Contribute
Register

OS X El Capitan Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain me about the rootless boot flag??

I'm currently in 10.10.4 and I don't need that flag. I'm on clover 3229

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

It's a new flag for further system security, new in OS X El Capitan. Ars Technica explains it well:

System Integrity Protection, also called "rootless," is a new system security feature that prevents the user or any process from writing in system-protected folders. This list includes /System, /bin, /usr (but not /usr/local), and /sbin. Not even administrators can add to these folders or edit files that are in them, though they retain their access to the rest of the files on the drive. That's one way to protect important operating system files from external tampering!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...st-beta-is-a-promising-heap-of-refinements/4/

To disable, you can just add the kernel flag / boot argument "rootless=0" to org.chameleon.Boot.plist, config.plist, or type at boot time.

So for those who have downloaded it and set it up on a "test" machine. What have the results been so far? Any issues or things to be aware of? Thinking of doing it on a test machine here as well. From what I have been seeing it's similar to 10.10 architecturally and shouldn't have any issues.

i did an upgrade from yosemite directly

1. Lost Ethernet Native Support (i'll have to extract the kext from multibeast again since i use clover)
2. lost hdmi/mini-dp audio for r9 280x (reinstall with a kext and a command line)
3. finder windows are a little buggy (will probably be fixed after i fix the audio issue and re-do my config.plist)
4. and for those of you that use Tuxera it will have to be reinstalled also

havent had much more play time with it yet but i will later on tonight

I would have thought you'd try booting from the EFI partition. Giving similar results for most users with AMD cards. Unsure on the result of PCI SSD's but I'd figure the same...
No hardware to test. Glad it works for you.

Booting from EFI is not same as using UEFI drivers. Booting from EFI your still booting in legecy mode, slower boots etc.

Thing is my ASUS PCIe SSD has a dual mode switch, either legecy or UEFI mode, and I don't want to use it in old legecy mode. I don't understand why you want to hold on to old legecy stuff so much. You can easily move on to a proper UEFI bootloader.

* Just as a side note, do NOT use the old Intel 1000e kext, it don't work in 10.11 at all and has soo many issues even in 10.10. Use Mieze's new Intel LAN kext. Also Toleda's cloverALC is working great for 10.11, great work Toleda :D

Booting from EFI is not same as using UEFI drivers. Booting from EFI your still booting in legecy mode, slower boots etc.

Acknowledged but they both work giving the separate boot times.

Thing is my ASUS PCIe SSD has a dual mode switch, either legecy or UEFI mode, and I don't want to use it in old legecy mode. I don't understand why you want to hold on to old legecy stuff so much. You can easily move on to a proper UEFI bootloader.

If I were using a UEFI card or PCI_SSD then i'd contemplate using another boot loader to maximise results but as it stands its serves the purpose. Why would i change when it works. I thank you for your input.

Just as a side note, do NOT use the old Intel 1000e kext, it don't work in 10.11 at all and has soo many issues even in 10.10. Use Mieze's new Intel LAN kext. Also Toleda's cloverALC is working great for 10.11, great work Toleda :D

I've tried Mieze's internet and it works great but with continual use it bottle necks my wifi(Billion 7800N) Thanks for your input PJ, I enjoy your input and its noted. Intel ethernet I'm using v2.5.4d.

Sent a post to toleda,
Regards.

* Just as a side note, do NOT use the old Intel 1000e kext, it don't work in 10.11 at all and has soo many issues even in 10.10. Use Mieze's new Intel LAN kext. Also Toleda's cloverALC is working great for 10.11, great work Toleda :D

Hi PJALM, you seem to be a very knowledgeable person with regards to Clover and OS X. I'm currently on 10.10.4 using Clover (latest version I believe) and have downloaded OS X El Capitan Public Beta.

Will you create or link to a quick guide on upgrading from 10.10.4 using Clover? I'd be extremely appreciative! I assume it's mostly going to "just work," but for the things that won't, maybe you can help?

Thanks!

I've tried Mieze's internet and it works great but with continual use it bottle necks my wifi(Billion 7800N) Thanks for your input PJ, I enjoy your input and its noted. Intel ethernet I'm using v2.5.4d.

I am confused, whats a Intel Ethernet kext have to do with wifi, one does not effect the other.

Hi PJALM, you seem to be a very knowledgeable person with regards to Clover and OS X. I'm currently on 10.10.4 using Clover (latest version I believe) and have downloaded OS X El Capitan Public Beta.

Will you create or link to a quick guide on upgrading from 10.10.4 using Clover? I'd be extremely appreciative! I assume it's mostly going to "just work," but for the things that won't, maybe you can help?

Thanks!

if you want to do it a lazy way, just create a bootable os x installer, using the clover method, but without actually installing clover on to the usb, (i believe there's a new article on here with the commands you will need) but instead of erasing the efi partition (THAT IS assuming you're on the latest version of clover) just copy your 10.10 kexts to the new 10.11 and make sure you have a stable config.plist and everything should work, if you have any extra kexts to get things working, more than likely you will have to reinstall them. but that's only if you're not planning on a fresh install. with me for some reason i have to basically erase and reinstall clover everytime there's an update because my themes stop working

I've updated to 10.11 but I'm using Clover i put my kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 then i ran the app from the app store and it updated fine i am injecting using clover for Audio etc works fine for me :thumbup:

I upgraded from 10.10.4 to 10.11 beta today on my, also upgraded (2X3.46GHz 6 core Xeon) 2009 MacPro.
So the bluetooth mouse was laggy to unusable and some programs were extremely slow to start up (Disk Utility, system prefs and others) to being unusable. Several reboots improved the system somewhat but at the end of the day I restored my 10.10.4 backup. My storage is an SSD RAID0 on a PCIe card.

Perhaps a fresh install would make a difference and I may try that this weekend...and I am expecting a big and positive difference.

If that is not successful then I will wait for Beta 2 and try again.

I reinstalled the Beta again after some housekeeping on 10.10.4. The installation took much longer but the end product is good. The supplementary update for 32bit programs works. Bluetooth mouse works great.
So I am a happy camper with the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back