphics, use the "EFI for AMD RX500/Vega.zip" file below instead. If you are using Intel UHD630 only, use the "EFI for Intel UHD630.zip" file below instead.)
    * The reason why I have a customized EFI folder is because I was unable to boot with the EFI folder created by the current version of UniBeast. (Update (March 15, 2018): I tested the latest UniBeast/MultiBeast and they are now working with this build.) (Update (April 13, 2018): MultiBeast 8.3.1 is broken. Stick with MultiBeast 8.1, as linked above.)

** FYI, macOS Sierra has also been confirmed to run fine by forum member Lestliness.

*** If you wish to use iMacPro1,1 system definition, simply change it in the SMBIOS section of config.plist along with new Board Serial Number, Serial Number, and UUID. No other change is needed. Be aware that iMacPro1,1 requires special builds of macOS. As of macOS 10.13.4, there is no longer special builds of macOS for iMacPro1,1. The builds have been unified.
    1. Boot up from the USB installer.
    2. Follow the on screen instructions and install macOS.
    3. When complete, you can copy the EFI folder linked to the bottom of this post to the EFI partition of your macOS High Sierra drive.
    4. If using Nvidia graphics, install the Nvidia web drivers that are associated with the version of macOS you installed.
    * If you are upgrading from another hackintosh or Mac, you can just copy the EFI folder at the bottom of this post to your existing drive and transplant the drive.

** Audio will default to Digital Out. Go to System Preferences/Sound to select the correct output you are using. The naming is deceptive. Internal Speakers in System Preferences is Line Out on the motherboard and what I use.

*** For those who want to know more about the shikigva= boot argument, the full description can be found here.

**** If you are only able to download a 19MB macOS installer from the App Store, follow this guide to get the complete installer.

Post installation tweaks:

RAM fix:
    Initially, the system only saw 2x16GB on my system when I actually have 4x16GB. I fixed it by editing the config.plist and manually entered my RAM info in to the SMBIOS section. I still haven't been able to figure out if this actually fixes it or if it's just cosmetic... Anyway, here's how mine looks:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 9.55.11 PM.png
    Update: I confirmed that all 64GB is fully recognized and in use. I ran two tests: (1) I set up a 50GB RAM disk, copied and 45GB Blu-ray image to it and played the video in VLC with a very minimal amount of memory swapping and (2) I ran memtester which wired 50GB and did one loop of its tests. Details are here and here. Here are some screenshots of the memtester run (notice that 50GB is wired and zero swapping):
    Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 4.15.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 4.13.26 PM.png

You can also check your RAM in Terminal:
    Code (Text):
    sysctl -a |  grep hw.memsize

iMessage fix:
    While you are in the SMBIOS section, you should also generate Serial Number and UUID to get iMessage working. Follow An Idiot's Guide To iMessage to get it all working.

*Note: Regardless of whether you use iMessage or not, the guide should be followed to implement clean Board Serial Number, Serial Number, and UUID. Not having this setup can be cause for things like Bluetooth issues. Do not report problems unless you have done this.​

Power Management fix:
    There are several methods to get proper power management. Here are two that I've tested and work. You can use either, but not both.

Method 1:
    Follow the [Guide] Generate SSDT For Coffee Lake CPU | tonymacx86.com and use the Coffee Lake compatible ssdtprgen to generate an ssdt.aml file. Then place the ssdt.aml file /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.
    Method 2:
    Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator. In the Acpi section, put a check next to PluginType.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 3.35.00 PM.png
    Enter the following command in Terminal to deactivate AutoPowerOff after 8 hours of inactivity:
    Code (Text):
    sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
    Update: Native power management is already implemented in latest release of my EFI folders. (Depreciated stuff is in spoiler. autopoweroff setting is still needed for everyone.)

USB fix:
    The EFI folder linked here incorporates the USB 15 port limit patch. However, this is considered a temporary fix and the proper fix is to map out the USB ports, create an SSDT, and disable enough ports to bring the total number down to 15 or less. Full explanation can be found at section 7.2 of this post. My simplified directions on how to do this can be found here. More detailed info can be found here. (*There are other methods to achieve this. If other methods work for you, use it. This is what worked for me and it's what I use.)

