Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

This makes me believe even more that it's hardware related...

However, just to be sure, you try creating a new users on your system and use the system on the new user account to see if you get panics.
I´ll try that before running ram tests (I did around two years ago and no error was detected).

Weird thing is I have not had a single panic since yesterday, only change is I did run disk utility and performed repair in the four drives (2nvme EVO 970 and 960 in osx-raid 1T (data 0)/ ssd system / 4T hdd (data1) / 3T hdd (data2)).

Returning from sleeep issue: I did not mention that sometimes the screens will remain black after sleep, with no signal only solution then is to restart the computer.
A few times it was only the secondary -LG ultrawide- that was not detected by the system and all the windows in that area were moved to main one (CintQ hd22).

I´ll try that before running ram tests (I did around two years ago and no error was detected).

Weird thing is I have not had a single panic since yesterday, only change is I did run disk utility and performed repair in the four drives (2nvme EVO 970 and 960 in osx-raid 1T (data 0)/ ssd system / 4T hdd (data1) / 3T hdd (data2)).

Returning from sleeep issue: I did not mention that sometimes the screens will remain black after sleep, with no signal only solution then is to restart the computer.
A few times it was only the secondary -LG ultrawide- that was not detected by the system and all the windows in that area were moved to main one (CintQ hd22).

Which version of macOS are you on? Monterey has Trim issues with Samsung NVMe SSDs which can lead to corruption and/or SSD failure.

The last time I experienced monitor issues when waking from sleep was years ago... I replaced the DisplayPort cable and it helped. I don't know what else can cause this to happen. Sleep/wake has been working flawlessly for me for a long time.

Which version of macOS are you on? Monterey has Trim issues with Samsung NVMe SSDs which can lead to corruption and/or SSD failure.

The last time I experienced monitor issues when waking from sleep was years ago... I replaced the DisplayPort cable and it helped. I don't know what else can cause this to happen. Sleep/wake has been working flawlessly for me for a long time.
I am on 11.6.1 yet. With your EFI OC 0.7.6 (only mods are custom serials, ROM and pikera argument)

Thanks for pointing that TRIM issue. I followed your previous comments regarding it.
It worries me as the upgrade to Monterrey is quite inminent because my main data-work drive is that RAID (created with Osx disk utility, 500gb evo 960 and 500gb EVO 960). I shouldn't lose anything because all contents are chronosynched to the 4T hdd twice a day. But I wonder if it could be rendered unusable....

Monitors are in fact conected vía miniDP to the radeon pro WX9100. The LG has a DP cable, the wacom CintQ comes with and hdmi cable which is plugged with an AMD miniDP to hdmi adaptor, this cable I can not change as the cable is wired to the tablet-monitor.

I am on 11.6.1 yet. With your EFI OC 0.7.6 (only mods are custom serials, ROM and pikera argument)

Thanks for pointing that TRIM issue. I followed your previous comments regarding it.
It worries me as the upgrade to Monterrey is quite inminent because my main data-work drive is that RAID (created with Osx disk utility, 500gb evo 960 and 500gb EVO 960). I shouldn't lose anything because all contents are chronosynched to the 4T hdd twice a day. But I wonder if it could be rendered unusable....

Monitors are in fact conected vía miniDP to the radeon pro WX9100. The LG has a DP cable, the wacom CintQ comes with and hdmi cable which is plugged with an AMD miniDP to hdmi adaptor, this cable I can not change as the cable is wired to the tablet-monitor.

I don't think that the Trim issue affects SATA SSDs.

I don't know what else can cause the monitor issues.

I don't think that the Trim issue affects SATA SSDs.

I don't know what else can cause the monitor issues.
I think I found the culprit of the crashes. (Today morning it was impossible to do anything as it would crash a few minutes after restarted, sometimes would freeze, or would restart. System activity showed intense cpu activity by mds and mds_stores processes.)

I followed your advice and created a new test user, and all was OK running it. I realized that Little Snitch was not running in this user.
Going back to my user I quit Little Snitch. All ran OK. When I restarted the app, a pop-up informed that it was broken and needed to be repaired. After rebuilding it (I guess it was a corrupt set up file), all has been running smothly. I hope it’ll remain this way!

Christmas-Cancelled-due-to-School-Shooting.jpg

Hello, Folks. And Merry Christmas to all. I've just made a fresh install of Monterey (12.0.1) ready to be updated.
The last OC gave me some errors. Do you know what errors are and how to fix?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5023.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5023.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 36
Hello, Folks. And Merry Christmas to all. I've just made a fresh install of Monterey (12.0.1) ready to be updated.
The last OC gave me some errors. Do you know what errors are and how to fix?
issue with your config.plist

or make sure to reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI

I think I found the culprit of the crashes. (Today morning it was impossible to do anything as it would crash a few minutes after restarted, sometimes would freeze, or would restart. System activity showed intense cpu activity by mds and mds_stores processes.)

I followed your advice and created a new test user, and all was OK running it. I realized that Little Snitch was not running in this user.
Going back to my user I quit Little Snitch. All ran OK. When I restarted the app, a pop-up informed that it was broken and needed to be repaired. After rebuilding it (I guess it was a corrupt set up file), all has been running smothly. I hope it’ll remain this way!

If Little Snitch continues to give you problems, maybe try Lulu from Objective-See. It's a firewall that blocks apps from connecting to the internet instead of on a per connection basis like Little Snitch so you don't get nearly as many popups as you would from Little Snitch asking to allow connection.

PastryChef:
Is there wisdom in looking at just the NGFF wifi cards, if one were to want to flip from having 2 Wifi cards (for some reason I got a PCIe adapter rather than redoing my motherboard's wifi... it was years ago, no idea why I did this) to just one, replacing what's on the MB? Like this: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-bcm94360ng-pcie-half-mini-card-m-2/p/0XM-00JK-00083

I think I have the 4360 (old style from an Air; pretty sure it's a 94360CS) and a PCIe adapter; I suppose I could just spend $15 and get the Air->NGFF adapter and plug the entire thing into the motherboard, just like I did with the other Asus board I have...

Later Edit: The issue is the "CS" model has 3 antenna hookups, and the Asus adapter/MB only has 2. Unless i want to mess with routing an external cable (I don't), I'm stuck with either using a PCIe card as I am now with the CS, or getting the NGFF card, it appears, which would give me the 2 antenna hookups.

If I have lost Asus' external antenna, do you have any idea what the form factor is called, or what I'd need to order? RP-SMA? Like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CNK9BGF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 ?

PS: Just got a PowerMac G5 case, the 40 pound aluminum monstrosity. We'll see how it works with this motherboard...

Last edited:
Back