Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hey, broke through and I'm in. So... the pic of the EFI on the Catalina drive that I posted...with just one file in it...(I used Clover Config to boot it and look)...I just replaced this with your EFI and added the one Firmware file from the failed install and...it booted straight in. What a wild journey. Not sure what the hitch was. I can't believe Im here.

PC, you're a real hero to me. This computer, with 6 internal drives, has been a dream come true. I owe you so many many thanks for the extensive dedication and your hard work, (over 16000 messages!) Its an incredible gift and a huge inspiration. Thank you so much. Every day that I boot this up I think about what you've done.

Do you think we'll be able to continue with the M chips or are they the end of the line?

Deep bow,

Fitz

Hey, broke through and I'm in. So... the pic of the EFI on the Catalina drive that I posted...with just one file in it...(I used Clover Config to boot it and look)...I just replaced this with your EFI and added the one Firmware file from the failed install and...it booted straight in. What a wild journey. Not sure what the hitch was. I can't believe Im here.

PC, you're a real hero to me. This computer, with 6 internal drives, has been a dream come true. I owe you so many many thanks for the extensive dedication and your hard work, (over 16000 messages!) Its an incredible gift and a huge inspiration. Thank you so much. Every day that I boot this up I think about what you've done.

Do you think we'll be able to continue with the M chips or are they the end of the line?

Deep bow,

Fitz

The clock is ticking on hackintoshing. I won't be investing anymore money in to Intel or AMD systems for the foreseeable future. I've already started saving my pennies for a system built by Apple. I'm just not sure which one yet...

After 3 years in HS. Great to be here.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Well, you'll have to establish your outsider credits another way. Gotta do that.

I guess one last thing. If I drop an I9 into this do I have to reprogram clover or the BIOS? Or will it just fly?

I guess one last thing. If I drop an I9 into this do I have to reprogram clover or the BIOS? Or will it just fly?

You may need to update the BIOS to a version that supports the i9. I don't know which version of BIOS you are currently using.

Nothing else needs to be done.

Took about 20 minutes and system rebooted three times. I'm on OpenCore 0.6.7.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 9.21.32 PM.png

Nearly done with my build, but there are two things I was curious about regarding raedonboost and usb mapping.

Is the version of raedonboost.kext in your post setup with a z370-g info.plist and still working well in Big Sur?

Lastly I was going to just use hackintool and use the api method of usb mapping instead of injecting a mapping kext and I was looking at your posts here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/page-65#post-136611

and here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ld-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56.239969/post-1984508

Do we still need to do the XHCI -> XHC and XHC1 -> XHC renames?
Is that the same thing as the XHCI port patch?
I know usbinjectall.kext isn't kept up anymore but do that and xhci-unsupported.kext need to be used prior to using hackintool or is there a better way?

This was going to be my method unless any of this is old/bad information(if so please let me know because this part is very confusing to me):

1. Add both the aforementioned kexts into oc-kexts
2. check XHCI port patch and enable those two kexts
3. Add kext entries into config.plist
4. map ports in hackintool
5. generate SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-UIAC.aml and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (ignoring the generated kext) (is the usb.aml for sending enough power through the port and necessary?)
6. put files into acpi
7. untick port limit patch

This is as far as I've gotten into mapping USB ports so far. I know it might be the less intuitive way of doing it but I'd prefer the acpi patch method. What would be next, and is that the best api method or could I use the usbmap.kext instead of it? Would I need to leave it in like I would with usbinjectall?

*EDIT* I guess what I mean to ask is what do you think would be the best SSDT method? Your guide was so simple but I've seen it elsewhere with more steps before and after adding SSDT's and I'm not sure if that's just because different mobo's. Can hackintool be used with usbmap.kext?

Last edited:
Is the version of raedonboost.kext in your post setup with a z370-g info.plist and still working well in Big Sur?

No.

Do we still need to do the XHCI -> XHC and XHC1 -> XHC renames?
Is that the same thing as the XHCI port patch?
I know usbinjectall.kext isn't kept up anymore but do that and xhci-unsupported.kext need to be used prior to using hackintool or is there a better way?

I don't know if the renames are necessary in the newer versions of macOS but I've just left them there and they have not caused any problems.

When I did the mapping, I used USBInjectAll.kext. I haven't done any mapping in a long time and can't say if there's a better method. I know that USBInjectAll.kext to enable all ports works.

This was going to be my method unless any of this is old/bad information(if so please let me know because this part is very confusing to me):

1. Add both the aforementioned kexts into oc-kexts
2. check XHCI port patch and enable those two kexts
3. Add kext entries into config.plist
4. map ports in hackintool
5. generate SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-UIAC.aml and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (ignoring the generated kext) (is the usb.aml for sending enough power through the port and necessary?)
6. put files into acpi
7. untick port limit patch

This is as far as I've gotten into mapping USB ports so far. I know it might be the less intuitive way of doing it but I'd prefer the acpi patch method. What would be next, and is that the best api method or could I use the usbmap.kext instead of it? Would I need to leave it in like I would with usbinjectall?

*EDIT* I guess what I mean to ask is what do you think would be the best SSDT method? Your guide was so simple but I've seen it elsewhere with more steps before and after adding SSDT's and I'm not sure if that's just because different mobo's. Can hackintool be used with usbmap.kext?

Enable USBInjectAll.kext. xcci-unsupported.kext is no longer needed as of Catalina.
Use Hackintool to map your ports.
Bring your total number of active ports to 15 ports or less by deleting entries you don't need in Hackintool.
Click on the Export button in Hackintool to generate your SSDTs and kext.
Install and enable either the SSDTs or kext to your EFI.
Done.

The reason why I have moved to using the kext instead of the SSDTs are because (1) the SSDT stopped working for me at some point and (2) the kext has no executables which means very low risk of it ever "breaking". (USBInjectAll.kext contains an executable.)

I don't know which other guides you've read, but it's really as simple as I've outlined. The process has been greatly simplified since the early days.

OK, so in that case for the SSDTs, generate SSDTs in hackintool (there may be more than one depending on the mobo if I’m right) put SSDTs in UEFI and don’t use USBInjectAll at all, right?

Or do I use USBInjectAll prior to mapping and remove it after?

Back