Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11.4 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to modify a kext as described here in order to get display back if you use certain system definitions such as iMac15,1 or MacPro6,1 definition. It will boot to a black screen unless you use "nv_disable=1" which disables the Nvidia drivers.

I recommend to use the AGDPFix.app provided by shilohh which makes the kext modification easy as clicking a button. The app can be downloaded at http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ro-6-1-imac-15-imac-17-system-definition.html

Also, for the black screen issue, I would recommend to try to connect via Screen Sharing to update the NVIDIA driver and/or update the kext if they use certain iMac or Mac Pro definitions. That always worked for me. It goes w/o saying, that would require another Mac/Computer.

Oops, you don't have boot options. I will reply when I get home and check all my settings.

Are you using UEFI to boot or legacy? According to what I've been reading, I suspect with legacy mode this problem shouldn't show up.

I'm also thinking it's some timing related issue since 1/5 or 1/6 times the system will boot normally. Once it gets past the clover issue, everything runs fine when OS X is running.

I also doubt there's any boot parameter settings that will fix this issue. It's either BIOS(UEFI) related or the combination of hardware.

If you find anything special in your BIOS please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Ok I've made some progress, To get it to work, i had to do as recommended by karacho in his reply and remove the FixAPIC entry from my clover config.plist. and as i am using the MacPro 5,1 SMBios i had to boot into safe mode, and deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. i also could only boot with nv_disable=1 entered into the clover options. this let me get into the desktop, installed the latest nvidia web driver for 10.11.4 and now it seems its all back to normal. have to say it was a little painful to fix, and took some digging around for info.

Still to fix.. audio has been broken it seems, even though i used the recommended shell script method for ALC1150, and i also need to check trim is enabled. and do some other post install maintenance.

*edit

Scratch that. still getting issues on boot, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, when it does work its all as before, everything working, when it isn't, it either does not pick up my keyboard and mouse (microsoft wireless desktop 900) or I'm still getting the stop sign, occasionally apple logo but does not show progress bar and hangs.. when it does boot it is so slow to get to the desktop, at least 3-4 times longer than previously. hope some solid fixes come about quickly.

Has anyone had a problem with the app store not showing the updates? The app store did not show 10.11.3 but I had no problem using the combo to update my system. 10.11.4 is not showing up for me as well (I'm about to use combo for this one). iTunes and every other update shows up no problem but for some reason the OS updates do not.

Hi all,

I wonder how to rebuild Kextcache in El Capitan ?. Does it have a Utility or use terminal command ?. Thanks.

I used this terminal command:
sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel

I think this one also works:
touch /System/Library/Extensions

Can't login after update...

This is the first time I've seen this one. I've applied the update, it's rebooted. I get the login screen, enter my password and then it just sits there spinning.

They only issue I normally have is due to the Nvidia drivers, but nv_diasble=1 even -x makes no difference.

It is running as I can VNC to the system but it just draws the login screen and spinning.

Any ideas?

(Update)

I can login as Guest...just not as my normal admin account. As Guest I've managed to update the Nvidia drivers but there appears to be an issue with my normal account. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

(Solved)
Found an article that takes you through deleting the launchservices db on the apple forums.

I'm trying to install 10.11.4 from scratch, using my perfectly working 10.11.3 Clover config.plist.

It works, but for some reason bootup time is 2-3 minutes vs the 10 seconds it was previously.

Anyone else experience this?

What I have tried:
- Skylake APIC fix in and out
- OsxAptioFix v1 and 2 switched
Still the same...

The only way I can have "normal" bootup time is to use the new iMac17,1 definition, but then even with Piker's graphics fix booting from the install USB results in a black screen...

I updated from the App store. Had to replace osxaptiofix with osxaptiofix2, other than that all seems to be working well.

I did have the same problem with the monitor going to sleep on boot. At first I thought I had borked my install and would have to go back to the drawing board. Then I remembered that when I got the monitor a few months back, I was having the same problem and fixed it by moving from mdp to hdmi and back. I did that here and the monitor worked fine with mdp from there on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back