I have already mapped out the USB ports and have created the .aml and .dsl files. They are linked at the bottom of this post. Remember, even with the use of this SSDT-USB.aml file, you should have the XHCI-200-series-injector.kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other/ folder and you still have to use the uia_exclude custom flag (in Boot section of Clover Configurator) in your config.plist to bring the total port count to 13 or less (the last two ports are used by the two USB 3.1 gen 2 ports). One great thing about this motherboard is that you can just disable internal USB2 ports and the two external USB2 ports and be at exactly 15 ports. This leaves the 4th USB2 for Bluetooth.
    1. Download the Strix Z370 USB ports.aml file.
    2. Rename it to SSDT-USB.aml.
    3. Copy it to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/, and, lastly.
    4. Add your uia_exclude boot argument to config.plist.
    Here's how mine looks:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 1.18.49 PM.png

*The .aml and .dsl files are specific to the Strix Z370-G motherboard. Do not use with other motherboards!
    **The .dsl file is provided for reference for those who want to see what was done to create the .aml file. It does not need to be installed anywhere.

(Update Dec 13, 2017: I have updated USB .aml and .dsl files with a few minor fixes. I forgot to map the two USB2 ports.)
    (Update Jan 6, 2018: Both .aml and .dsl files updated with corrections/bug fixes.)

Strix Z370-G USB ports 1.54.39 PM.jpg
    *For those of you who are wondering why bother when the 15 port limit patch seems to be working fine, here's a quote from RehabMan:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.16.40 AM.png

Audio loss after sleep fix:
    Download CoodecCommander.kext and use KextBeast to install it to /Library/Extensions/.
    Starting with AppleALC v.1.2.6, audio works fine after wake from sleep.

Enable Bluetooth on DW1830 (Optional):
    If you have decided to use a Dell DW1830 M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, you will need to install BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext in to your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ folder. Both kexts can be found at: RehabMan / OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM / Downloads — Bitbucket

*Thanks to neilhart for helping me figure out how to get it working and RehabMan for the kexts.

Enable FileVault (Optional):
    I personally don't use FileVault, but if you do, here's how to get it to work.
    1. Download AsAmiShim.efi.zip from the bottom of this post.
    2. Unzip AsAmiShim.efi.zip and copy the file to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.
    3. Enable FileVault from System Preferences.
    4. Once FileVault has been enabled, you must choose "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot" at the Clover boot menu.
    * Notes:
    • I only tested on an APFS drive, I did not test HFS+.
    • I tested with Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine. If your Bluetooth keyboard works in BIOS, it should work with FileVault too.
    • If/when you update Clover, make sure you check to see that AsAmiShim.efi is still in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/!!!
    • AsAmiShim.efi is already included in the latest release of my EFI folders.

Maintenance & Future Updates

1. Always check the forum to see if new versions of macOS break anything.
    2. Check for updates to:
    • Everything in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
    • Clover
    • apfs.efi which is located in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
    Of particular interest to this build are:
    3. Of course, after updating macOS, Nvidia web drivers will also need updating.
    4. On rare occasions, we need to update the SMBIOS section because of updated firmwares on real Macs. To do this:
    1. Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator.
    2. Copy your working Serial Number, SmUUID, and Board Serial Number.
    3. Click the little up/down button to the right of the image of an iMac.
    4. Select iMac18,3.
    5. Fill in the Serial Number, SmUUID, and Board Serial Number with what you copied earlier.
    6. Save.
    5. Be careful with motherboard BIOS updates!! They can sometimes break things.
    6. If you use FileVault, make sure that AsAmiShim.efi is still in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI whenever you update Clover.​

