Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks a lot for the screen captures Snoopy69, I´ll recheck my settings.

Pastry, I just re-edited the config.plist with ProperTree (to be sure that latest OCconfigurator wasn't breaking something):

-If vTd is enabled there is no OpenCore message before the Boot Picker. But I get no keyboard control or BT mouse.
-If vTd is disabled the message appears. I get keyboard control and BT mouse.

-I tried with prior 0.7.3 OC EFI vTd disabled: no OpenCore message before the Boot Picker.

Thanks a lot for the screen captures Snoopy69, I´ll recheck my settings.

Pastry, I just re-edited the config.plist with ProperTree (to be sure that latest OCconfigurator wasn't breaking something):

-If vTd is enabled there is no OpenCore message before the Boot Picker. But I get no keyboard control or BT mouse.
-If vTd is disabled the message appears. I get keyboard control and BT mouse.

-I tried with prior 0.7.3 OC EFI vTd disabled: no OpenCore message before the Boot Picker.

Make sure config.plist > Kernel > DisableIoMapper is disabled.

I am on latest bios 3004. And in order to install the two and a half slots wide RX6800xt I had to unplug the USB 3.1 Gen1 front panel connector which I never use.
I can't think of any other difference, also tried without the overclocking and it behaves the same way.
Should I worry for that message?

I am on latest bios 3004. And in order to install the two and a half slots wide RX6800xt I had to unplug the USB 3.1 Gen1 front panel connector which I never use.
I can't think of any other difference, also tried without the overclocking and it behaves the same way.
Should I worry for that message?

Disconnecting the USB 3.1 gen 1 from the case should not have any effect.

OC: Failed to drop ACPI 52414D44 0000000000000000 0 (0) - Not Found

This is saying config.plist > ACPI > Delete > DMAR is not found. (52414D44 = DMAR) I have no idea why you are getting this message.

I don't see any OC errors on my pastrychef OC74.

On my own mildly customized OC74 (really just letting OCAT fix a few loose ends, remove the PS2 stuff, remove RadeonBoost because it's not supported anymore (right?)), I experienced the strangest thing today - I booted successfully once today, and then when I went to reboot, I reset NVRAM (because...OC74...), and then booted again, using the same OC setup, I could boot into MacOS, but my keyboard kept flashing, my mouse RGB kept flashing, and I couldn't reliably use either. Sometimes I could use one or the other for a split second before it stopped working - so I couldn't log in.

I reverted to previous setups, old USB sticks, etc - all did the same thing. I tried pc's OC74, etc., etc., - but I realized when booting into Windows that Device Manager showed an error on a USB port, and the (USB3) webcam didn't work. I removed the webcam, and the Windows Device Manager error went away.

Rebooting into MacOS worked flawlessly from that point. Sigh. Agh. An hour wasted on a nonissue. I read and re-read the notes above on VT-d and flipped that a few times too.

Do we need to enable VT-d? What changed? Is it beneficial, better, etc. ?

I don't see any OC errors on my pastrychef OC74.

On my own mildly customized OC74 (really just letting OCAT fix a few loose ends, remove the PS2 stuff, remove RadeonBoost because it's not supported anymore (right?)), I experienced the strangest thing today - I booted successfully once today, and then when I went to reboot, I reset NVRAM (because...OC74...), and then booted again, using the same OC setup, I could boot into MacOS, but my keyboard kept flashing, my mouse RGB kept flashing, and I couldn't reliably use either. Sometimes I could use one or the other for a split second before it stopped working - so I couldn't log in.

I reverted to previous setups, old USB sticks, etc - all did the same thing. I tried pc's OC74, etc., etc., - but I realized when booting into Windows that Device Manager showed an error on a USB port, and the (USB3) webcam didn't work. I removed the webcam, and the Windows Device Manager error went away.

Rebooting into MacOS worked flawlessly from that point. Sigh. Agh. An hour wasted on a nonissue. I read and re-read the notes above on VT-d and flipped that a few times too.

Do we need to enable VT-d? What changed? Is it beneficial, better, etc. ?

Wow. Weird.

Supposedly, the AppleVTD thing helps with with Thunderbolt (I haven't confirmed and doesn't matter with this motherboard anyway). VT-d allows direct access to PCI-e devices when using virtualization. As far as I know, on macOS, neither Parallels, VMware Fusion, nor VirtualBox support VT-d. However, I figured if it's something on real Macs, it wouldn't hurt to have it on our hacks...

I did not test booting Windows. I always use the BIOS boot menu to boot Windows anyway and would never have noticed OpenCore affecting it...

I have enabled AppleVTD on all my hacks and have not had any issues with any of them.

I wrote that poorly. Here's what happened:

BIOS has long since been updated to 3004. MacOS is 11.6. System is stable running frequent OC73 and OC74 nightlies.

I used OCAT to update my already-working OC74-nightly to OC74-release. I rebooted. It rebooted / booted just fine.
Since it was fine, I removed old EFIs (EFI_OLD, EFI_OC73, EFI_OC72, etc...) that were hanging around my SSD's EFI.

I then rebooted, and reset NVRAM. After that reboot, I could no longer boot from my MacOS SSD; Windows 10's bootloader (and not OC) was the only thing that would boot on the machine, in BIOS, etc.

I then booted from a previous OC73 USB stick. It booted fine except it had massive USB issues as described above: mouse and keyboard were not usable.
I flipped VT-d a few times; no change.
I tried the PC OC74 USB stick (with my own working usbmap kext file, not yours), no change; didn't work.
I finally removed the USB Webcam after noticing, in Windows, the device manager errors.
PC OC74 now works, again with (exactly the same throughout this process) usbmap kext.

Problem solved. And placing the webcam back (I'm pretty sure into the same USB port) the machine remains MacOS bootable.

Ugh. I see it as just a coincidence, but the fact that a webcam could so negatively impact the boot/login process is troubling.

Do we need RadeonBoost and the PS2 stuff in the EFI? Is there any use for it, assuming no use of the PS2 port, not a laptop, etc. ? When i read the readmes around the voodoops2 kext it sounds like it's oriented at laptops and Synaptics contoller - can you comment on this?

Back