Contribute
Register

Optiplex 790 cant get to Installation.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as just installing Win7, my problem is I don't have a working key for it. I was trying to do it the cheap way by installing 7 with my DVD and upgrading straight to my cheap copy of Windows 8....

If you don't like the Mountain Lion - iOS / iPad stuff, you will absolutely hate Win8. GUI for Win8 really stinks IMHO.

If you have a working machine with the Win7 installed from your DVD and running you can get the key from the system properties.

To install Win8, you don't need the Win7 key. Install win7 and when it pops up the screen to input the key you have an option to skip it and continue the install. Win8 update version doesn't care.

If you don't like the Mountain Lion - iOS / iPad stuff, you will absolutely hate Win8. GUI for Win8 really stinks IMHO.

If you have a working machine with the Win7 installed from your DVD and running you can get the key from the system properties.

To install Win8, you don't need the Win7 key. Install win7 and when it pops up the screen to input the key you have an option to skip it and continue the install. Win8 update version doesn't care.

Hi GB,

I dont have a working machine with windows 7 anymore :( that is what I was originally aiming for.. I was trying to do this the most cost effective way without having to go the whole hog on a new Windows 7 Pro (at least) licence.. Like you also said, I figured I would just use the DVD for the window 7 install then W8 install and register.... basically Windows 7 on the cheap..

As far as the ML...iOS/Ipad stuff, The first thing I did was remove all the crap Microsoft puts on the Start menu....Mail/Photos/Finance/Skydrive/etc... I have read about ways to even log straight into Desktop mode, which if OK will definitely be done! I just dont like all the Twitter/Facebook Intergration they went with the recent OSX releases. Perhaps its good for some people, but I dont live my life inside either of these places... Honestly I havent even tried either Lion or ML... I have heard enough from written and video reviews to make my mind up that its just not for me..

Yeah I know, this is what I did ;)

Hi Going Bald,

Unfortunately technically my PC (being a slim version of the unit) only allows placement for 1 HDD..... without going 'Macgyver' on it....

I have bought the Windows 8 Pro ver.. from the Microsoft store. I actually did it to sidestep the fact I don't have a Windows 7 key.... I have an old Dell Windows 7 Install CD (dont know where the key is) which I installed and you have 3 days to register and then directly upgraded it to Windows 8. Cost me the 29euro as apposed to the 100 odd euro for a 7 license and the 29 again for W8...

by ML you mean Mountain Lion?! to be honest I'm not a big fan of the newer releases of OSX... All this iOS/Twitter/Facebook intergration does nothing for me. To be honest I'm more than happy with Snow Leopard. I'll do the COMPLETE reading over the next days, which was my mistake in the first place..... lesson learnt!

Thanks for the clock tip!

benjaminp

Boy reading this brought back some memories - going MacGyver on it ... thats a good one...

So as you have only one physical location for 3.5inch HD

Do you have more than 2 SATA ports. ( that work) as they could be turned off in the BIOS -

If so why not use some old SATA laptop drives

In surfing around on the NewEgg I have seen some 3.5 drive housings that support 2 2.5 inch HD this way you can have slim and thin w two HD w/o going all MacGyver on it... luved that show - ok I know I am old ... real old....

benjaminp

Boy reading this brought back some memories - going MacGyver on it ... thats a good one...

So as you have only one physical location for 3.5inch HD

Do you have more than 2 SATA ports. ( that work) as they could be turned off in the BIOS -

If so why not use some old SATA laptop drives

In surfing around on the NewEgg I have seen some 3.5 drive housings that support 2 2.5 inch HD this way you can have slim and thin w two HD w/o going all MacGyver on it... luved that show - ok I know I am old ... real old....

I took a look on Amazon and have one coming in the mail :) actually now I think about it (Lightbulb) I have a couple 160GB SSDs lying around somewhere that will be perfect for this!!!! This weekend is looking brighter!!!

benjaminp

Boy reading this brought back some memories - going MacGyver on it ..

Never watched that show, but if you remember watching "The Real McCoys" with Walter Brennan or "Wagon Train" with a very young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy, then you might be considered old. Or how about "Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel"? Remember that one?

Never watched that show, but if you remember watching "The Real McCoys" with Walter Brennan or "Wagon Train" with a very young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy, then you might be considered old. Or how about "Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel"? Remember that one?

G B ....
Yep I most certainly do remember Walter - one of my most favorite characters - I try to find films he was in too, I am sure you remember Gunsmoke w Marshal Dillion - Kitty and Doc too ... oh an Chester ...say'n "Mr Dillion."

I luv'd the music intro from Palidin it always made my hair raise on my neck,

I was a big fan of the Westerns - and like them in black and white - instead of color - but most of them are still on in syndication on several old tv channels on the cable and sat networks.

Thanks for trip'in me up down memory lane their "pardner" !!!

Sorry for getting of topic w G.B. Benj....

I took a look on Amazon and have one coming in the mail :) actually now I think about it (Lightbulb) I have a couple 160GB SSDs lying around somewhere that will be perfect for this!!!! This weekend is looking brighter!!!

Geesh benjaminp

A couple of SSD just kickin around ... must be a rich Republican here .. toss some crumbs (SSD's) my way .... :lol:

You know they are so small that they are most likely more in the back part of the center desk draw at work ... that's where I used to look for any excess stuff we had ... ram sticks laptop drives ... old video cards.... they just work themselves to the back of the drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back