Temps and Power Consumption
    :
    i7-6700K @ 4.8GHz i7-7700K @ 5.1GHz i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    GPU GTX 980 GTX 1080 GTX 1080 Vega 56
    Ambient 24C 24C 24C 24C
    Idle 27-29C 33-37C 35-37C 32-33C
    Full load 69C 77C 77C 78C

i7-6700K @ 4.8GHz i7-7700K @ 5.1GHz i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    GPU GTX 980 GTX 1080 GTX 1080 Vega 56
    Sleep 4.4W 4.4W 2.9W 2.9W
    Idle 80W 80W 89W 98W
    Full load 190-193W 190-193W 256-259W 287-290W

*All three CPUs were delidded.
    **System has 3x3.5" hard drives and 3x2.5" SSD.
    ***Vega 56 fan was running higher than normal at time of testing.​

What works:
    • Quick Sync
    • Sleep/Wake
    • HEVC
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth
    • Audio
    • Ethernet
    • 10GbE
    • 10GBase-T w/ AQC107
    • Wake-On-LAN
    • AirPlay
    • iBooks
    • iMessage
    • Continuity
    • Handoff (including handing off phone calls from iPhone)
    • AirDrop
    • Night Shift
    • Power Nap
    • USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (proof in post #755)
    • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext (Temp reading works, fan reading stuck at 100rpm)
    • FileVault
    • MSR 0xE2

What doesn't work or works weirdly:
    • Still not sure if all RAM is working properly. (RAM has now been confirmed to be working fine.)
    • Although Sleep/Wake is working great, the Energy Saver System Preference pane is weird. It's not showing an option for Power Nap. (Fixed with ssdt.aml.)
    • I tried to us a Dell DW1830 M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in place of the included Intel card. Wi-Fi worked immediately with the built-in Apple drivers, however, bluetooth was not detected at all. (Fully working now.)
    • About This Mac will show Processor as Unknown, but that's purely cosmetic and all cores work fine. There's a way to edit the "Unknown" text but I didn't bother.
    • Answering phone calls from iPhone is not working. Not sure why. Will continue to investigate. (Working now. Had to set input and output to "use System Setting.")

Update #1 (January 20, 2018):
    Restore native NVRAM support!
    I found out that the Clover r.4380 includes OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and AptioMemoryFix.efi. Both versions restore native NVRAM!! In my opinion, the biggest benefit of native NVRAM support is that crash reports are generated if something goes wrong and your system reboots. This can be a huge help when troubleshooting problems. You can choose either one, but don't use both at the same time. I don't know which is better, but I have not had any issues with either.
    How to upgrade to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or AptioMemoryFix.efi:
    1. Use the Clover Emulated NVRAM Uninstaller to remove emulated NVRAM.
    2. Use the latest Clover to install OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi.
    3. Check in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ to make sure that OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi has replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. Only one should be there, not both!
    4. Reboot.
    Just to be clear, this is entirely optional but recommended. If you are happy using emulated NVRAM, you do not have to do this. Also, with native NVRAM, we can disable NvidiaWeb in config.plist.

Update: OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi AptioMemoryFix.efi is already included in the latest release of my EFI folders.

Update #2 (January 26, 2018):
    The Nvidia web drivers for macOS 10.13.3 and 10.13.3 Supplemental Update are causing UI lags. To circumvent this, we can continue to use the drivers for macOS 10.13.2.
    Updating to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 via App Store works fine. Unfortunately, some users have reported severe lag with the corresponding Nvidia web drivers. If you experience these lags, you can downgrade to the drivers for 10.13.2. If you are still on the older drivers, you can keep using them with these directions.
    Use this Clover patch to allow previously installed Nvidia web drivers to work on versions of macOS it wasn't intended for. As of today, the last version of the Nvidia web drivers to NOT have the lag issues is 378.10.10.10.25.104. While .105 and .106 may work, they were intended for iMacPro1,1.

Update: This patch is already included in the latest release of my EFI folders, however, it is disabled by default. You must edit your config.plist to enable it.

