Contribute
Register

OSX Mavericks / ASUS G750JX - INSTALLATION GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. I've got a complete installation up and running. I have a few questions though:

How did you get clover up and running (with what settings?) as I've had issues with it. I can get my BIOS to recognize and to even boot to it's boot loader but from there, after selecting Mac OS X, it goes to a black screen.

Other than that, how did you change your 'system definition'? The only way I know to do this is through your bootloader (like Clover).

Hey Peanut, I just updated the first post to include answers to I think most if not all of your questions. I have a clover config.plist for you to use.. Just follow the CLOVER guide I have in there.

Hey Bozster congratulations for getting this to work!

I got a question for you because I'm willing to try your installation method on my ASUS G55VW and you got your gpu working, which is the most important part imo. So here's the question: are you using a 3D screen? Because afaik the only people with no integrated graphics and who can use their nvidia card are those who have a 3D screen on their lappy. Thanks!

Nope, no 3d screen.

Thanks Bozster. I've got everything up and running with Clover and audio working now. Only real thing I need now is to find a way to enable iCloud and change the display brightness. Other than that, everything is solid.

I'll look into ways to fix those two issues. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Hi man @Bozster . I am Anuj from India. Listen i need your help! the system specs of my laptop (ASUS G750JX-CV069P) is in the link below.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...7-my-latop-compatible-run-mac-system-info.txt

My Questions to you are as follows :

1) My wifi card is Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter and i have read that this card is not compatible with Mac, So what should i do? is there a kext for this Adaptor? I saw your thread on ROG forums and there one member had the same Adapter so you suggested some kexts will those kext work?

2) My bios is 207 so do i have to update to 208 and then proceed to install Mac or can i install mac on 207 bios itself?

3) My Sound Card i dont know so voodoo will help and support my laptop?

4) My laptop has a 3D Screen so will that cause any problem? is there any specific kext required for the 3D Screen?

5) (Not related to Mac Install) My hands are oily so the keyboard and its surrounding tends to get that smudge and i dont like that, is there any silicon based cover for this laptop which not only covers the keyboard but also its surroundings till the mouse trackpad? I couldnt find any on Google. Also my Screen also tends to get the finger prints so is there any Screen Guard with matte finish available for this laptop? what did u do with yours?

PS : In case you dont wanna open the attachment link i gave u, u can see my thread
http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/108701-my-latop-compatible-run-mac.html

Also i had Zero Bright Dot on my laptop so m waiting for a replacement laptop. I have already submitted to Asus Service Centre. Till then i thought will clear out my questions.

Thanks man in advance from clearing my doubts.

Thanks Bozster. I've got everything up and running with Clover and audio working now. Only real thing I need now is to find a way to enable iCloud and change the display brightness. Other than that, everything is solid.

I'll look into ways to fix those two issues. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Brightness you can either

A) try to hack the DSDT and have the backlight keys kext someone made that enables ASUS laptop function keys that control all of it (I didn't have time to screw around a lot with it and some things worked and most things didn't so you can try and mess around with that)

B) Get some OSX utilities that do it through software.. Brightness on Mac App Store is a solid choice but there are many others. They basically do the same thing and allow you even more control and automatic adjustments depending on time of day.

iCloud I have no clue because i don't care about it. I use Google everything so I'm very happy with it.

Hi man @Bozster . I am Anuj from India. Listen i need your help! the system specs of my laptop (ASUS G750JX-CV069P) is in the link below.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...7-my-latop-compatible-run-mac-system-info.txt

My Questions to you are as follows :

1) My wifi card is Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter and i have read that this card is not compatible with Mac, So what should i do? is there a kext for this Adaptor? I saw your thread on ROG forums and there one member had the same Adapter so you suggested some kexts will those kext work?

I think you are out of luck.. many have reported their revisions of laptop has the Atheros AR9485 card.. You can try this:

Try the following for Atheros AR9485

I suggest you copy the IO80211Family.kext to your desktop from S/L/E

1. Show packages on S/L/E on IO80211Family.kext and look under plugins
2. Locate there AirPortAtheros40.kext and Show Package contents there
3. Locate the info.plist and locate Atheros Wireless LAN PCI entries:

<array>
<string>pci168c,30</string>
<string>pci168c,2a</string>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,23</string>
<string>pci168c,24</string>

and add the following under these

<string>pci168c,32</string>
<string>pci168c,0032</string>

These are the addresses for the Atheros AR9485

Save the changes and then use KextWizard to install this kext into S/L/E so it will properly overwrite the original one and then rebuild cache and repair permissions (KextWizard has that option under the first tab in it)

Once you have that done, reboot and see if the Atheros AR9485 works and you see notification that you have Wifi and then go to System Preferences under Network and you should see Wifi there and enable it.

