Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.3 Update

To boot into 10.8.3 I many of us had to disable the internal graphics to get the system to boot with an nVidia 6xx card (I could boot into HD 4000 with the card removed). I have not seen any posts that show how to get both running together yet. Perhaps it is time to start a thread to explore this.

This still works, the trick is to set the 'init graphics first' to igfx instead of auto or peg.

Surprising graphics performance increase:

My GT 640 OEM (gddr5) went from 585 frames/second to 960 frames/second using NovaBench.

The upgrade was a snap:
1. Copied patched AppleHDA.kext to data drive from S/L/E
2. downloaded and installed Cuda upgrade
3. downloaded and installed combo 10.8.3 update
4. Rebooted
5. used KeaxtBeast to install previously patched AppleHDA.kext
6. Re-enabled trim support
7. Rebooted

Current system: GA-h77N-wifi, core i3, Nvidia GT640 OEM

Before I go out and buy a new graphics card I want to make sure it will work.
I'm currently running OS X 10.8.2. I will upgrade to 10.8.3

Current system:

Mac Pro 4.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
ATI Radeon HD 4870

I want to upgrade to the Radeon 7870

Thanks

Hey Guys just wanted to share my experience with you ;D

I always have to do a bit more when I update my Hackintosh, so it takes a bit of time.

I updated my sys using the combo update. (I always use the combo update)
After a reboot I wasn't able to boot --> Kernel Panic
I used verbose boot and saw that there was a Problem with the smb or something like this (sorry I can't remember well)
So I rebooted with the -x flag and finally run through. But than I had only a white screen --> common problem with my graphics card (Sapphire 6870) so I pressed the powerbutton once --> Computer goes to sleep --> i woke him up and bam!! I had a picture but graphics performance was very bad --> no acceleration
I finally downloaded the newest multibeast and installed the dst version again (WARNING: IT WILL OVERWRITTE YOUR EXTRA FOLDER!) --> reboot without the -x flag --> success! But I had some random mouse lag --> common problem with my graphics card --> wrong framebuffer (bulrushes) --> changed framebuffer to bulrushes --> edited the framebuffer so I can use my HDMI TV beside my PC Monitor (DVI)

Now it all runs like before ;D No problem so far! If you have any questions about the process with this particular harware let me know!

Thanks Tony for this awesome piece of software! Cheers ;D

Ok, I updated my system pretty much without incident. I had to re-enable TRIM, and my audio.

I have the EVGA Nvidia GTX 660, and the install was painless pretty much as far as video, The new drivers seem to be working well, and I got a slight increase in my Unigine Heaven benchmark.

I do have one problem though - occasionally the display stays black after wake from sleep. Not every time, but often enough to be really infuriating. The only recovery seems to be a hard shut down and re-start. Note that I also has this problem on 10.8.2 with the Nvidia drivers, but it happened VERY seldom. Much more often now.

If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE HELP :)

Ok, I updated my system pretty much without incident. I had to re-enable TRIM, and my audio.

I have the EVGA Nvidia GTX 660, and the install was painless pretty much as far as video, The new drivers seem to be working well, and I got a slight increase in my Unigine Heaven benchmark.

I do have one problem though - occasionally the display stays black after wake from sleep. Not every time, but often enough to be really infuriating. The only recovery seems to be a hard shut down and re-start. Note that I also has this problem on 10.8.2 with the Nvidia drivers, but it happened VERY seldom. Much more often now.

If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE HELP :)

I had some initial kernel panics reported from:

org.navi.OemBIOS
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

I booted into my nightly SuperDuper backup drive, reinstalled FakeSMC from Multibeast 5.2.1 and all is now well.

FWIW I have a Syba Firewire 800 card and it works fine.

Updated via the Apple Store with no problems, other than having to reinstall the audio driver. It's a shame they don't just support the 889a...painless otherwise.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, Core2 Quad ("Quad-Core Xeon") @ 2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GT430.

Bout time for a new Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back