If you have already upgraded the Nvidia web drivers beyond .104 and need to downgrade, Vulgo has a great tool that can help you downgrade. More info can be found at: Install any version of NVIDIA Web Drivers | tonymacx86.com

Update #3 (February 22, 2018):
    Forum member @wombat94 has written a script for use with Carbon Copy Cloner that automates the backing up of our EFI folders when doing a backup. Information is here.
    1. Download the cccEFIclone.zip script and unzip it.
    2. Copy cccEFIclone.sh to /Library/Application Support/com.bonbich.ccc/Scripts/.
    3. Launch Carbon Copy Cloner.
    4. Set your Source and Destination drives.
    5. Scroll down to Advanced Settings, AFTER COPYING FILES section.
    6. Click on the little folder icon next to Run a Shell Script:.
    7. Select cccEFIclone.sh.
    8. Click the Clone button to begin the cloning process.
    9. Done.
    Update #4 (February 28, 2018):
    I have updated my EFI folders to include:
    • Latest version of Clover.
    • Switch from OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to restore native NVRAM.
    • Latest versions of all kexts.
    • Added native CPU power management via PluginType=true by default.
    • Added SSD Trim support via KextsToPatch by default.
    • Added KextsToPatch to allow older versions of Nvidia web drivers to work with newer macOS version. (Disabled by default.)
    • Included AsAmiShim.efi for FileVault support.
    This update should be used by anyone currently using the previous release of my EFI folder. Just copy your Serial Number, SmUUID, and Board Serial Number from your current config.plist and apply it to the new one.

Update #5 (March 9, 2018):
    Today, I switched my graphics card from an Nvidia GTX 1080 to an AMD Vega 56. If you are still in the process of deciding which to by, I wholeheartedly recommend AMD over Nvidia. More details in post #820.

Also, I posted a guide on how to install macOS on a Dell Latitude 3450. If you are looking for an inexpensive companion to your Coffee Lake, it's worth a look.

Update #6 (March 28, 2018):
    For those of you with multiple hackintoshes, I posted instructions on how to have just one USB macOS installer that can be used on all your hacks on post #960.

I also updated the power consumption and temperatures chart in this post.

Update #7 (March 31, 2018):
    • macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 updates via App Store without problems.
    • Vega fan noise comes and goes, but it seems (placebo?) better than before. @quaquar found that removing FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext helps the Vega fan. However, once ramped up due to load, it still doesn't ramp back down.
    • Based on everything I've read, the Nvidia web drivers are still very buggy.
    • Nvidia audio over HDMI/DisplayPort is broken. I'm still looking for a good fix for this.
    • IGPU only users may see two listings for the UHD 630 in System Information. This appears to be just a cosmetic issue and is fixed with Clover r4421.
    • IGPU only users may experience some flickering and performance issues. Try changing to iMac18,1 or iMac18,2 system definitions to fix this.

Those who are using AQC107 based 10GBase-T PCI-e cards will need a new KextsToPatch to get them working.
    Name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
    Find: 0F84C003 0000
    Replace: 90909090 9090
    Comment: AQC107 patch by Mieze
    *(Optional) Add Custom flag "apple-axge-debug=0xff"

Alternate patch for AQC107 cards. Use either above patch or this one, not both:
    Name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
    Find: 6275696C 742D696E
    Replace: AABBCCDD AABBCCDD
    Comment: AQC 107 10 GbE v2

There is also a new patch that disables the 15 USB port limit. If you are already using SSDT-USB.aml with uia_exclude, I would recommend sticking with that.
    Name: com.apple.driverusb.AppleUSBXHCI
    Find: 837D940F 0F839704 0000
    Replace: 837D940F 90909090 9090
    MatchOS: 10.13.x
    Comment: USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart
    *Disable previous USB 15 port limit patch and remove USBInjectAll.kext.

