Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

To get KextUpdater working I had to make a change in the opencore plist -

Misc / Security / Expose Sensitive Data from 6 to 3 - (middle 2 options to first 2 options).

Does anyone have any opinion on that? To me that reads "Let Kext Updater read external USB media / the boot path", which to me is no big deal - are there any other concerns?

I then changed it to 7 so the first three are selected.

To get KextUpdater working I had to make a change in the opencore plist -

Misc / Security / Expose Sensitive Data from 6 to 3 - (middle 2 options to first 2 options).

Does anyone have any opinion on that? To me that reads "Let Kext Updater read external USB media / the boot path", which to me is no big deal - are there any other concerns?

I then changed it to 7 so the first three are selected.

What is KextUpdater? How does KextUpdater work? Why does it require modding of config.plist to work?

What is KextUpdater? How does KextUpdater work? Why does it require modding of config.plist to work?

It's the bomb - super easy way to stay current with all your KEXTs, check for Clover/OC updates, etc. --- all in one click. And will back up EFI for you too.

And I think it's that it requires _reading_ of your USB (or /EFI) boot media, so it can see what you have there to compare with the newest version.

OK, so on the Z370 Asus ITX board, which successfully booted Clover 5122 and 10.15.7 for quite a while, and which just today successfully booted the EFI OC64 in the 1st post (with a few bluetooth extra kexts added) tried to update to 11.1. :(

I clicked Update to go to 11.1, and then it downloaded, then rebooted. Then it thought for a bit, then rebooted again. Then it turned the screen black, and has been sitting at a black screen for about 30 minutes now. :(

It's the bomb - super easy way to stay current with all your KEXTs, check for Clover/OC updates, etc. --- all in one click. And will back up EFI for you too.

And I think it's that it requires _reading_ of your USB (or /EFI) boot media, so it can see what you have there to compare with the newest version.

You should not need to modify the config.plist for something like this.

I just use Hackintool to check for updated kexts.

OK, so on the Z370 Asus ITX board, which successfully booted Clover 5122 and 10.15.7 for quite a while, and which just today successfully booted the EFI OC64 in the 1st post (with a few bluetooth extra kexts added) tried to update to 11.1. :(

I clicked Update to go to 11.1, and then it downloaded, then rebooted. Then it thought for a bit, then rebooted again. Then it turned the screen black, and has been sitting at a black screen for about 30 minutes now. :(

Did you add "agdpmod=pikera"?

Did you add "agdpmod=pikera"?
No. I have not made any modifications to your setup. RX580 in the ITX Z370.

All I ended up doing was powering off, powering back on, it continued thru setup for 20 minutes or so, and then boom - I have 11.1 going; easy update from 10.15.7.

Whew! OC64 wasn't that bad. I've been putting it off for a very, very long time.

No. I have not made any modifications to your setup. RX580 in the ITX Z370.

All I ended up doing was powering off, powering back on, it continued thru setup for 20 minutes or so, and then boom - I have 11.1 going; easy update from 10.15.7.

Whew! OC64 wasn't that bad. I've been putting it off for a very, very long time.

RX 580 should not need the boot argument. It should also not give you black screen unless you are using HDMI.

Back