Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Pastrychef thank you for your excellent work.

I use my computer primarily for reading/writing, on dual monitors (2560x1440).
I often experience hickups because of RAM-demands, even with maxed out 16GB mounted.
It happens when I have around 100 PDFs open, and some demanding browserpages.
My purpose is to build a computer with more RAM options, as the solution, using iGPU.
I will expect faster scrolling with more RAM, than a better graphic card, I suppose.

I decided to use Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming for this purpose, and would prefer to use the i3 processor, but

1.) iGPU: Erik have mentioned that the CPU-processor i5 was easier to use because of slightly different implementations of the UDHD 630, compared to the i3, does this rule still apply?
2. Dual monitors experience: Is it working?

add 1) Update: "erik's "Tiny But Mighty" High Sierra Coffee Lake Build:
i5-8400- Asrock Z370m-ITX/AC - Intel UHD 630 - 16GB RAM" thread mention the iGPU problem. Probably one should choose i5 over i3 then.

Last edited:
@pastrychef in you're latest update you mention "Added SSDT-LPC so that AppleLPC loads." I tried your SSDT on my Hack but this Kext still shows as not loaded. Does it need to be modified for different Mobo? Have not been able to track down the source for this SSDT and why it's needed?

Search for Intel LPC Interface Controller.....

Pastrychef thank you for your excellent work.

I use my computer primarily for reading/writing, on dual monitors (2560x1440).
I often experience hickups because of RAM-demands, even with maxed out 16GB mounted.
It happens when I have around 100 PDFs open, and some demanding browserpages.
My purpose is to build a computer with more RAM options, as the solution, using iGPU.
I will expect faster scrolling with more RAM, than a better graphic card, I suppose.

I decided to use Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming for this purpose, and would prefer to use the i3 processor, but

1.) iGPU: Erik have mentioned that the CPU-processor i5 was easier to use because of slightly different implementations of the UDHD 630, compared to the i3, does this rule still apply?
2. Dual monitors experience: Is it working?

add 1) Update: "erik's "Tiny But Mighty" High Sierra Coffee Lake Build:
i5-8400- Asrock Z370m-ITX/AC - Intel UHD 630 - 16GB RAM" thread mention the iGPU problem. Probably one should choose i5 over i3 then.

I know that when the Coffee Lakes were new, the UHD630 on the i3 CPUs were troublesome. But, I believe that it can be worked around by spoofing Kaby Lake DeviceID and ig-platform-id.

That being said, I'd still choose an i5 for the sake of simplicity in the long run. I think that the difference in price is fairly small.

I only have one monitor and have never tested dual monitors on IGPU, but based on what I've read from others' experiences, it should work fine. I don't recall anyone having issues with it. Just remember that macOS doesn't have support for 4K@60Hz and macOS dropped support for analog connectors (VGA) a long time ago.

Thank you, very much indeed.

Hint, for newcomers like me: I chose the ASUS because of a present Nordic cashback option:
https://promotion.asus.com/en/nordics/asus_z370_intel_ssd_cashback
11TH June, 2018 – 15TH July, 2018
and good experience with the store ProShop, I use for this; I am not affiliated).
Many of them are z370s with a displayport. The cheaper G-alike, the Asus Prime Z370-A: has other sound drivers though, whcih might be an issue?)

Thank you, very much indeed.

Hint, for newcomers like me: I chose the ASUS because of a present Nordic cashback option:
https://promotion.asus.com/en/nordics/asus_z370_intel_ssd_cashback
11TH June, 2018 – 15TH July, 2018
and good experience with the store ProShop, I use for this; I am not affiliated).
Many of them are z370s with a displayport. The cheaper G-alike, the Asus Prime Z370-A: has other sound drivers though, whcih might be an issue?)

I think all the Z370 motherboards have working audio.

Are you sure AppleLPC is not loading?
View attachment 339668
It's a generic kext that should work for most motherboards.

I don't remember where I got it but I used the same file for my Z170 Gene build. It worked fine on that too.
Nothing in IOReg:
upload_2018-7-8_13-10-33.png

and System Info shows not loaded:
upload_2018-7-8_13-12-4.png

Not sure if you've already answered this question in a previous comment, but why did you decide to go with 2 NIC cards on your build? Also, why have you chosen to use a card with 2 ports and the other with 1?

Back