Update #8 (April 6, 2018):
    I have posted r3 of the EFI folders.
    Changes:
    • apfs.efi has been updated.
    • Updated to Clover r4428. This update fixes the double entry of UHD 630 in System Information for UHD 630 only users.
    • All kexts have been updated.
    • Removed RadeonDeInit for AMD users.
    • Latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext has workaround for "the lag".
    • WhateverGreen.kext has been added. This will help some AMD users regain HDMI/DisplayPort audio.
    • Switched from OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi to AptioMemoryFix.efi. Both work but switched because of more active development for AptioMemoryFix.efi.
    • AQC107 patch v2 has been added and enabled.
    • PMHeart's USB 15 port limit patch has been added but is disabled. If you wish to use this, you can enable it in config.plist and you must remove USBInjectAll.kext.
    • UHD630 EFI folder uses iMac18,1 to avoid screen flickering issue.
    *Note: AppleALC was updated to version 1.2.6 after I posted r3 of my EFI folders. If you update to this version, you will no longer need CodecCommander. Install AppleALC to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and delete CodecCommander. I recommend this update for everyone. It works great.

Update #9 (April 21, 2018):
    I have replaced my r3 EFI folders with r3.1 because I wanted to update a few kexts and clarify some confusion.
    Changes:
    • AppleALC.kext updated to version 1.2.6. With this version, CodecCommander is no longer necessary.
    • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext updated to version 1.2.7. This version removes redundant feature now included with Nvidia web drivers version 387.10.10.10.30.106.
    • Renamed XHCI-300-series-injector.kext back to its correct name, XHCI-200-series-injector.kext.

Clarify confusion:
    Previous releases of my EFI folders included a kext named XHCI-300-series-injector.kext. This was in fact just a renamed XHCI-200-series-injector.kext. This was used because our motherboards' USB Device ID matched the kext's.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.34.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.35.34 AM.png
    RehabMan has now released an official XHCI-300-series-injector.kext for H370, B360, and H310 chipsets. However, the Device ID used in that kext does NOT match that of our motherboards. Therefore, if/when we update this kext, we should continue to use XHCI-200-series-injector.kext.

Also, BIOS 0615 has been released. Everything seems to be running fine with it.

Update #10 (April 26, 2018):
    Updated my EFI folders to r3.2.
    Changes:
    • Latest version of USBInjectAll.kext. This should work better for those who had USB problems with macOS 10.13.4.
    • Added more KextsToPatches for specific versions of macOS. Again, to help address USB issues with macOS 10.13.4. Remember to disable all these patches if you use SSDT for USB.
    • Updated SMBIOS information on UHD630 EFI.
    Update #11 (June 2, 2018):
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 updates fine via App Store. No updates or changes need to be made to your EFI folder.

Vega video card fan speed fix:
    okasit revealed that we can edit the power tables and fix this. The relevant info starts around page 6 of this thread:
    https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

I installed the Vega 56 kext made by wyhtc and it has been working great. Not only has it quieted the Vega fan when idle (it still gets very loud under load), it has also improved performance significantly for me. (Screenshots posted on post #1791.)

*Note: Since the FakeSMC Sensors don't give any readings for Vega cards, we can use Terminal to monitor temps and fan speeds:
    Code (Text):
    ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'
    I updated the motherboard BIOS to 0805. Everything seems fine.

Update #12 (June 20, 2018):
    Updated my EFI folders to r3.3. This update should work with the Mojave Public Beta when it gets released. Remember to copy/paste your uia_exclude setting, serial, board serial, and UUID to updated config.plist. Also, if you are using SSDT-USB.aml and uia_exclude, remember to disable all the 15 port limit patches in KextsToPatch section of your config.plist.

Changes:
    • Clover updated to r4558.
    • All kexts updated to newest available versions.
    • Fixed icon bug in the 'mac' theme.
    • Fixed typo in one of the KextsToPatch.
    • PMHeart's 15 port limit patch set as default.
    • Added ssdt-usbx.aml for USB power injection.
    Btw, here's a link to a user who is using this build for video editing and some of his benchmark results.

Update:
    • Reverted to AppleALC 1.2.7 because the version I included with r3.3 was buggy.
    • Added SSDT-LPC so that AppleLPC loads. This is modified from Violet Dragon's work. I just edited it for Coffee Lake.
    BIOS 0809 is working fine.

