Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it will. At least in my system it craches

I updated to 10.12.1 and before restarting I deleted the clover patch from my bootloader. Then I created a hack kext, which I placed in the USB E/E. My system is totally hosed now, won't boot under any circumstances. I was told to update using an "old" hack kext and delete IONVMEFamily.kext, which I did, but to no avail.

Help please?

No Help, MadMac. It would have been helpfull, if you have a backup (and read the experiences of others).We all have to wait antil RehabMan is ready with a patch for 10.12.1

Last edited:
No Help, MadMac. It would have been helpfull, if you have a backup (and read the experiences of others).We all have to wait antil RehabMan is ready with a patch for 10.12.1

You should be able to use the older HackrNVMeFamily provided you remove IONVMeFamily.

It will be a while for updates, as I'm not currently using an NVMe drive and am not running 10.12 anywhere important. My main desktop is the NUC Skull Canyon, and I have an NVMe drive in it, but that drive is used only for Windows. 10.11 is installed on an SM951/AHCI as it has almost the same performance but infinitely less hassle factor. On top of that, I'm very busy with other things at the moment.

10.12 is a bit of a disaster for hacks...

RehabMan,
Updated to 10.12.1 using the above procedure. The update installs a IONVMeFamily.kext, so I had to boot into my backup (HINT, HINT. Time Machine/Capsule won't do it; need a bootable backup) to remove the kext from /S/L/E/. Then, reboot to the Samesung 950 to finish the installation.

RehabMan,
Updated to 10.12.1 using the above procedure. The update installs a IONVMeFamily.kext, so I had to boot into my backup (HINT, HINT. Time Machine/Capsule won't do it; need a bootable backup) to remove the kext from /S/L/E/. Then, reboot to the Samesung 950 to finish the installation.

You could also boot into a USB installer (with KextsToPatch) and remove from Terminal within the installer.
But yes, booting into a backup partition (or a recovery partition that wasn't update) also works.
Lot's of ways to accomplish.
You could also boot directly into 10.12.1 if you had updated patches for 10.12.1 that you could place in your KextsToPatch. I haven't checked if Pike updated the patches yet on his blog.

You could also boot into a USB installer (with KextsToPatch) and remove from Terminal within the installer.
But yes, booting into a backup partition (or a recovery partition that wasn't update) also works.
Lot's of ways to accomplish.
You could also boot directly into 10.12.1 if you had updated patches for 10.12.1 that you could place in your KextsToPatch. I haven't checked if Pike updated the patches yet on his blog.
Good advise. I probably should have booted with the 10.12.0 UniBeast created USB installation thumb drive and gone the installer/Terminal route. My 10.12.0 installer thumb drive does have the KextsToPatch modified with your 10.12.0 plist contents, which works very well not only on my Gene build but on all the rest of my systems regardless if they have a NVMe SSD or not. So, one size fits all. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Update to Last Post on finding an NVMe Driver to get My Intel NVMe PCIe Drive to Work on El-Cap, I have installed Sierra Using UniBeast (Thank TonyMac) and MultiBeast ( Thanks a Lot again Tony) everything works out of the box. I can See My NVMe Drive on installation and can boot to It post Install
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 10.18.56 PM.jpg

Hey MadMac1969 and Kiu77, I also did the update and when it rebooted i couldn't boot into the drive. i used the USB installer (with KextsToPatch) and booted into my install drive and was able to boot into 10.12.1 then i removed IONVMeFamily.kext from /S/L/E. rebooted and it booted right in. Im still using HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext in my clover kext other folder. Hope this helps you guys.

This is ENORMOUSLY unclear. Many of you say you can boot in 10.12.1 using the USB installer with KextToPatch. So anyone with a working mind would think that KextToPatch is sufficient to run 10.12.1. But the Thread sits silent for days and no one can give me such a simple answer. So frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back