Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I am new to this forum. does anyone have the experience of using intel 600p (nvme) or samsung pm 951 (nvme) ssd as boot drive in hackintosh? sounds like most of the successful cases are using samsung sm 951 or 950pro ssd. Is the kext written for samsung nvme ssd only ? thanks.

I'm also trying to install a fresh OS X Sierra on an Intel 600p nvme, but the drive is not recognized by disk utility during the installation.

I'm following the official guide here

Motherboard: Intel DZ87KLT-75K
Expansion Card: Asus Hyper M.2 x4 Mini (the motherboard does not have onboard m.2 slot)
Drive: Intel 600p 256GB

What I've tried so far:

I used RehabMan's patch-nvme and created a HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext and placed it into /EFI/CLOVER/ktext/10.11
and I edited the config.plist with InjectKtext set to "yes". However the drive is still not detected.

I also tried the 10.12 ktexts, but this just causes a panic and the installer fails to load.

EDIT: After some searching I found out how to detect the drive for the installation here
However I am now stuck on the the post-installation. When I start clover bootloader from the USB, the newly installed Sierra partition does not show up. (This is after mounting and copying the EFI partition from the USB to the Sierra Drive)

Last edited:
Okay, finally got mine running (in signature).

What I did,

Download the kext on post 1 to get your NVMe to be seen in disk utility. Tried it on El Capitan and Sierra no problems.

Once in Sierra,
-Setup your system using Multibeast
-build and install your Sierra HackrNVMeFamily.kext for Sierra **and remove IONVMeFamily.kext from S/L/E
Then you should be able to boot without your installer.

For 10.12.1
Just install from app store, it will reboot and you will get KP.
-To fix it, boot with installer (not the OS but the installer itself as if you were gonna install new)
-use terminal in the installer to get to S/L/E and.... then remove file IONVMeFamily.kext once again.
then boot "without cache" into your OS.

This methods also works for
PM961 NVMe that I am using in my M.2 slot.... for now, and will be getting the adaptor sometime mid Dec.... from china...

upload_2016-11-6_9-52-38.png

@ x2 using AJA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.29.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.29.13 PM.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have Sierra installed
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5
Everything working perfectly but i am trying to install the kext file in EFI no success so far.
when I copy NVMeGeneric.kext file to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11, nothing happened still my new Samsung m.2 pro is not available. I tried to copy NVMeGeneric.kext file to EFI/Clover/kexts/other after reboot sierra is not able to boot I took a picture of screen, and I dont even have any clue about that . I attached the screen shot. is there anyone could help me ?

Attachments

• IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
Works great on my GA-Z97X-UD5H
I have the 950 EVO on a PCIe 4x card due to the M.2 slot being only 2x PCIe.
I have the same motherboard but I could not install it. I installed the kext file to 10.11 but still could not found it. Could you help me ?

As it has been abundantly said, NVMEGeneric no longer works. Even the OP has been updated with a link to the current best solution.

Hi everyone,
I have Sierra installed
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5
Everything working perfectly but i am trying to install the kext file in EFI no success so far.
when I copy NVMeGeneric.kext file to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11, nothing happened still my new Samsung m.2 pro is not available. I tried to copy NVMeGeneric.kext file to EFI/Clover/kexts/other after reboot sierra is not able to boot I took a picture of screen, and I dont even have any clue about that . I attached the screen shot. is there anyone could help me ?

As far as I know, NVMeGeneric.kext is no longer compatible with Sierra. I'm using the IONVMeFamily.kext patch by Pike R. Alpha and it's been working well (running 10.12.1 now). See here:

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data/

Last edited:
As far as I know, NVMeGeneric.kext is no longer compatible with Sierra. I'm using the IONVMeFamily.kext patch by Pike R. Alpha and it's been working well (running 10.12.1 now). See here:

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data/

I thought that the kext patch was not compatible with 10.12.1! Can people be a little more precise here? I was with my rig completely hosed for 2 days just to find out my previous method of choice still works! :(

I thought that the kext patch was not compatible with 10.12.1! Can people be a little more precise here? I was with my rig completely hosed for 2 days just to find out my previous method of choice still works! :(

I'm running 10.12.1 with the Pike R. Alpha patch right now. It is definitely compatible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back