Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that this trailer for Duke Nukem Forever, when put into full-screen and maybe trying to pause at some point, causes a freeze every time.

Same here. Is it just a fermi thing?

macgaga said:
I only need the card for Photoshop etc. No gaming. My PC Rig is here on first place :)

So the mac would be fine with a GT240 or GTS250 as you all say. Still they are faster then the mosts cards apple builts into the imac or macbook right ?

So I go for one of these.
For Macbook they use M's (Mobile) i.e. GT330M

thejoebot23 said:
How come you don't just have chameleon load your testing roms? Wondering because I am going to start testing roms soon. I don't have an extra HD to try windows on so I am going to find roms and have chameleon load them, no need for window OR risk flashing mistakes.

That's probably a much safer way indeed. But I remember reading something somewhere (maybe in this thread?) saying that some settings were not applied this way.

So yes it is risky but if you make sure both BIOS are for the same chip it apparently works. Does not necessarily solve the freeze problem but the card still works. My first trial with a gigabyte BIOS did not work. Eventually got one freeze. I am trying a different revision by gigabyte at the moment. Without a systematic way of reproducing the freezes it is hard to prove a negative. Have to wait longer.

I tried the Duke Nukem preview suggested above but no freeze for me. Tried clicking on tabs did not work for me either. Usually the freeze happens while playing an avi in full screen mode.

I have been racking my brain to figure out why my Hackintosh keeps freezing. I've tried everything and I'm so happy to have found this thread (no pun intended). I'm glad its not just me and I don't have to keep rebuilding my computer.

It sounds like the only solutions are changing the card for something else like non-Fermi Nvidia or ATI 5770. Or use a GPU intensive app like an animated wall paper (going to try this today).

Can I ask why everyone is using Wallsaver specifically? A program like Onyx will change your OSX setting to animate your wall paper as well. I think they are both doing the same thing but Onyx gives greater flexibility for other settings in OSX.

Nvidia did release some new drivers a couple of days ago for Windows 7 64bit. How do we port those for OSX?

seamus22015 said:
Nvidia did release some new drivers a couple of days ago for Windows 7 64bit. How do we port those for OSX?
Warning Joke begins: :D

Uh yeah that's easy ... we just have to recovery the sourcecode from the driver. Using a decompiler, which recovers the databytes of machine language (or sometimes from data in the object code), to a re-readable source code in a high-level language (c, c++, c#...whatever :rolleyes:) So, as we all programmers here, after this we only have to inspect the sourcecode and try to find out which arguments we must change and/or delete or adding to the sourcecode. We just edit it to our needs and recompile it. Na that's easy, isn't it?

The only problem is, it's prohibited because it's proprietary software :( :thumbdown:

Joke end

But now seriously. I think the guys from nVidia surely know about that issue, otherwise they wouldn't offered new drivers for windows so quickly. I'm just wondering why they don't offered new drivers for MacOS. Perhaps they working on it right now...i guess we should be patiently and wait what the future might bring to us.

The ERROR-Message is here the following:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! (Look at the screenshot...).

3L1N3e0m0c1r2O0L2X1e

The sytem is randomly freezed. I don't know whats the message means!

nvda error.tiff

Attachments

• nvda error.tiff
    121.1 KB · Views: 221
KnoGo said:
The ERROR-Message is here the following:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! (Look at the screenshot...).

3L1N3e0m0c1r2O0L2X1e

The sytem is randomly freezed. I don't know whats the message means!

nvda error.tiff
For watch dog i found this:

• Watchdog is a process designed to start, monitor, and restart other processes and services as necessary to keep them running in versions 10.0.x through 10.3.x of Mac OS X Server. In versions 10.4 and later, its process monitoring role is replaced by launchd, and its restart function is replaced by watchdogtimerd.

Products Affected
    Mac OS X Server 10.3

Automatic Restart (hardware)

Watchdog also helps restart the server if its operating system becomes unresponsive (a "hang"). On computers that support automatic restart, this option can be activated in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Once activated, Watchdog periodically resets the computer's Power Management Unit (PMU) timer. If this timer expires (which happens if the system hangs), the PMU forces a restart.

there -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20622?viewlocale=en_US

That's weird, because we havn't Mac OS X Server 10.3 and no watchdog...it's replaced by launchd :eek:

Received my new pair of MSI 460GTX Hawk cards finally this friday, this time a 100% match and not a mixture of Talon versus standard. Problem that is was having remains though :( but that' s just though luck for me and not really of much interest to the rest of you.

So on with testing the Fermi freeze problem. This is my situation:

- Dual cards so GE=Yes don' t work, only DSDT edits or EFI strings. I opted for option 1 and all seems working, only Cinebench is a bit low when compared to others: around 25 that is.
- Modified AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext to match my cards id
- System is MacPro5.1 (from multibeast)

Didn't know what to make of it before since there were only 2 lockups after many hours. This time I booted with -v, worked for a couple of hours when I launched iTunes: bam lockup and then a traceback to NVDAResman and NVDAGF100Hal.

After that I fired up boinc and let it crunch in the background. It can do Cuda rendering but hasn't fetched any GPU workload as of yet, so it's just cpu load for now. Looks very promising so far, still running and that includes me sleeping and leaving the Hack all to itself. Here you go:

$ uptime
12:23 up 10:29, 2 users, load averages: 8,51 8,48 8,33

O yeah: iTunes is playing my music just fine as I type this! ;)

Tried modding my vgabios to not use the low power mode, but no success; two crashes in the last eight hours, one during WoW and one while on a website. I'm trying out the Gigabyte bios method now.
Failing that, I wonder if we could use the equivalent Quadro FX bios to fix the freezes. The GPU is identical, but crucially these drivers are for the Quadro Fermi cards, not the 400 series. Maybe matching the driver and firmware will show some positive results.

EDIT: No success with Gigabyte bios, so back to vanilla firmware

O yeah, a question: You guys seem to be able to monitor your Fermi cards, how do you managed that?

Installed the FakeSMC and related kexts form ProjectOSX, but it just tells me my GPU is not supported. Same with latest beta nvclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back