Contribute
Register

Overclocked Ivy Bridge Not Much Faster Than Overclocked Sandy Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows XP Tablet Ed. (XP Pro)
CPU
Intel Centrino Duo 1.86GHz
Graphics
Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
From what I've read/heard, it seems the Ivy Bridge is just smaller and uses less power than the Sandy Bridge, but is not really faster, especially if you overclock because you can't overclock an Ivy nearly as much as a Sandy. Does anyone know anything about that? Which one would be a better choice for a Hackintosh, in terms of compatibility?

Both are equally compatible, however I would recommend Ivy because its newer and the overclocking thing wont affect you unless you go really high.

Both are equally compatible, however I would recommend Ivy because its newer and the overclocking thing wont affect you unless you go really high.

Thanks for the response. Actually, I want to try something I saw on a video produced by NewEgg (on YouTube) where they make an i7 2600K run at 5.2GHz, with air cooling only! They were presenting a new motherboard by Asus which comes with a software that allows you to do everything you would normally have to do in the Bios. Pretty sweet. No more :beachball: , I would hope. I'll look for the video and will put the link here if I find it. Note that this was done on a PC, with Win7 (I think). I wonder if it would work on a hackintosh but I don't see why not since the software doesn't run on Windows. I don't think OS X would mind 5.2GHz to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back