Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
dmemoryleak said:
SnoopDuJour said:
dmemoryleak said:
Just to be clear, did you run some of the cuda examples? Just installing the cuda drivers and the package does not run any cuda code. You need to compile and run one of the example.
No, just downloaded and installed. is compiling the code straight forward (I've never done this before)
Thanks

Its not too complicated but I don't know yet if this will solve the problem so I don't know if you feel like spending time on a completely untested solution.

Basically you will first need to install the Developer tools from your macosx DVD (they can also be downloaded online but you need to register to Apple Developer's Connection I think (it's free, just visit Apple's website). Once the developer tools are installed you can install the GPU Computing examples. They will be in "/Developer/GPU Computing"

Once installed just open a terminal and do
Code:
cd /Developer/GPU\ Computing/C/
make
cd bin/darwin/release

then just type the name of one of the example to run it. For some reason the example that required some random number generator did not run properly but all the others did work. You can try FDTD3d, volumeRenderer for example. Those I know work for sure.

Let me know if you decide to try!

I went ahead and ran the command above.
I did the Mandelbrot, FDTD3d, and smokeparticles. Pretty cools stuff. Other apps stayed in the terminal window saying 'Passed'
What is this supposed to tell me?

from my experience, a cheap low-resource way to prevent crashing was to run an iTunes visualization in the background. i forgot which one i used, but i left it on an unused Space/desktop, and the performance hit was rather minimal on a quad core.

SnoopDuJour said:
I went ahead and ran the command above.
I did the Mandelbrot, FDTD3d, and smokeparticles. Pretty cools stuff. Other apps stayed in the terminal window saying 'Passed'
What is this supposed to tell me?

Ok so you ran a CUDA code successfully. :thumbup: On my card this leaves the card in high power mode afterward. My guess is that this will have a similar effect to flashing the BIOS to change the power settings or running something in the background to keep the GPU active.

Now the big question is, do you still get freezes and kernel panics after that?

Remember you need to run an example after each boot to kick the card in high power mode for this to have any effect.

Hi,

I've done some tests with OpenGL Extensions Viewer and noticed that the driver doesn't support almost any instructions from OpenGL 3.0 and up. Please see attachment.

I read this whole thread (took me a while... 45 pages so far), tried a few of the solutions (not the custom firmware... too scary).

I'm using:

Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Galaxy GTX 460 CG 1GB
Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 @2.8GHz

openglextview.png

Attachments

• openglextview.png
    openglextview.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 210
tworems said:
Hi,

I've done some tests with OpenGL Extensions Viewer and noticed that the driver doesn't support almost any instructions from OpenGL 3.0 and up. Please see attachment.

I read this whole thread (took me a while... 45 pages so far), tried a few of the solutions (not the custom firmware... too scary).

I'm using:

Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Galaxy GTX 460 CG 1GB
Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

It is my understanding that 10.6.6 does not support OpenGL 3.0 fully yet, this has been something people have wanted since 10.6.3 (which began adding minor support for OpenGL 3.0). Hence its not the driver, its the platform aka OS X.

RevisionZero said:
tworems said:
Hi,

I'm using:

Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Galaxy GTX 460 CG 1GB
Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

It is my understanding that 10.6.6 does not support OpenGL 3.0 fully yet, this has been something people have wanted since 10.6.3 (which began adding minor support for OpenGL 3.0). Hence its not the driver, its the platform aka OS X.

I had no idea about this. Thank you for the info!

momavujisic said:
Thread seems to be dead! D:

Has everyone given up?

I'm in the midst of looking for someone to trade his 5850 with my Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB + Cash.

My other rig with Zotac GTX 460 1GB (ref. design) doesn't freeze so I'm sticking with that.

hey !
I've given up as well.
Selling back my 460 and i'm getting a 5850 instead.

I beg your pardon AMD for trading my 4870 for an nvidia card...
sorry, it will never happen again i promise !

momavujisic said:
Thread seems to be dead! D:

Has everyone given up?

Not giving up here. Just taking a break until Nvidia/Apple/Netkas gives me something else to try.

In the meantime, the 5770 will get me by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back