Contribute
Register

OS X 10.7 Lion: Download Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z_D said:
http://www.cultofmac.com/this-is-how-youll-reinstall-os-x-lion-without-a-dvd-or-usb-stick-bad-ideas/100081

"In order to Download...your computer's serial number must be sent to Apple"

Does anyone else find this troublesome?

I find it somewhat troubling, but not too much. Well, if they are only interested in the Snow Leopard serial then I don't see it totally as a bad thing. I say that ONLY because of the retail method we use here to get OS X on our pcs. That said, I do also agree with the article that you linked to. Those people who have the occasional problem with there computer such as recovery issues in case something happens, are really gonna have a fit!

halfpint1210 said:
Z_D said:
http://www.cultofmac.com/this-is-how-youll-reinstall-os-x-lion-without-a-dvd-or-usb-stick-bad-ideas/100081

"In order to Download...your computer's serial number must be sent to Apple"

Does anyone else find this troublesome?

I find it somewhat troubling, but not too much. Well, if they are only interested in the Snow Leopard serial then I don't see it totally as a bad thing. I say that ONLY because of the retail method we use here to get OS X on our pcs. That said, I do also agree with the article that you linked to. Those people who have the occasional problem with there computer such as recovery issues in case something happens, are really gonna have a fit!

I'm just worried about it asking for validation via an authentic Apple hardware serial #, something clearly none of us have...

I've been doing some reading and it appears that we need to upgrade to 10.6.8 to make our computers ready for a Lion install. What if we do an update to 10.6.8 and we dont have problems running our software? We could download Lion through the app store, install lion and run Multibeast to fix audio, usb and network issues before we reboot.

Well, my thoughts are if 10.6.8 gets us ready for Lion, it might not be that bad to upgrade to Lion.

I guess the next question for me is; does the computer need to reboot? If so, what booloader can we use to boot from a hard drive?

Thats just my theory. Well, everything is theoretical at this point, lol!

halfpint1210 said:
I've been doing some reading and it appears that we need to upgrade to 10.6.8 to make our computers ready for a Lion install. What if we do an update to 10.6.8 and we dont have problems running our software? We could download Lion through the app store, install lion and run Multibeast to fix audio, usb and network issues before we reboot.

Well, my thoughts are if 10.6.8 gets us ready for Lion, it might not be that bad to upgrade to Lion.

I guess the next question for me is; does the computer need to reboot? If so, what booloader can we use to boot from a hard drive?

It could be possible. I know that on the iOS side of development, software updates are going to be much smaller in that they only modify elements of the OS that are being changed, whereas before, it pretty much would completely reinstall the entire OS when upgrading. Could be that 10.6.8 will get everything in place for Lion, and then the actual install of Lion will add and implement the new features. I would love for this to be the case, but we won't know until the GM is realeased. If I'm not mistaken one of the recent Os X updates (10.6.7 I think) went to a 10.7 Kernel. Their decision to do so might me be for this very reason. Fingers crossed.

brandonjcreek said:
halfpint1210 said:

It could be possible. I know that on the iOS side of development, software updates are going to be much smaller in that they only modify elements of the OS that are being changed, whereas before, it pretty much would completely reinstall the entire OS when upgrading. Could be that 10.6.8 will get everything in place for Lion, and then the actual install of Lion will add and implement the new features. I would love for this to be the case, but we won't know until the GM is realeased. If I'm not mistaken one of the recent Os X updates (10.6.7 I think) went to a 10.7 Kernel. Their decision to do so might me be for this very reason. Fingers crossed.
The 10.7 kernel has nothing to do with Lion. The Leopard kernels were 9.x, Snow Leopard kernels are 10.x and the Lion kernels will be 11.x.

MacOrDead said:
ashman70 said:
[...]
I think most people these days have fast high speed internet connections, so I don't see it being much of a problem.

For me it is a problem:
119701084.png

for me not so much

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 8.47.17 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 8.47.17 AM.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 235
The 10.7 kernel has nothing to do with Lion. The Leopard kernels were 9.x, Snow Leopard kernels are 10.x and the Lion kernels will be 11.x.

Oh, well there goes that idea... /Sad Panda. :lol:

With the only exception being that I am not sure:

a.) if your mac serial gets send in at the AppStore
b.) if you are only allowed to purchase Lion once per Mac
c.) you cannot legally own Lion for your Hacintosh

... and even if that is not the case you have to buy 10.6 AND 10.7. to legally run OS X 10.7 on a Hackintosh then.

p.s.: I bet that in some countries reselling 10.7. might be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back