Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Apple announced today that Lion would be available in July 2011 via the Mac App store, and has so far steered clear from announcing whether they will make it available via DVD. I'm really curious how their decision will not only affect Hackintosh users, but Mac users who do not have access to fast or reliable internet capable of supporting a 4GB download. Is anyone concerned that this will thwart the Hackintosh Dev Communities' attempts at allowing users to install legal and authorized versions of the OS onto the custom machines, or do you think that devs like Tonymacx86 will quickly find a solution? Would like to hear your input.

I'm thinking that they should provide a method to put the software onto a bootable media- so that a fresh install will be possible.

Either that or I will :lol:

We'll have to wait n' see what happens, but I think that this is going to be easier to install now- not harder.

This was something that made me slightly nervous when I heard about it - not only with the obvious implications for the likes of us but also as someone with v-e-r-y slow internet then 4gb is a big old chunk of data for my steam-powered connection to wrangle.

I hope there'll be physical media or a way of making physical media somehow.

tonymacx86 said:
I'm thinking that they should provide a method to put the software onto a bootable media- so that a fresh install will be possible.

Either that or I will :lol:

We'll have to wait n' see what happens, but I think that this is going to be easier to install now- not harder.

Don't you tease me. ;)

First, I think Apple is doing this for an obvious reason, by removing physical media, it cuts down on costs and removes piracy, I also believe there will be a way for them to determine whether or not you are downloading this onto a real mac or not, which means Hackintosh's will likely not work. Now I don't have any evidence for this, its just a hunch on my part, but I do believe there are several reasons Apple is taking this 'download only' approach. I hope I am wrong, I would hate to see the Hackintosh community stifled by this, but as I said, I think its one reason Apple is doing it this way.

Those of you who think 4GB is a large download, well Apple has had Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare in the App store for sometime now and many many people have downloaded it; I think most people these days have fast high speed internet connections, so I don't see it being much of a problem.

You obviously have first hand knowledge and I am just speculating, but I hope I am wrong.

ashman70 said:
[...]
I think most people these days have fast high speed internet connections, so I don't see it being much of a problem.

For me it is a problem:
119701084.png

ashman70 said:
First, I think Apple is doing this for an obvious reason, by removing physical media, it cuts down on costs and removes piracy, I also believe there will be a way for them to determine whether or not you are downloading this onto a real mac or not, which means Hackintosh's will likely not work. Now I don't have any evidence for this, its just a hunch on my part, but I do believe there are several reasons Apple is taking this 'download only' approach. I hope I am wrong, I would hate to see the Hackintosh community stifled by this, but as I said, I think its one reason Apple is doing it this way.

Those of you who think 4GB is a large download, well Apple has had Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare in the App store for sometime now and many many people have downloaded it; I think most people these days have fast high speed internet connections, so I don't see it being much of a problem.

App Store so far does not care what system your downloading it on. You can even make your own DVD disk of it afterwards, though not terribly easy (can't go into it, it's an instillation method :p).

One thing i find funny is the app store does NOT have a device limit like itunes. I think most people think it does but it doesn't. You just login and go to purchased items and download it. I think they just pricing it at $29 to make some money, but just as before, do not care how many systems you use it on. It's a billing/Tax/SCC. Same line of thought same as iPhones getting free updates and iPod touches not.

Man it feels good to be able to talk about this cat. Never would have expected a Cat to be such a good thing...

Right, that may be how the App store functions now and it may not change, I'm just saying maybe it will change. As others have pointed out, Apple is obviously not out to gouge people and make a killing off this upgrade, pricing it at $29.95 makes it so cheap that people will just buy it instead of trying to get it illegally. However, because this is an entirely new delivery system, for an OS, first one to be downloaded and installed OTA, its possible they may throw in some control mechanisms that make it possible to identify what type of machine is trying to upgrade to Lion, maybe they'll just be passive and collect info for now.

ashman70 said:
Right, that may be how the App store functions now and it may not change, I'm just saying maybe it will change. As others have pointed out, Apple is obviously not out to gouge people and make a killing off this upgrade, pricing it at $29.95 makes it so cheap that people will just buy it instead of trying to get it illegally. However, because this is an entirely new delivery system, for an OS, first one to be downloaded and installed OTA, its possible they may throw in some control mechanisms that make it possible to identify what type of machine is trying to upgrade to Lion, maybe they'll just be passive and collect info for now.

Well we will probably know sometimes in the next few hours. Just so far, they haven't put that in a DP or App store. 10.6.8 might be tied to Lion as it has some changes for the app store (or so *rumored*).

However if you make your own install media (I don't think any hack will be able to do it OTA) it's moot. What would stop us is only the Appstore not downloading the Lion Package.

Lets hope nothing changes :) :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back