Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update went fine using the 24MB installer from Apple site. Only kext changed appears to be System.kext, (no IO80211Family.kext altered as mentioned above). No errors on installation, no amazing new installer interface as hinted at above. Just a single reboot and all back up and running as before but now showing 10.8.1. Took less than four minutes from start to finish. This is the kind of update Apple <i>should</i> be issuing... ;-)

I had KPs during the reboot following the 10.8.1 update.
The KP message is displaying something about IOAHCIFamily.kext.

This is how I fixed it.

Rebooted again, this time using my clone backup.
Compared the date/time of IOAHCIFamily.kext on my 10.8 installation vs. the 10.8.1 installation.
I notice that while the date/time stayed the same, the file sizes are different.
ML 10.8.0 file size is 707 KB
ML 10.8.1 file size is only 534 KB.

I decided to copy the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the 10.8 drive into my 10.8.1 drive.
Then I run Disk Utility and repaired permissions on the 10.8.1 drive.
Try to reboot 10.8.1 again.
.... took a long time, as it's probably rebuilding the cache...
SUCCESS!!
About this Mac now shows 10.8.1, everything else seems to be working, sleep/wake/etc.

Everything goes perfect!
MacMini GA-H61N-USB3 / i5 2500k / Intel HD Graphics 3000

No problem here. :)

Article: OS X 10.8.1 Update

I'm gonna be a boring old fart and skip this update. Don't see anything in there that gives me any need to go up to 10.8.1. Nah, I'll sit this one out. My build is running nicely the way it is on 10.8.0... :)

Hopefully this fixes my network sharing. SMB with my Windows HTPC has been all messed up with ML.

Updated through App Store. Took about 5 minutes. Rebooted. Never asked for a password. Evereything seems to be working fine, including audio, network, graphics. etc..

EVGA X58 SLI 132-BL-E75

Just out of curiosity, I did the update on my MacBook Air (have yet to do it on my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3/i7-2700K), and it took 25 minutes after reboot. Weird.

They made a big point during the WWDC Keynote that 10.8 updates with be Delta updates (changes only)...so far I'm loving the small file size

Software Update worked just fine on my GA-Z77-DS3H. GeekBench score remains unchanged—I'm almost disappointed. haha. Also, it did not prompt me for my Apple ID after reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back