Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

After experiencing a painful update (the update broke my system). I was forced to reinstall 10.8.4 from scratch. Ran multibeast with the bare minimum drivers (mainly audio and network plus a couple of customizations). Did a permission fix before rebooting. That went smooth.

I then updated using the app store download. Ran multibeast again with the same bare minimum drivers. Fixed permissions and rebooted. Viola! To my surprise, it went smoothly without a hitch. Everything works in my system as before (bluetooth, USB3.0, sound, HDMI, etc.). I checked the S/L/E for kexts and they are all there except for the GenericUSB with I didn't upload anyway.

Made a new ML 10.8.5 installer USB afterwards.

Don't bother with this update. More trouble than it's worth.
-no audio after update.
-tried MultiBeast audio rollback. No dice.
-tried DSDT and no DSDT methods. No dice.
restored DSDT and manually forced old applhda. No dice.
Max time allotment for updating surpassed. Rolled back to 10.8.4

Sorry for my long absence. I know when 10.9 goes pub
If I'll be spending lots of time on it so I'm not too interested in wasting a bunch of time on this update.

BTW. This is the first update to break audio for me since Snow.

i have no problem of this type...

Don't bother with this update. More trouble than it's worth.
-no audio after update.
-tried MultiBeast audio rollback. No dice.
-tried DSDT and no DSDT methods. No dice.
restored DSDT and manually forced old applhda. No dice.
Max time allotment for updating surpassed. Rolled back to 10.8.4

Sorry for my long absence. I know when 10.9 goes pub
If I'll be spending lots of time on it so I'm not too interested in wasting a bunch of time on this update.

BTW. This is the first update to break audio for me since Snow.
Lot of surprises with this 10.8.5 release. See toleda's responses in http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/108823-problem-after-updating-10-8-5-a.html

Look for a MultiBeast update next week.

Updated with success a GIGABYTE Z77N-WIFI MB.

Did a permission repair before and after the update.
Installed the combo update, then
Multibeast to bring back audio (no other things checked) before rebooting.

USB 3 was not working after reboot and system was unstable!
Solution: deleted the generic USB driver kext from the original Multibeast usage before the update.
USB3 works perfectly with the original Apple kext

I am very happy!!!

Fixed Jabra A320S Bluetooth by editing Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents.

From the Terminal, I did sudo -s and edited the file with vim. I copy and pasted the <key> and <dict> sections where the key was BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController_Dongle and changed idProduct from 8448 to 8449.

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Reboot; and
  8. Repair Permissions again.*

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive with the updated UniBeast v2.1; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Thx Stork. After following your step by step. Manage to solve my USB 3 issue
Now my com is updated 100% functional.

Updated from store<*>-<*> no problems, it just works.

Do not install this update!
It has killed my audio.
I have had activated both integrated and discrete graphics. After update I had to disable integrated graphics due to kp on AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.
I have also errors while loading AppleHDA, which killed my sound. I am running now on voodoo.

Followed Stork's instructions on my Asus Rampage IV Gene and the update completes. On reboot however i get stuck on Still waiting for root device. I made another partition and did a fresh install of 10.8.3 and upgraded to 10.8.5 via the combo update and still get stuck on Still waiting for root device on start up. System runs smoothly on 10.8.4. I'm just gonna hang out with 10.8.4 for a while I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back