Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
real3x said:
Still testing the bios trick, if anyone with the same card want to try, i attached default and modded bios.

Shouldn't the 324 values in column 6 be 1800, in order to hold your GPU memory speed constant? I think in the original example, all the numbers in column 6 were the same for each profile.

file.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't the 324 values in column 6 be 1800, in order to hold your GPU memory speed constant? I think in the original example, all the numbers in column 6 were the same for each profile.

I try to keep 2 profiles : 3D performance and 3D lower (for desktop) so i decided to just copy/paste the 3D lower to 2D desktop.

Next step is to wait 3 day without kp, i never passed more than an uptime around 30hours.
We'll see ...

macgaga said:
... which Graphic card you would use instead of Fermi ?

GT240 ? GTS250 ? 9800/8800 ?

I'm hopeful that my GTS remains stable (two days so far). My GTS 250 is flat-out solid as a rock.

hawgguy said:
macgaga said:
... which Graphic card you would use instead of Fermi ?

GT240 ? GTS250 ? 9800/8800 ?

I'm hopeful that my GTS remains stable (two days so far). My GTS 250 is flat-out solid as a rock.

It's really too bad that Apple didn't include support for Fermi in 10.6.6. Maybe next time... I would think that it's a PITA for Quadro Mac Pro owners to have to download from the NVIDIA site...

I have my BIOS modded for few days now. Arguably the KP issue is getting better, as now I witness kp less often than it used to be. But it's hard to reproduce the scenario, so I think I will have to reserve my conclusion on that.

I guess I am not as lucky as a few other members here, the KP issue still bothers me. I suppose it's possible my exception may due to fact that I am running dual monitor. One thing I would like to bring up is that the KP I am having now seems to be different from what it used to be. The KP used to produce a bunch of error code on the screen, but now it just give me a dead screen with no further information. And if you look into it carefully, you may notice there is a tiny square shaped distortion on the top-left corner with a size of maybe 5-10 pixels. This looks like identical to what the OP described.

I am stuck with wallsaver for now. So far this is the only approach proved stable to me. Fingers crossed hoping Apple's next update will have official support for Fermi.

My specs if anyone is interested:

Core2 Quad 6600
Asus P5Q (Bios version 2112)
8GB Ram (4x2)
Asus GTX 460 1GB

I just noticed that EVGA released a new firmware for some of the GTX 4xx cards a few days ago. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=498804&mpage=1

They say it has some compatibility improvements. I updated my GTX 460 and I am going to try to see if it makes any difference without the clock speed mod.

Anyway, see if there are firmware updates for your card and I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference on my end.

I've been checking for firmware updates fairly regularly. So far, I don't think Asus has released any.

@DrJohnnyFever: I'd be curious to know if there are any changes to the clock rate settings in the updated bios from eVGA (besides the increase in the maximum clock rate)... I wonder if maybe the 'compatibility fixes' are similar to what you suggested earlier :)

@hawgguy

I get a kp, so now i've put all memory state at 1800, hope this is it ...

From here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1372909

"22. (added 20100830) 10.6.4 through 10.6.5 will severely decrease NVIDIA GPU performance by causing it's three clocks to always run at level 0 low power mode.

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.
The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, see nvclock0.8b5_7-darwin/src/backend/info.c (link below) for others.
This is to allow the GPU to have power management; level 2 high power when stressed, and down clocking to level 0 when not stressed (~10C lower).
The GPU clock will be at level 0 after sleep and wake, but the shader and memory clocks will temporarily be stuck at level 2.
However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will return to level 0.

The following solutions cause the three clocks to always run at level 2;
Use MacPro3,1 in smbios.plist.
or
Delete AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.
or
Use the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f', which needs to be set again after sleep and wake;
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... topic=1246"

You guys Know about this?

chancekang said:
I have my BIOS modded for few days now. Arguably the KP issue is getting better, as now I witness kp less often than it used to be. But it's hard to reproduce the scenario, so I think I will have to reserve my conclusion on that.

Motherboard BIOS (PCI) or GPU ROM (clock, memory)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back