Contribute
Register

OS X Drive Won't boot. I simply see a BIOS message asking for a bootable HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Q77M-D2H
CPU
Core i5 3570
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

My working build refuses to boot from the OSX HDD after a Windows 7 repair operation.

I was able to successfully install and run my new build for a day. However, my wife booted into Windows 7 which ran disk-repair and now no matter what I try (re-running Unibeast, installing Chimera, doing a manual copy of boot1h, blessing the Volume) the MB won't boot off the OSX HD.

Here are the pertinent details:
Build mATX recommended build March 2013
MB: GA-Q77M-D2H
CPU: Core i5 3570
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
Hard Drive 1 for OSX (SATA Port 0): Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM (GPT/GUID Partition table)
Hard Drive2 for Win (SATA Port 1): Windows 7/Windows 8 dual boot (MBR)

Details
Everything worked fine for a day when I was able to switch back and forth between OSX and Windows 7/Windows 8.
However, last night my wife wanted to boot into Window 7 and in Chimera she started the Windows 7 partition directly rather than the standard windows one (Chimera was showing 3 windows partitions: Windows 7, Windows 8 and a blank one that actually booted).
This is when the problem started and Windows 7 tried to repair itself to no avail.

Weird Issues & Attempts at recovery
After trying several times to boot by disabling the Windows HDD I decided to re-install OSX. However,I wasn't able to see any drives in the OSX installer or disk utility. I resorted to flashing the MB BIOS and clearing DMI pool data and voila I was able to reinstall OSX. Following that I installed Chimera 2.0 and rebooted. Still no luck; I even tried writing the boot1h file manually using dd

Now here's the weird part: When I reboot I don't even see the Boot0 GPT failures just the good old fashioned BIOS message asking for a system drive. When I boot with my UniBeast Flash drive I'm able to boot just fine.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what to try next. As of this morning I have a working external drive that was cloned from the OSX HDD so all my data is backed up.

Thanks

I had the same problem and i fixed with that guide. Tanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back