Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've just replaced the SSD EFI with the USB key one, copied UUID's and so on, and I'm back on the main SSD system with both monitors... and mouse stutter :D

The problem with the backup on the HDD is that it's quite old, and I've done a lot of work, installations, configurations and tuning of the OS and the tools I'm working with, that using it as a startup point pretty much equals a fresh reinstallation. What's also problematic is that's a NAS type drive, so it is painfully slow to work with, upgrade would take ages.

Nice! Better make a new backup quick while everything is working well. Lol

I just replaced my internal Time Machine drive with an 8TB archive drive that I pulled from my NAS and this thing is ridiculously slow. First Time Machine backup is taking almost 24 hours!!

Nice! Better make a new backup quick while everything is working well. Lol

I just replaced my internal Time Machine drive with an 8TB archive drive that I pulled from my NAS and this thing is ridiculously slow. First Time Machine backup is taking almost 24 hours!!
Exactly, that's why I've stopped using it and that's why this 'backup' on it is so old. But it was an useful test. However, I still have two original issues, that is Vega fans spinning loud and mouse stutter and I just realised the system has no audio at all... So not really worth making any backups :(

Exactly, that's why I've stopped using it and that's why this 'backup' on it is so old. But it was an useful test. However, I still have two original issues, that is Vega fans spinning loud and mouse stutter and I just realised the system has no audio at all... So not really worth making any backups :(

Not knowing what was done on the system, I think there's little choice besides doing a clean install.

Audio on this build has been very easy to implement. It required only AppleALC.kext and, of course, Lilu.kext and CodecCommander.kext. I have not had any issues with this at all.

Yes, I've started the process of replacing 3 out of 8 of the 8TB archive drives in my NAS with 12TB Barracuda Pros. That should improve my NAS write speeds a bit.

See post #1, update #7 for the new USB KextsToPatch.
I'm still not quite clear on whether there is still an Apple-induced 15-port limit per header with regard to this patch. Does this patch simply replace the previously used "remove 15 port limit" patch, but keeps the same problems, necessitating the port disabling to stay at/under the 15-port limit?

Stated another way, if one uses this patch, is the 15-port limit no longer a problem? Meaning sleep, etc., work as expected and the system performs as expected without any USB port limitations.

Thanks!

I'm still not quite clear on whether there is still an Apple-induced 15-port limit per header with regard to this patch. Does this patch simply replace the previously used "remove 15 port limit" patch, but keeps the same problems, necessitating the port disabling to stay at/under the 15-port limit?

Stated another way, if one uses this patch, is the 15-port limit no longer a problem? Meaning sleep, etc., work as expected and the system performs as expected without any USB port limitations.

Thanks!

Yes, there is still a 15 port limit.

Yes, it is still best to use SSDT-USB.aml.

This new patch can be used as a replacement for older 15 port limit patch. Some people are having issues with USB3 with the older patch and this one seems to fix that.

I don't know how well sleep/wake works with this patch. As with the previous 15 port limit patch, I would consider this a temporary fix. SSDT-USB.aml is still the best way to get USB working right and it is the only method that I would expect sleep/wake to work well with.

Yes, there is still a 15 port limit.

Yes, it is still best to use SSDT-USB.aml.
Well, so much for 10.13.4 removing that limit... bummer!

Thank you for the reply! :)

No luck. I updated to the latest version but still no HDMI audio.

Does this update restore your HDMI audio?

You may need to build the latest build or wait for it to be released on github.

I don't have Nvidia graphics anymore so I can't test.

pastrychef,
kgp doesn't like the Vega. FYI > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.229353/page-664#post-1718959
Might be on his X299 system, but I thought you'd find his "findings" interesting.

I don't have any of the problems he described. I boot in native resolution. See everything from motherboard logo to BIOS to APFS texts to Clover boot menu to Apple logo and progress bar/verbose texts. In fact, it's the first time I've read of any such complaints.

On the other hand, my GTX 1080 lag was so bad that I got headaches from looking at the screen too long. Based on what I've read, the lag is still affecting many users. Reverting to old drivers may work now, but how long can old drivers be expected to work with Apple making so many changes to accommodate eGPU and continuing to march forward with Metal 2?

It's nice to be able to boot up with out the need for any additional kexts and/or special boot arguments. For the first time in a long time, I was able to update to the latest version of macOS on release day because I didn't have to wait for Nvidia to release their drivers.

Back