Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

So, on this machine, I boot from the Bios, so as long as I do that (and I've been doing that for a long long time), it sounds like it should be fine.

I boot Windows 11 from the Bios, Monterey from the Bios and Mojave from the Bios, and so far they all work fine. Sounds like this is going to work.

Thanks for the URL reference on Apple Secure Boot in OpenCore.

Yes. I usually use the BIOS boot menu too.

@pastrychef I'm trying to import some video. Is there a USB-C (Thunderbolt) card that we believe will work with this Z370 out-of-the box. It is not so much that I need the max speed of transfer, but I need to be able to plug in a USB-C output external camera to the Z370. I don't think ordinary adaptor cables will pass a video signal. This may force me to upgrade (grrrrrr) to an Asus Z490...

@pastrychef I'm trying to import some video. Is there a USB-C (Thunderbolt) card that we believe will work with this Z370 out-of-the box. It is not so much that I need the max speed of transfer, but I need to be able to plug in a USB-C output external camera to the Z370. I don't think ordinary adaptor cables will pass a video signal. This may force me to upgrade (grrrrrr) to an Asus Z490...

If the device you are trying to connect is a USB device, you can just use a type C to type A adaptor.

If the device you are trying to connect is a Thunderbolt device, not it won't work.

I've tried forcing a Thunderbolt card to work with this motherboard and was met with failure.

Hi pastrychef,

Thanks for your dedication to this forum, all is good after updating to EFI OC 0.7.4. (Running macOS 11.6 (20G165)

I also changed my gpu to a Gigabyte RX 6800 XT yesterday.
_BS11-6.png

I added agdpmod=pikera to the boot args on config.plist but upon restart it would get stuck at the Asus logo, it would not respond at all.
I made a search to learn that CSM must be enabled. And voila.

One issue is that iStat is not giving gpu temp readings, do you have any idea why could this be happening or how to solve it?
_RX_no_temp_iStats.png

I am now running tests with Octane PR11. For now my 6800xt is rendering the test scene as fast as a 6900XT, in 11secs. This makes me very happy. I run later cinebech and geekbench5.

_RX_PT_render_Radeon_RX_6800XT_.png

Hi again pastry, one other thing: ever since updating to Big Sur I get this terminal message if I select "reopen" on the system menu that pops up when an app crashes:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

Should I run that unix command? I made a few searches but with my limited knowledge I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks!

Hi again pastry, one other thing: ever since updating to Big Sur I get this terminal message if I select "reopen" on the system menu that pops up when an app crashes:

Should I run that unix command? I made a few searches but with my limited knowledge I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks!
Typically that happens when you open Terminal after an upgrade to Catalina (that's when it went into effect)

Basically, Apple is using that prompt to tell you "Run that command". Here's a little more: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250911992

and

Hi pastrychef,

Thanks for your dedication to this forum, all is good after updating to EFI OC 0.7.4. (Running macOS 11.6 (20G165)

I also changed my gpu to a Gigabyte RX 6800 XT yesterday.
View attachment 530136

I added agdpmod=pikera to the boot args on config.plist but upon restart it would get stuck at the Asus logo, it would not respond at all.
I made a search to learn that CSM must be enabled. And voila.

One issue is that iStat is not giving gpu temp readings, do you have any idea why could this be happening or how to solve it?
View attachment 530137

I am now running tests with Octane PR11. For now my 6800xt is rendering the test scene as fast as a 6900XT, in 11secs. This makes me very happy. I run later cinebech and geekbench5.

View attachment 530138

VirtualSMC doesn't give GPU temps for many of the newer video cards. There's nothing to "fix" because there's nothing broken, it's just that VirtualSMC doesn't have any hooks for them...

Thanks!

Please try the following:

VirtualSMC doesn't give GPU temps for many of the newer video cards. There's nothing to "fix" because there's nothing broken, it's just that VirtualSMC doesn't have any hooks for them...

Please try the following:
Thank you.
Now running zsh, running the terminal command correctly updated my user.
Cheers.

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.7.4.
Made appropriate additions to enable AppleVTD. (make sure VT-d is enabled in BIOS)
Hi @pastrychef ,
I updated with your OpenCore and I don't know why, but with VT-d enabled I lose the Bluetooth and both the wireless keyboard and mouse no longer work. Not enabling VT-d everything works ok. I don't know what AppleVTD is, if it's not important I can also give up on this.

Hi @pastrychef ,
I updated with your OpenCore and I don't know why, but with VT-d enabled I lose the Bluetooth and both the wireless keyboard and mouse no longer work. Not enabling VT-d everything works ok. I don't know what AppleVTD is, if it's not important I can also give up on this.

Hmm... I'll have to check it out later and get back to you...

Please try downloading the EFI again. I had an error in the config.plist.

Last edited:
Back