Contribute
Register

OS X 10.7 Lion: Download Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something that just occurred to me, what if for Hackintosh users, it download fine and appears to install fine, yet on reboot, crashes because...maybe its searching for EFI and if it doesn't find it, it won't boot...just thinking out loud. It might take someone who has a Hackintosh and a real mac to download Lion, burn it to DVD and figure out how to make it work, if its possible, on a Hackintosh.

That is my main concern, I do not want to lose the functionality of my Mac. I do not want to ever go back to Windows rofl. I am worried about Lion breaking my setup. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I do not think that Apple will be that stupid to **** off that many customers, and will eventually make some way to install it other than Mac store based download.

Great feedback guys! Really good to see that a majority of you (including our fearless leader Tonymacx86 :headbang:) are remaning optimistic. I certainly hope that Apple does include some way to create an installation disk, mainly to have that extra peace of mind that I currently have with my Snow Leopard disk. Either way, I look forward to the possibilities, and I hope that by August my little black box will be roaring like a lion. :)

I'm pretty sure that there wil be a downloadable combo update available.

What IS disturbing, however, is the legal angle.

So far we have been working on the premise that if we buy an OSX DVD, we can pretty much install it on anything we like without fear of Apple taking us to task.

This may all change if the software is only available through the iStore, where first you would have to jump through legal hoops BEFORE acquiring access to the software, and then having to 'reverse engineer' it somewhat to get it on to install media you can use on your hardware.

While this may all be perfectly doable technically, Apple will have your dangly bits in a vise legally.

Oh, and please, before some of you start yelling 'no, it's not true, I've checked lawyers'r'us on the interwebs'... I assure you it is. We have a rather large legal department.

As far as international law is concerned, YMMV.

:D :D :D

Attachments

• lion funny picture.gif
    lion funny picture.gif
    91.7 KB · Views: 282
Since we are all at the guessing game, here is my guess:

Lion downloadable via Appstore only.
Lion install app will have option to create backup media (i.e. DVD).
Lion will install, including fresh installs, via media as well but will require validation via apple ID.
Still no good guess on multiple mac by one user cases, but based on the iCloud concept, you purchase once and use on multiple devices as long as it is your own perhaps?

nix said:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-to-burn-a-lion-boot-disc/

I sure hope this is true too. I have 3 Macs at home, and I really don't want to have to download Lion 3 times. Hopefully Apple will also offer a DVD or flash driver option. Which I would be willing to pay a little extra for, maybe $40 for a DVD or $50 for a flash drive.

Now that the method has been published by a large blog like TUAW- most likely Apple will issue an official way to make a DVD/USB backup of the Installer. I see this panning out in one of 2 ways:

1. Lion available exclusively in the Mac App Store for a month, then USB retail stick is made available.

OR

2. Apple modifies the app, or sells a 2nd Lion app to include a simple feature to "Make Me a Bootable Installer on DVD/USB"

The Mac App Store, as a lot of you have said, is simply not a valid method of distribution for any size business, let alone large enterprise. For them I speculate that it'll work like this:

1. Enterprise talks with their apple rep- and signs a multi-license contract
2. Apple rep issues them a download
3. The download is deployed via the network
4. IT people authorized to create bootable media from the app

I don't have any first hand knowledge, nor do I work in IT- this is pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back