Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left IdleInterval to 250 and only edited the Threshold values leaving the last value on both Threshold Low and High to 0.

It's working for me.

Make sure you're using a MacPro4,1 smbios and deleted AppleTyMCE kext or your PC will KP on boot when set to MacPro4,1.

Already did that. Exactly same freezing after a couple of minutes.

I'm back on the looping background video...

Bidule200 said:
I left IdleInterval to 250 and only edited the Threshold values leaving the last value on both Threshold Low and High to 0.

It's working for me.

Make sure you're using a MacPro4,1 smbios and deleted AppleTyMCE kext or your PC will KP on boot when set to MacPro4,1.

Already did that. Exactly same freezing after a couple of minutes.

I'm back on the looping background video...

That's weird. I haven't had a single freeze in 2 days. I'm booting at 64bits and enabled all the power saving features, screensaver and all the stuff known to produce the freezes. This is obviously working for me.

Cheers!

i have to say - after fiddling this for the last two hours (holy crap it's 3:30am), i think editing AGPM could actually be a temporary solution until Lion rolls around with their updated drivers. granted, this could also necessitate flashing your card's bios to increase the lowest two core/memory/voltage states, but here's where i'm at right now.

i've edited AGPM to effectively have only 3 power states for the GTX460 on an iMac 12,1. console is only showing the card switching between states 1 and 2, with the lowest (3) ignored except for a few seconds upon first boot. i've also increased the time between switching states, just in case the freeze is caused by too many rapid state changes.

for those using iMac12,1 in your SMBIOS with a GTX460, please try this AGPM.kext out and see if it works. you'll need to replace the one currently in your S/L/E. use something like Kext Utility b7 if you are unsure how to add it manually while repairing permissions. except for logging the state changes, there should be no other error messages in your console. :)

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    69.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 4.00.59 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 4.00.59 AM.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 272
left the hack on all night, part time playing a flash movie that's rendered by the GPU using dual DVI output. the card kept switching only between states 1 and 2 a few times per hour. no crash yet.

i"m having this really intresting thing with my cuda. after i installed new fermi drivers i lost cuda, used netkas method to get it back. after i rebooted, cuda somehow downloaded new updated drivers (version 4.0.14). cuda-z tells me that there's no cuda found. where did these new cuda drivers come from? and how to get my cuda cores back?

scorcho said:
i have to say - after fiddling this for the last two hours (holy crap it's 3:30am), i think editing AGPM could actually be a temporary solution until Lion rolls around with their updated drivers. granted, this could also necessitate flashing your card's bios to increase the lowest two core/memory/voltage states, but here's where i'm at right now.

i've edited AGPM to effectively have only 3 power states for the GTX460 on an iMac 12,1. console is only showing the card switching between states 1 and 2, with the lowest (3) ignored except for a few seconds upon first boot. i've also increased the time between switching states, just in case the freeze is caused by too many rapid state changes.

for those using iMac12,1 in your SMBIOS with a GTX460, please try this AGPM.kext out and see if it works. you'll need to replace the one currently in your S/L/E. use something like Kext Utility b7 if you are unsure how to add it manually while repairing permissions. except for logging the state changes, there should be no other error messages in your console. :)

Interesting, the MacPro4,1 doesn't have a P-State Boost section. However, I'm noticing that your first values on the Threshold section are too low. Therefore, your card is not getting into state 0 which is the one with high clock rate and the one that gives full performance.

To try that, run Cinebench and see how many FPS dou you get. You normally should get around 27+ FPS but after seeing that the card only enters in states 1 and 2, you should get between 15 and 20 FPS.

Try using these values:

Code:
<array>
							<integer>99</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
							<integer>0</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>40</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>90</integer>
							<integer>0</integer>
						</array>

Cheers!

el_charlie said:
Interesting, the MacPro4,1 doesn't have a P-State Boost section. However, I'm noticing that your first values on the Threshold section are too low. Therefore, your card is not getting into state 0 which is the one with high clock rate and the one that gives full performance.
I tried it without the boost section, but leaving that out left me with literally hundreds of error messages in the console each second while playing any type of video. I made a hunch that adding the Boost section would remove the errors, and it did :D

I've also branched this off to a separate topic - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20367

I'm not so interested in keeping the card always at the highest state, but just to prevent the freeze. So far I have it locked at state 1, though I've yet to push it to 0. I'll download Cinebench and give it a whirl, but I've not seen any performance degradation in XBench.

Thanks! :D

Just ran the Cinebench benchmark - here's my results.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 2.34.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 2.34.54 PM.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 259
I'm trying different values for High Threshold and Low Threshold.

No freeze for an hour now.

Still hoping...

EDIT
Just got a nice Kernel Panic

And now it doesn't even recognize my card, Chameleon says :
ERROR: dcbtable_version is 0x0
ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

and boot in 1024x768 without QE&CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back