Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
dmemoryleak said:
txusic said:
sctony said:
So for the record, an MSI N460GTX Hawk flashed with a Gigabyte GTX460OC rev2 BIOS seems to solve my KP. I guess I will get back in a few days to confirm stability over a more statistically significant time period.

Have you checked the nvidia BIOS version of those 2 roms? (You can see it in nibitor or FBE) I did post a number of weeks ago in this thread saying there had been a firmware update to fix PM issues, the fix may be related to a specific nvidia release version.

I use MacPro3,1 otherwise my Cinebench OpenGL tests are dismal. I also tried adding my card id in AppleGraphicsManagement.kext but in the end MacPro3,1 worked better for me. That did not solve the freeze problem though!

shaithis said:
Have you checked the nvidia BIOS version of those 2 roms? (You can see it in nibitor or FBE) I did post a number of weeks ago in this thread saying there had been a firmware update to fix PM issues, the fix may be related to a specific nvidia release version.

My original BIOS version was:
Version: 70.04.1B.00.02
Vendor: MSI
Date: 09/07/10
GF104 Board - 10410001

I replaced it with :
Version: 70.04.13.00.01
Vendor: Gigabyte
Date: 07/14/10
GF104 Board - 10410001

So both ROM are a few months old. The gigabyte one is even older apparently. I am now trying a more recent MSI BIOS file from december.

How come you don't just have chameleon load your testing roms? Wondering because I am going to start testing roms soon. I don't have an extra HD to try windows on so I am going to find roms and have chameleon load them, no need for window OR risk flashing mistakes.

dmemoryleak said:
shaithis said:

My original BIOS version was:
Version: 70.04.1B.00.02
Vendor: MSI
Date: 09/07/10
GF104 Board - 10410001

I replaced it with :
Version: 70.04.13.00.01
Vendor: Gigabyte
Date: 07/14/10
GF104 Board - 10410001

So both ROM are a few months old. The gigabyte one is even older apparently. I am now trying a more recent MSI BIOS file from december.

I am not an expert but I don't think flashing a different vendor's bios is a very good idea, unless you are 100% sure that they share the exact same specs and settings. It's not irreversible, but definitely sounds a bit too risky to me.

For those who stick with wallsaver, do you guys have to restart the app every once a while? It randomly stop working every hour or two on my system. I have to manually re-activate it from time to time, very annoying.

chancekang, do you by chance have Little Snitch installed? If so, every time the LS window pops up to ask you to approve a connection, it will stop the Wallsaver. I could find no workaround.

boardmember said:
chancekang, do you by chance have Little Snitch installed? If so, every time the LS window pops up to ask you to approve a connection, it will stop the Wallsaver. I could find no workaround.

Yes, you are right! But I think it quits more often than that. Sometimes it stops running even if there are no events from LS.

Anyhow, I tried Mach Desktop instead. So far so good. It's 4.99 in the Mac App Store. But I found a trial version here: http://goo.gl/aud3b, so you can try it before purchase. This one works fine with LS and some of its themes consumes less cpu resources than wallsaver. The one I go with is "Dwarf", it uses less than 4% of cpu versus 7~8% in wallsaver(flurry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back