Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers=So

I have been experiencing the 'Fermi Freeze since I bought my GTS450.
I recently read on this forum that Chameleon doesn't support the Fermi cards, so I disabled the GraphicEnabler = Yes in my com.apple.boot.plist then rebooted

Before making this change, I would have to reboot every 5-10 min, as my machine would Freeze.
I've been running stable for 3 days now. The one app that always crashed my machine, now works fine, and saves it's files as expected (like on my macbookpro) Copying files poses no problem now.
Safari still causes some problems, but I am able to kill app. Desktop stable, Safari not.

SnoopDuJour said:
I recently read on this forum that Chameleon doesn't support the Fermi cards, so I disabled the GraphicEnabler = Yes in my com.apple.boot.plist then rebooted

Before making this change, I would have to reboot every 5-10 min my machine Freeze.
I've been running stable for 3 days now. The one app that always crashed my machine, now works fine, and saves it's files as expected (like on my macbookpro) Copying files poses no problem now.
Safari still causes some problems, but I am able to kill app. Desktop stable, Safari not.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm doing a render right now otherwise I would; still using the looping video trick.

theLorax said:
SnoopDuJour said:

Before making this change, I would have to reboot every 5-10 min my machine Freeze.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm doing a render right now otherwise I would; still using the looping video trick.

If you did that, you'd lose QE/CI, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Snoop, after removing graphics enabler have you tried the Widget ripple test?

Dashboard ripple test FAILS. My video resolutions are also basic, 1280x1024 from com.apple.boot.plist GraphicMode=1280x1024x32.
What applications would this affect? (3D or rendering apps, or ??)

I am happy the system isn't freezing every5-10 min, but would like a fully functional machine.
Will the updated fermi drivers on this site help with the freezing? Any success stories out there?

dmemoryleak said:
I removed my 460GTX a week ago because I really needed to run some simulations (a couple of weeks-long) so I could not keep testing my 460. I can't reboot for the next 3 weeks or so.

I came across something in my last few tests that I am wondering if somebody would like to try as I won't be able to for a while. I installed the CUDA driver and all the examples from NVIDIA. I noticed that after running a CUDA example once, my card would remain in high power mode afterward until the next reboot. My MSI N460GTX Hawk has a set of LEDs to check that. Usually I would have somewhere between 2 and 6 LEDs on and it would vary depending on how much the GPU is working. After running a CUDA example however it would stay stuck with 6 LEDs on. I am curious if once kicked in high power mode and stuck there if the freezes would go away. I should say that I use MacPro3,1 and and have NullCPUPowerManagement installed at the moment so I don't think any kext is playing a role in switching the the power mode (except maybe the cuda driver). For those of you using some wallpaper solution or the like, this might do the trick while requiring something to be run only once at startup...

I will probably test this later but if somebody feels like giving it a try, please keep us posted!

I installed the CUDA developer driver, the cuda toolkit and the GPU computing SDK code sample. All can be found here:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda_3_2_downloads.html

I installed the dev package, as well as the other 2 you listed. My system appears to be stable for about 30 min at a time before freezing with general web surfing. I'll leave it running all night doing nothing and see if it is frozen, or running in the AM.
Where do I find the wallsaver everyone has mentioned in previous posts?
thanks

No luck on a running system. My Hackintosh build was frozen with I woke up.
I have just added NullCPUMGMT.ketx from Multibeast 3.1 and will see if no sleep works.
sometimes I feel like I am just a :beachball:

SnoopDuJour said:
I have just added NullCPUMGMT.ketx from Multibeast 3.1 and will see if no sleep works.

I've tried this (though with SleepEnabler.kext) with no success. To my knowledge the only person who has managed to get a reliable fix going edited their vgabios so the bottom 2 of the 4 power states of the gpu (P00? and P03?) were identical to the 2nd (P12?). When I tried that, the system would boot to garbled graphics, and no other bios config I've tried has stopped freezes completely. The best I've had is about is 3 hours of web surfing.

I'm starting to think this is hopeless until Nvidia releases a 4/5xx series card for Mac. Unfortunately the've exited the chipset business, so it will have to be a mac pro, which aren't normally used for anything except professional CAD/video editing/etc. If only ATI made a good graphics card which isn't enormous; I would have bought that instead!

Found this on the Apple forums:

"Replaced the 5870 with a Quardo 4000. Had major fits with current Gefen 2X2 DVIDL switch along with the supporting cable convertors.
I have that under control using some voodoo but now we ran into a new problem.
The system freezes and crashes time to time.
This machine is used for AE CS5, REDCine X, FCP and Avid.
It doesnt crash during software use. It seems to die when idle.
I shut-off all sleep options (set it to Never) to see if thats causing it.
We need this box to be stable."

One example of the actual mac quadro card doing exactly the same thing. Maybe this will get fixed...

SnoopDuJour said:

After installing the NullSleep kext, and the Developer Video drivers, my system hasn't locked up yet. I am currently remote controlling it from work. Full Qe/Ci, and no crashes so far... keeping fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back