You should also see under System Information and under Software/Wifi whether or not OSX Mavericks recognized AR9485. Probably not but try it.

2) My bios is 207 so do i have to update to 208 and then proceed to install Mac or can i install mac on 207 bios itself?

Shouldn't matter but I guess you should update to the latest BIOS anyways to get all the fixes they do.

3) My Sound Card i dont know so voodoo will help and support my laptop?

VoodooHDA 2.8.4 should work. Just don't forget when you install it to go to OSX Settings under Audio and change the output for sound effects and system to Analog output.

4) My laptop has a 3D Screen so will that cause any problem? is there any specific kext required for the 3D Screen?

Don't have 3D screen so I can't tell you how it's going to react as i have no idea.. however I don't see why it wouldn't work. Screen as a screen will show what it is by default.. OSX/Macs don't have 3D screens so any usage of 3D screen will be ignored.

5) (Not related to Mac Install) My hands are oily so the keyboard and its surrounding tends to get that smudge and i dont like that, is there any silicon based cover for this laptop which not only covers the keyboard but also its surroundings till the mouse trackpad? I couldnt find any on Google. Also my Screen also tends to get the finger prints so is there any Screen Guard with matte finish available for this laptop? what did u do with yours?

No clue.. sorry.

Hi!

Can you make a full backup of your clover folder?

Not sure what you are asking.. Are you asking me whether or not I can make a copy of my own clover folder and post it up OR whether or not you can backup the clover folder yourself?

After installing, I've managed to get to the configuration screen booting with "-f -x" parameters in clover. It went in safe mode, no network card, and I completed the initial process.

Then tried to merge my Clover folder with the kexts from your zip, now I can reach the desktop without "-f -x" but I don't have a working keyboard and no network. :(

Activated on screen keyboard and tried to reinstall Clover and Clover Configurator.

First, Clover will not do a successful install if I check the first option with UEFI motherboard.

Second, by mistake I think I clicked to install Clover on the Mavericks partition (it was defaulting to this), instead of the small Clover partition. How can I remove it from Mavericks and force it to the Clover so I can experiment?

Third, Clover Configurator fails to install whatever I do. And I can't see the EFI partition/folder, can't enable it, is there any other way to enable that partition so I can copy kexts in MacOS? So far I'm copying the kexts in Windows with HFS+ support, but I have a feeling I'm not doing the right thing.

I am not sure what laptop you are running but you shouldn't even have to type -f -x. if your laptop is different from ASUS G750JX I can't really help you there much. And Clover should install fine unless you are installing it on a non-UEFI laptop. Then, yeah, my tutorial won't work. Keep in mind that most of the things I do are tailored specifically to ASUS G750JX series of laptops (interupts, vendor IDs, product IDs are going to be different from laptop to laptop including BIOSses and other things).

Do I have to fix permissions after I move those kexts all around?

You should fix permissions and rebuild cache every time you do stuff with kexts. Use Kext Wizard's utility and it has a nice single click button that will do it all for you.

How do I see logs of what is happening when I install Clover and Clover Configurator?

Not sure, I don't there is one really unless something fail. You should ask about these specific Clover questions on the forums where they discuss it I really don't know.

The two plists files in the root of your zip are not for Clover right? I should ignore them, right?

Included are smbios.plist, chameleon plist file and config.plist in the CLOVER folder of the zip. Config.plist is the clover config file and there's a read me in that folder.

Clover Configurator has an option in the menus to mount UEFI partition as "EFI" where you can see Clover files along with config.plist.

I added UPDATE 7 relating to CPU power management and CPU blasting at full x32 nonstop to the initial post. Update 7 has solution that Rehabman noted with 10.8.5 patched Intel CPU Powermanagement kext.

8. Once the installation finishes you will get a message how OSX Mavericks can't set the startup disc. This is FINE! Don't worry.
This is Abhishek from INDIA
I didn't get this message and wen i replaced the mach_kernal and rebooted wid the usb the Screen goes black a few minutes after the apple loading screen and remains black
pls help __/\__ :crazy:

Screen goes black a few minutes after the apple loading screen and remains black
I'm able to boot properly in safe mode but I'm unable to install the customisation options from the Multibeast in the safe mode . but still not able to boot without any boot options.:problem:
Any ideas :idea: pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back