Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I don't know what the problem is. I don't use FCPX. You will probably get more help posting the question in the Graphics sub-forum.

In your image, it shows that the UHD 630 is detected and enabled. Why it's not using? I have no idea...

OK, thanks. I will post there tomorrow, I've been like 6h with this and it's 5am in the morning already... :/

I tried activating in Clover InjectIntel and VideoProc says there is indeed hardware acceleration. BUT, if I export h264, system crashes automatically.

Maybe @corint1 knows something.

OK, thanks. I will post there tomorrow, I've been like 6h with this and it's 5am in the morning already... :/

I tried activating in Clover InjectIntel and VideoProc says there is indeed hardware acceleration. BUT, if I export h264, system crashes automatically.

With the latest WhateverGreen, you should not be injecting that way.

He has his IGPU disabled.

In the past, MacX Video Converter Pro has been used by members here to test if Quick Sync is enabled.
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 11.26.51 PM.png

Here are some threads that may be helpful to you:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uicksync-export-on-i8700k-rx-580-fcpx.249588/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-hackintosh-poor-fcp-x-performance-on-high-sierra.241408/

Last edited:

I use fcpx...I have same problem at begining with amd video card ... post your efi folder ...I tried BruceX test .... aprox 55 sec ... with nvidia 970

mov file is 67 mb instead 198 mb ...

Last edited:
With the latest WhateverGreen, you should not be injecting that way.

He has his IGPU disabled.

In the past, MacX Video Converter Pro has been used by members here to test if Quick Sync is enabled.
View attachment 343560
have you hardware encoding enable just with whatevergreen ? ...

Ok. I've tried for the past couple of days now. I cannot get unified 4.1 to work.

I am running a machine that just uses the igpu. I can get it to boot, but the display is not HiDPI retina (it is 4k resolution... so everything is tiny) and there are lots of graphical glitches etc.

I am currently running an EFI that has everything updated except WhateverGreen and it is working fine.

However, I am sure this can't last forever as IntelGraphicsFixup and Shiki will stop being updated, right?

Any ideas? Anyone else out there got the same problem?

Hi, you haven't told us if the new config fixed your 4K issue.
Thanks.

have you hardware encoding enable just with whatevergreen ? ...

The latest method of enabling IGPU requires config.plist settings and WhateverGreen.

I use fcpx...I have same problem at begining with amd video card ... post your efi folder ...I tried BruceX test .... aprox 55 sec ... with nvidia 970

mov file is 67 mb instead 198 mb ...

The latest method of enabling IGPU requires config.plist settings and WhateverGreen.

I SOLVED IT!!!

OK so afer long 4h of sleep..... I've been another 3h with this and I finally fixed it. I have full hardware acceleration and h264 times are faster than my old iMac.

@pastrychef Your EFI "as is" doesn't fully work for me. I mean, everything works as of now, except Quicksync / h264 Hardware acceleration.

@corint1 My BruceX test gives a result of 12s average, around 70% faster than my old iMac. But my h264 export times were like 5x or even 10x longer than the same old iMac (no sense at all).

As I said I've been trying a lot of stuff, and I finally got it, only changes needed:

1. Enable IntelInject in Clover.
2. Add connectorless address 0x59120003 to ig-platform-id.

Now everything is fine!! My export times in h264 are around a 30% faster than the old iMac. I guess the lower gain compared to ProRes is due to the CPU being clocked at 3.7GHz while my old iMac's is at 4,0GHz I think? Or maybe I don't get 100% hardware acceleration due to kernel patchs and everything not being as optimized as an actual Mac system... I don't know, but still, very happy with the results as of now :)

Also, curious detail:
Transcode to Proxy media of a 5min 4K clip is a 20% slower with the Hackintosh.
Transcode to Optimized media of the same clip is a 35% faster on the Hackintosh.

Again, I guess that in order to downscale to proxy it uses more quicksync and in order to convert to ProRes422 it uses more actual CPU power? I don't know.

EDIT: My boot times are much faster now. A 50% decrease maybe!

Last edited:
I SOLVED IT!!!

OK so afer long 4h of sleep..... I've been another 3h with this and I finally fixed it. I have full hardware acceleration and h264 times are faster than my old iMac.

@pastrychef Your EFI "as is" doesn't fully work for me. I mean, everything works as of now, except Quicksync / h264 Hardware acceleration.

@corint1 My BruceX test gives a result of 12s average, around 70% faster than my old iMac. But my h264 export times were like 5x or even 10x longer than the same old iMac (no sense at all).

As I said I've been trying a lot of stuff, and I finally got it, only changes needed:

Now everything is fine!! My export times in h264 are around a 30% faster than the old iMac. I guess the lower gain compared to ProRes is due to the CPU being clocked at 3.7GHz while my old iMac's is at 4,0GHz I think? Or maybe I don't get 100% hardware acceleration due to kernel patchs and everything not being as optimized as an actual Mac system... I don't know, but still, very happy with the results as of now :)

Also, curious detail:
Transcode to Proxy media of a 5min 4K clip is a 20% slower with the Hackintosh.
Transcode to Optimized media of the same clip is a 35% faster on the Hackintosh.

Again, I guess that in order to downscale to proxy it uses more quicksync and in order to convert to ProRes422 it uses more actual CPU power? I don't know.

Hmm... Very interesting. I wonder how your performance would be if you used Coffee Lake ig-platform-id. 5912xxxx is Kaby Lake. The reason why I used 5912xxxx is because macOS didn't have full support for Coffee Lake until macOS build 17G2112.

From what I've read, ProRes should be more dependent on dGPU.

I SOLVED IT!!!

My BruceX test gives a result of 12s average, around 70% faster than my old iMac. But my h264 export times were like 5x or even 10x longer than the same old iMac (no sense at all).

good news ... share your config.plist ...
something is out of my sight...:)

Hmm... Very interesting. I wonder how your performance would be if you used Coffee Lake ig-platform-id. 5912xxxx is Kaby Lake. The reason why I used 5912xxxx is because macOS didn't have full support for Coffee Lake until macOS build 17G2112.

Mmm, interesting. I didn't know that bit. Don't we have an address for Coffee Lake? Maybe it's not trivial, I don't know. I just started with Hackintoshes 2 days ago! Maybe as you say performance would be much better in quicksync tasks.

From what I've read, ProRes should be more dependent on dGPU.

Yeah, looks like GPU is doing a pretty good job, although in activity monitor I don't see the load graph go over a 35% maybe. (Or is that just memory? I don't know since it has no indicators whatsoever, just a graph...)

good news ... share your config.plist ...
something is out of my sight...:)

What do you need exactly, just the file?
FYI I'm using a Vega 64, not NVidia.

EDIT: @pastrychef Do you think adding an address to IntelGFX (like 0x59128086) would make any difference. I don't really know what IntelGFX is, but I'm reading that in some places.

Back