Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef I think I'll have a backup of my system (to keep apps and their settings) and I'll do a fresh installation. Do you have any newer EFI (with new lilu versions and whatever else, without Nvidia stuff lying around) that's best suited towards 10.13.4? Would you recommend installing 10.13.3 and upgrading to .4 or to create new USB key with 10.13.4 installer and start with that?

@pastrychef I think I'll have a backup of my system (to keep apps and their settings) and I'll do a fresh installation. Do you have any newer EFI (with new lilu versions and whatever else, without Nvidia stuff lying around) that's best suited towards 10.13.4? Would you recommend installing 10.13.3 and upgrading to .4 or to create new USB key with 10.13.4 installer and start with that?

I'm basically using the EFI that I posted in #1075 right now. Everything is working fine. System has been up for a few days straight due to all the data I'm transferring from the hard drive changes I mentioned earlier.

Just check the SMBIOS section of config.plist. Choose iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1, I haven't had problems with either. And, set up your Serial, UUID, etc. NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ but it doesn't adversely affect anything.

If your EFI folder is the problem, you can:
  • Boot up using your USB macOS installer flash drive. Then replace the EFI folder on your boot drive.
  • Use Windows to replace the EFI folder on your boot drive. (search Google for "edit Clover EFI in Windows")
  • Pull your boot drive and use another Mac/hack to replace the EFI folder.

If macOS is your problem:
  • You can use the USB macOS installer flash drive to do a clean install.
  • Use Recovery to do a clean install.
  • Do a clean install on another Mac/hack, then copy a good EFI folder to the drive and transplant the entire drive back to this hack.

Ok, I booted up using my installer flash drive, but can't seem to find a good way to transfer my EFI Folder to my boot drive. I tried using Terminal but it won't work, any help?

Ok, I booted up using my installer flash drive, but can't seem to find a good way to transfer my EFI Folder to my boot drive. I tried using terminal but it won't work, any help?

When you boot up from your USB flash drive, at the Clover boot menu, select your main system drive. Don't select the installer or recovery.

When you boot up from your USB flash drive, at the Clover boot menu, select your main system drive. Don't select the installer or recovery.

I was able to boot up into macOS, is there anything that you recommend I should do to prevent my system not booting up again?

I was able to boot up into macOS, is there anything that you recommend I should do to prevent my system not booting up again?

Not much... Just be careful with what you do to the EFI folder. I also suggest keeping your USB flash drive around with a known working EFI folder in the even you encounter this problem again.

Update #4 (February 28, 2018):Added SSD Trim support via KextsToPatch by default.
Is there a reason to use the patch instead of sudo trimforce enable? I'm asking because I'm encountering apfs_vfsop_sync:2928: failed to finish all transactions in sync()! (err 16) and slow boot time after switching from HFS+ to APFS.

Is there a reason to use the patch instead of sudo trimforce enable? I'm asking because I'm encountering apfs_vfsop_sync:2928: failed to finish all transactions in sync()! (err 16) and slow boot time after switching from HFS+ to APFS.

My understanding is that the difference is when using the KextsToPatch, it tricks macOS in to treating your SSD like an Apple OEM SSD and trimforce enable doesn't do that. I don't know if either is better than the other.

Some brands and/or models of NVMe SSDs do not work well with trim enabled in macOS and it sounds like you may have one of these. The only solution I know of is to disable trim on these SSDs.

@pastrychef I've just reinstalled myself with clean 10.13.4. Without your EFI (#1075 one) the machine doesn't boot at all, with it it does, but the mouse stutter is there...

@pastrychef I've just reinstalled myself with clean 10.13.4. Without your EFI (#1075 one) the machine doesn't boot at all, with it it does, but the mouse stutter is there...

You mean you are unable to boot with your old EFI folder? For macOS 10.13.3 and older, iMac18,3 and iMacPro1,1 use different builds of macOS. As far as I know, the builds have been unified with 10.13.4.

Which USB fix are you using? If you are using the new USB fix by PMHeart, remember to remove USBInjectAll.kext.

Back