Update #13 (July 10, 2018):
    Updated my EFI folders to r3.5.

Changes:
    • Added ApfsDriverLoader.eft to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. This eliminates the need to ever have to update the apfs.efi file ever again. This will cause boots to be a bit slower but I'll take the convenience over having to always update apfs.efi.
    • New USB 15 port limit patch that is required for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 added. (*Those who are using SSDT for USB should disable all these 15 port limit KextsToPatches. Those who are still using 15 port limit patches really should use SSDT for USB so you don't have to constantly deal with this PITA. Having to constantly look for a new patch is much more work than just using SSDT for USB.)
    Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
    Find: 837D880F 0F83A704 0000
    Replace: 837D880F 90909090 9090
    Comments: USB 10.13.6+ by PMHeart&FredWst
    MatchOS: 10.13.6​

I updated to BIOS 1002. Lost AirDrop afterwards and audio was sporatic after wake. I ran the macOS 10.13.6 Combo Update and everything is back to normal.

Update #14 (July 16, 2018):
    I'm comfortable enough with the unified EFI folder to delete the older releases. The biggest benefit of this EFI is that you can freely change video cards without the need to make any changes. I also tried my best to make it as Mojave ready as possible.

As always, back up your existing, working EFI folder. Copy/paste your Serial, Board, Serial, UUID, and Memory settings to the new config.plist.

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 10.02.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 4.16.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.52.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.06.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 12.00.01 AM.png
    *All benchmarks taken with CPU clocked at 5GHz.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 8.45.17 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 9.52.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 6.46.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 5.22.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 4.32.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 4.36.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 5.16.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.43.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.03.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 3.42.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 12.12.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 2.47.41 PM.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 11:49 PM
  2. glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM #2
    glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM #3
    pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    When I compared other Z370 mATX motherboards, all the other ones seemed to be missing one thing or another, including lack of USB 3.1 Gen 2, only 4 SATA connections, lack of M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, etc. This Strix Z370-G had the most features.

I had no problems booting with all four RAM slots populated. However, only 32GB was initially recognized. I edited my config.plist and populated the SMBIOS/Memory section to get all 64GB recognized. I don't know if this is cosmetic or if all 64GB is actually seen now.

I haven't done a clean install yet. I simply modified my config.plist and changed a few kexts on my old Gene build prior to taking it out of commission, then I transplanted the SSD to the Strix and have been continuing to use my existing macOS install. I haven't done a true clean install in over a decade and have simply transplanted my boot drive each time I changed systems.

Yes, I was aware of the VDroop and LLC issues and updated the BIOS immediately. I followed the video I linked above to overclock to 5GHz.

mugs and esafeddie like this.
  4. glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM #4
    glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

5. pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM #5
    pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    I tested a Dell DW1830 M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card. The Wi-Fi worked with the native drivers, however, Bluetooth did not show up. I have ordered a BCM942602 card pulled from a 2014 MacBook Air along with an M.2 adaptor to see if I will have better luck with that card. I really want to utilize the M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth to keep the internals a bit neater.

I forgot to check if the 32GB was recognized a dual channel.

6. glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM #6
    glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

7. pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM #7
    pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    The BCM943602 from MacBook Airs use only two antennas. The Dell DW1830 that I tested uses three antennas. I have spare antennas that I connected to the DW1830 when I tested it.

8. glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM #8
    glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

pastrychef likes this.
  9. glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM #9
    glasgood

glasgood

Mac:
    iMac, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

10. pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM #10
    pastrychef

pastrychef Moderator

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    Mac Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    My pleasure!! Glad I was able to help!!

Have you applied the proper USB 15 port limit fix? I've already done all the tedious work. It should be a breeze for everyone else now.

Note that if you use:
    Code (Text):
    uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10
    All USB ports will be active except for the 2 USB 2 ports in the rear and 3 out of 4 of the internal USB2 ports from the internal headers. The fourth can be used for Bluetooth with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adaptors.

Home33 likes this.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017