Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netkas just wrote about new nvidia drivers in MaxOSXUpd10.6.7foriMacEarly2011.dmg. It's version 256.02.05 with fermi support. I'm going to test it right now.
BTW, there're also IDs for GTX570/580 in it :D

Growl still cause crash... need to wait for the next release...

My GTX460 is stable. The performance is ~75% the from Windows, but the system is stable. I have model and render in Cinema4D 4.30h with no KP or freeze. I used the nVidia update method.

GTX4XX cards are stable if you turn off any power saving fetaures of the VGA to prevent the card to lower the GPU freqances. I turned of all power saving features from Snow Leopard and I used the wallsaver method. The wallsaver software transforms any screensaver in wallpaper and the GPU must do some work to animate 1920x1080 pixels (my LCD) = the freqances are not droping.

Download wallsaver from here.

Alsow if you set manual in Bios the PCIE to 100Mhz, may have the same results and the GPU freqancy will never drop to power-save but I have no time to test the theory

/// Sorry for my English

THE SEARCH IS OVER NOW

Enabling OpenCL for Fermi GF100 cards for Lion
May 14th 2011 Posted to Lion, Nvidia
Latest Lion update (as well as previous one) disables opencl functionality for gtx480/gtx470.
Looks like it was made intentionally, because you can enable it changing just two bytes in GL driver , one for 32-bit part and one for 64-bit part.
You need to patch this file: /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver
Find
a8 83 f8 02 8b 45 f0
replace 02 with 03 to get
a8 83 f8 03 8b 45 f0
Find
ea 83 f8 02 49 8b
replace 02 with 03 to get
ea 83 f8 03 49 8b

http://netkas.org/?p=794

I`ve already sold my gtx 460 (GF100) and now i have gtx 470 (GF104), ut Im very happy for the solution,and for all of you, thanks to NETKAS again.

I read all the pages of this thread but I suggest to add the most significative findings on the OP.

I think the most efective solution is to edit the video bios and flash it, although I don't want to do that because with higher clocks the card overheats.

In my case I works fine on windows. Zero freezes or BSODs and I can confirm that my card's clocks changes very often when browsing the web or playing games. On OS X it's another story, I have constant KPs even when changing the PCI Express speed, QPI Link, etc.

Using NullCPUPowerManagement does nothing to my system and I get the same temps with or without it. On idle I get about 29 degrees and 52 on load.

I also think that enabling HDMI audio with a proper DSDT edit should help but I need assistance. For example, my GTS450 is not on PEGP on the DSDT, it's on POP3 section.

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202011-05-18%20a%20las%2017.48.30.png

That's why I need your help.

Maybe enabling properly HDMI audio + graphics through DSDT without GraphicsEnabler could help. I'm currently using WallSaver to keep the card busy.

Greetings from Venezuela.

My motherboard is an EVGA P55 Micro with Chimera 1.3 installed on EFI partition.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2011-05-18 a las 17.48.30.png
    Captura de pantalla 2011-05-18 a las 17.48.30.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 324
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back