Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0

Since i ran this supplemental update (using software update and Storks procedure) my USB3 devices randomly ejects. Idle, or during copy.
I reinstalled USB3 devices from MB5.5.3. it used to be GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6d2; now its GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6 but the issue persists.
Anyone know what i could try?
MOBO GA-Z77X-UP4-TH, i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz 16GB RAM.

I am using GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7d4 now and it looks like its better now. Can anyone else try too?

update: When i boot with it it looks fine, but unmount and remount is sometimes problematic. It gets ejected on and off. Other times it is stable.
I am testing with a Lacie Rugged and with a Sharkoon QuickPort U3 Firewire (using USB3)

Update worked great but like for many other, BT functionality was lost - integrated on MB GA-H77N-WIFI.
Tried removing preferences, rebuilding cache and etc. BT devices are visible, but pairing is not possible:

Code:
15/10/2013 15:59:36.319 System Preferences[412]: Pairing device failed with:-536870208
15/10/2013 15:59:41.331 System Preferences[412]: Failed to create connection to the daemon: connection timeout: did not receive reply
15/10/2013 15:59:54.589 System Preferences[412]: [BluetoothHIDDevice][initWithHIDDevice] Unable to get Object ID from IORegistry

Why did you do that?! Use the latest version of MultiBeast (just selection the appropriate audio driver), and you'll be assured of using the latest audio kext/driver. :thumbup:

Sorry, Stork. It didn't work for me. Missed to indicate that in my post. By installing the ALC889 audio kexts from Multibeast resulted in no sound. Hence had to install the previous audio kext I had a backup of with Kext Utility. That fixed the sound.
Joisse99 has confirmed to have the same problem with the audio kext from Multibeast - for the same MB :(
That said, I have used MultiBeast 5.5.2 at that time. I don't know if 5.5.3 fixes that problem.

Hope that helps.

I'm still having problems with my Dell XPS Studio 435MT. ALC892 audio. After update, I have no sound. Under System Profiler, it identifies Intel High Definition Audio on Audio ID 1, but the sound preferences pane and Audio MIDI Setup do not show any audio that can be selected. Tried MB 5.5.2, 5.5.3 and 5.4.3. No luck. :( Any other possible workarounds?

Quite a problematic update this ...

Same as a few other people mention, the install fails, as does a subsequent MultiBeast update, however the software does install ok.

Most immediate and noticeable problem, most USB ports are non-functioning with disk drives attached.

On my Gigabyte board the two for mouse and keyboard work fine and show up in System Information.

The rest, USB2 and USB3 appear dead.

I plugged in my trusty Lexar 4GB memory stick and it didn't mount. Neither did a Kingston 16GB one or my independently-powered WD 500GB external storage drive.

On checking with Disk Utility they are certainly there but greyed-out.

Running Repair on them checks and verifies all is ok BUT they remain greyed-out and otherwise invisible.

(USB sticks are formatted FAT32 and the WD 500GB is two partitions: FAT32 and ExFAT. Checked on a Windows PC and they are fine).

Also notice the system disk now appears in the Spotlight/Privacy panel of System Preferences. This is where you can include disks not to be indexed. I hadn't put it there.

So, not only does the Mac not wake from sleep any more but USB is all but gone.

A roll-back to 10.8.3 has been performed and everything is back to normal.

Very confusing.

:(

After update, the multibeast indeed failed to perform a successfull installation, the cause would be because it failed to create a new kext cache, some of your kext could causing problem,

try run sudo updatekextcache -update-volume /

and see which kext is causing problem

in my case, the FakeSMC plugin is causing error, so i delete all plugin kext manually and re-install it using multibeast,

After update, the multibeast indeed failed to perform a successfull installation, the cause would be because it failed to create a new kext cache, some of your kext could causing problem,

try run sudo updatekextcache -update-volume /

and see which kext is causing problem

in my case, the FakeSMC plugin is causing error, so i delete all plugin kext manually and re-install it using multibeast,

Thanks Otosan

I'll try that Terminal command later :)

Yes, I removed the FakeSMC Plugins because they used to cause KPs but the latest releases seem to have been much more stable. However I don't have them installed at the moment.

I am using GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7d4 now and it looks like its better now. Can anyone else try too?

update: When i boot with it it looks fine, but unmount and remount is sometimes problematic. It gets ejected on and off. Other times it is stable.
I am testing with a Lacie Rugged and with a Sharkoon QuickPort U3 Firewire (using USB3)

testing GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6 and now GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7d4 from Zenith432

USB3 appears as "USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus" on System Report. Motherboard: GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.1

MyPassport USB3 external HD works nice at full speed (5Gb/seg) on all blue back pannel connectors and front (bracket)

...but after The OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update (and 10.9 GM too)

need to restart every time to get it mounted

testing GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6 and now GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7d4 from Zenith432

USB3 appears as "USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus" on System Report. Motherboard: GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.1

MyPassport USB3 external HD works nice at full speed (5Gb/seg) on all blue back pannel connectors and front (bracket)

...but after The OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update (and 10.9 GM too)

need to restart every time to get it mounted

I just installed GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7d5 and now my Lacie Rugged stay connected. I get 100MB/s with BM disk speed test.

Thank you Zenith for your work(i hope you're reading)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back