Contribute
Register

OS X 10.7 Lion: Download Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
really there have to be a few options, least of all for BootCamp users. You can't just download BC on the Windows end, you need the base install media, then it's updatable over the web. I also heard that the Lion install creates a restore partition. Should be easy to manipulate from there.

Those may be the only cases available to consumers, I'm sure enterprise is another matter

If I am correct in saying so, I think when you load SL with a retail disc, I believe the only information that goes to apple is your Name Address, serial number, etc., and of course billing information in order to purchase apps if you've upgraded to 10.6.6 or higher for the MAC Apple Store. I could be wrong though.

I'm new to Hackintoshing, and to Apple in general. But, this seems more like the equivalent to a Windows Service Pack Update. We are still in MAC OS X (10) not XI (11).

Somebody please throw in your ideas, I won't get mad if I'm wrong, LOL!!!

roaminggnome said:
There is a service that runs at the end of the current OS X installation called "Mac Buddy" when you register your computer to Apple that does what you just described. However this is the first version of OS X with some sort of DRM on it – it can only be installed on a certain number of Macs and I assume that will be linked to your iTunes account. Anyway, we're all speculating at this point – I don't think the DRM will be introduced until Lion goes Gold Master.

Has it been confirmed that this version of Os X will have Hackintosh deterrent "DRM" built into the OS? I know that there is a limitation on how many machines you can run a single license from (five I think), but it would seem that they are simply trying to keep people from buying one copy of Lion and sharing it with 20 of their friends. Very similar to what they currently do with Music that is purchased through iTunes. I think that the new validation system that they are using will simply let Apple know that you have installed it on another machine. I would guess that the chances of them implementing something that could detect whether you were running a Kernel Bootloader or not is pretty slim (otherwise they would have probably implemented it into Snow Leopard in one of the seven system updates). I honestly think that the only thing that is going to give Hackintoshers a headache is the new installation system. While it would be nice to click "Install" within the App store and the process would be complete, the fact of the matter is it will most likely not be that simple. I suspect that we will have to follow a similar approach to one of many walkthroughs that are currently available for installing Os X Lion Beta onto a Hackintosh. That is unless Tonymacx86 figures out a workaroud, which could be very probable. :)

Khanaset said:
thegr8john said:
This is the latest from InsanelyMac's link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/burning-a-mac-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

and this is the actual site:

http://eggfreckles.net/tech/burning-a-lion-boot-disc/

Since InsanelyMac posted the link, can we assume that this is possible?

Bear in mind that all of these articles and how-tos are based off the developer seeds, which are available in the same format they've always been (downloadable, burnable DMG files). If Apple truly plans some sort of dramatic shift in distribution / authentication with Lion, we won't see it until the actual retail release occurs.

80% False. They are not downloadable DMG's. It's redemption codes for the Mac App Store, downloads an app to install lion. Inside of that is a pseudo disk image. The distrubtion shift is being tested with the huge developer base right now!

Khanaset said:
That's odd, the seeds I'm getting through the ADC are roughly 5GB DMG images, not redemption codes, and do not require an Internet connection beyond the download of the DMG itself. If they are in fact testing this via the App Store too ... that's great news for the home-user community, but still leaves businesses VERY wary right now. Maybe the difference in distribution I'm seeing is something to do with being a member of the ADC through my ACN membership account and not through an independent Apple ID *shrug*.

ADC Dev members are different I think. I'm just part of a regular "apple mac developer" or whatever it's called membership. Like the iPhone (though we've had both for almost a year now or so I recall).

Though your ADC membership once it runs out will end up like us and having to grab it off store with redemption codes!

Though that's kind of annoying from my end to know that the old ADC members get it the simpler way. Probably is a pretty good sign that the disc is still going to be sold at apple store probably just behind the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back