Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bidule200 said:
Still no freeze with PCI-E Clock = 100Mhz.

Seems to be working. Not sluggish at all, I even played Portal with max settings and no problem.

Strange that 100MHz is able to solve it as that's the default speed.

I'm testing mine with 103MHz which is a slight overclock over the default 100MHz.

Will post here if it works but it does feel less sluggish though not as smooth as my other Fermi rig that doesn't freeze.

Ok i also tried the PciE Frequency set to 100!!!
And what should i say it totally fixed the crashes it seems and the system
runs very smooth now too !
Running my mac straight for 15 hours now :)
Before that it crashed most times after 5 - 30 minutes !!!

Thank you very much for the Tip

subzeo said:

Seems to have worked for me too... at least for the last 20 hours (no K/Ps or freezes). I've been testing it at 103Mhz though. :think:

Inrvuuvamp said:
subzeo said:

Seems to have worked for me too... at least for the last 20 hours (no K/Ps or freezes). I've been testing it at 103Mhz though. :think:

Me three. Stable for the past day.

I had a feeling that as soon as I ordered an ATI 5870 replacement, we would come up with a Fermi-Fix.

Two questions:

1. Why does this work?
2. Why 100 Mhz?

Setting PCI-E frequency from Auto to 100 mhz increased stability slightly as I was able to use the computer without freeze for about 30 minutes as oppose to ~5 minutes. Shoddy drivers are going to need a lot of compensation I guess...

Does any one here use PCI Express trick with a smbios other than MacPro3,1 ?
PCI Express trick doesnt work on MacPro4,1 with edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement (freezing issue).
in MacPro3,1 , everything is working but when u put system in Idle and then for example click on applications icon it does not appear so smoothly. but in MacPro4,1 with edited management everything were smooth even in idle... Any solution for this problem in MacPro3,1?

I kinda solved my freezing issue by setting performance enhance option to Normal under Advanced Memory Settings in BIOS.

Before that I could easily freeze my system in 30 or so minutes. Now system is stable more than 24 hours. During that time I played Warcraft III and Torchlight, worked in Photoshop CS5 and Xcode. All that time (except games) there were Chrome, Adium and iTunes running their tasks in background. I even tried transcoding some 1080p video which lasted for some 45 minutes and had no problems also.

I see no performance drop downs and my PCI-E is on Auto.

My system is P55A-UD4 (2nd rev) running F15 BIOS. Graphics card is Gigabyte's GTX460 1 GB GDDR5. I'm using MacPro3,1 plist file.

Don't know if it's gonna work for everybody but it's worth a try. Thought it's interesting to share...

Cheers.

Edward said:
I kinda solved my freezing issue by setting performance enhance option to Normal under Advanced Memory Settings in BIOS.

Before that I could easily freeze my system in 30 or so minutes. Now system is stable more than 24 hours. During that time I played Warcraft III and Torchlight, worked in Photoshop CS5 and Xcode. All that time (except games) there were Chrome, Adium and iTunes running their tasks in background. I even tried transcoding some 1080p video which lasted for some 45 minutes and had no problems also.

I see no performance drop downs and my PCI-E is on Auto.

My system is P55A-UD4 (2nd rev) running F15 BIOS. Graphics card is Gigabyte's GTX460 1 GB GDDR5. I'm using MacPro3,1 plist file.

Don't know if it's gonna work for everybody but it's worth a try. Thought it's interesting to share...

Cheers.

Isn´t MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 a definition for 32 bit machines?
I thought MacPro5,1 defined the xeon CPU for 64 bits.. is that an issue?

thanx

No joy for me, I tried the setting in BIOS and froze in a couple hours. The Wallsaver fix still works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back