Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

i7-8700K has been supported since a few macOS releases ago. I have been using one for about half a year. I haven't had to use FakeCPUID since Sierra.

Which version of macOS are you trying to install?

You can try doing the install on another computer then putting a working EFI folder on to the drive and put the system drive back in to your Coffee Lake build

Hmmm that is interesting, so when you have IOReg open and wake you computer every USB device is still connected?
I know our builds vary but when my system wakes from sleep, I can see in IOReg that every USB device connected is reconnected.

If I connect my iPad it charges nicely at 2.1A even during sleep, however upon wake the device is reconnected. The same goes for a USB HDD, it remains powered on during sleep as it should, but then on wake it gets disconnected and then reconnected.

I have access to a real iMac Pro and when connecting a USB HDD, it sleeps and wakes without disconnection as it should

I have tried defining the USB ports etc with no luck
I have tried various darkwake variables with no luck either
I have tried disabling XMP as suggested somewhere with no luck

Do you have any ideas what this could be or what to try?

Hmmm that is interesting, so when you have IOReg open and wake you computer every USB device is still connected?

Correct. I just tested and everything in IORegistryExplorer appears the same before sleep and after wake. No warning in Finder about improperly ejected drive either.

I have USB ports defined in SSDT-USB.aml.
My Darkwake setting in config.plist is just "Darkwake".
I have XMP enabled in BIOS and config.plist.

I have no idea why it is ejecting for you. I've never had the pleasure of playing around with an X299 system.

Correct. I just tested and everything in IORegistryExplorer appears the same before sleep and after wake. No warning in Finder about improperly ejected drive either.

I have USB ports defined in SSDT-USB.aml.
My Darkwake setting in config.plist is just "Darkwake".
I have XMP enabled in BIOS and config.plist.

I have no idea why it is ejecting for you. I've never had the pleasure of playing around with an X299 system.
Thats great to hear that your build is working perfectly.
I am seriously tempted to switch over to the 8700K platform.
Do you think you could try without using the USB SSDT and USBInjectAll?
I can't think of what else could be causing the eject

Thats great to hear that your build is working perfectly.
I am seriously tempted to switch over to the 8700K platform.
Do you think you could try without using the USB SSDT and USBInjectAll?
I can't think of what else could be causing the eject

I could try but I'm currently trying to keep my uptime to over 1 month... So, you will have to wait at least a few days...

Well I changed to 1 and it didnt work, but I recall someone saying change to the Black port from green, and that did fix it

: )

Facing the same issue with Audio after wake up - I am on Inject Audio ID set to 1.
Not entirely sure how the black port can help - at least in my case it does not make a difference.

My fix was to add the CodecCommander kext despite using the latest AppleALC kext.

Last edited:
I could try but I'm currently trying to keep my uptime to over 1 month... So, you will have to wait at least a few days...
Hello pastrychef. First thank you so so much for making this guide. Thank to you, I have made my own desktop with this mobo (with the only exception that it doesn't feature a wifi module and I have to use a DW1560 in a M.2 wifi adapter instead) + i7 8700 + Aorus RX 570 function like a charm. Just one thing happened today when I updated clover boot loader to the newest version (r4497) and all the sound input source are gone (only the monitor HDMI input left), which means that the audio doesn't work. I tried reinstall macOS with older clover boot loader (4458) it works again :D Do you know how to fix it in case of future update? And another thing I want to mention is that everytime I boot to Mac, it flashed to black screen in the middle of apple logo and then back again to login screen. It's just a minor problem but kind of unpleasant. Thank you in advance

Hello pastrychef. First thank you so so much for making this guide. Thank to you, I have made my own desktop with this mobo (with the only exception that it doesn't feature a wifi module and I have to use a DW1560 in a M.2 wifi adapter instead) + i7 8700 + Aorus RX 570 function like a charm. Just one thing happened today when I updated clover boot loader to the newest version (r4497) and all the sound input source are gone (only the monitor HDMI input left), which means that the audio doesn't work. I tried reinstall macOS with older clover boot loader (4458) it works again :D Do you know how to fix it in case of future update? And another thing I want to mention is that everytime I boot to Mac, it flashed to black screen in the middle of apple logo and then back again to login screen. It's just a minor problem but kind of unpleasant. Thank you in advance

I haven't tested the latest Clover on this build yet. But I have tested it on my laptop and HP 8300. It seems to work with existing config.plist fine. The only thing I can think of is to make sure that the following section is correct:
Code:
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>1</string>
        </dict>

I don't know why you get a black screen. Can you describe it in more detail?

Back