Contribute
Register

Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC 888 on Lion - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha and thanks so much for all the great work !

I'm having a bit of an issue getting this to work on my rig.

I have an nForce MCP73 chipset system with the ALC1200/888 running 10.7.5 where the AppleHDA rollback (1.7.9) + ALC8xx has been working flawlessly for a long time. I now want to try to get HDMI audio going and so need to upgrade to a newer AppleHDA.kext that supports HDMI.

I tried with MultiBeast 4.7 to install each of the patched ALC888 kexts but end up with no audio device both times.

I have a DSDT mod, so I removed that and then tried each with HDAEnabler but these failed too.

Now, this is not an Intel chipset system so my devices are all sitting at different addresses.

For instance, my HDEF is here ...

00:09.0 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio [10de:07fc] (rev a1)

and my LPC is here ...

00:03.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP73 LPC Bridge [10de:07d7] (rev a2)

and my GFX card sits on this bridge ...

00:0b.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge [10de:056e] (rev a1)

Still, I believe that I managed to insert the GFX/HDAU DSDT mods properly as evidenced by my IORegistry.
But I lose the AppleHDA->HDEF connection when I install the Lion versions of the patched AppleHDA.kexts.

Here is my HDEF mod ...

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00090000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (GPRW (0x15, 0x04))
}
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x08)
{
"codec-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
},
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},
"device-type",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"Realtek ALC888"
},
"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

Are there some further mods that I need to make since my HDEF lives somewhere different from 1B ?

***** UPDATE

I did some further testing. I simplified my DSDT to make it more like your recommendation ....

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00090000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return ( Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
},
"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
MCDP(Arg2,RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

I tried each of the ALC888 patched kexts, legacy and current, and got the same result (no audio device) again.

I reinstalled the original 1.7.9 AppleHDA Rollback + ALC8xx legacy kext and my audio device is back and working again.

I do see the following assertion every time that I attempt to use either of the patched Lion AppleHDA kexts ...

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 773

What's the difference between using the AppleHDA rollback method + legacy and the patched AppleHDA alone ?

Thanks in advance

]
I have an nForce MCP73 chipset system with the ALC1200/888 running 10.7.5 where the AppleHDA rollback (1.7.9) + ALC8xx has been working flawlessly for a long time. I now want to try to get HDMI audio going and so need to upgrade to a newer AppleHDA.kext that supports HDMI.

What's the difference between using the AppleHDA rollback method + legacy and the patched AppleHDA alone ?
See Rules:
AMD CPUs and NVIDIA, ATI, VIA or SIS desktop chipsets are not supported. The methods and software on this site will not work. Also, Atom CPUs are no longer supported as of OS X 10.6.2.

Rollback is from Snow Leopard and the Lion patched is from Lion.

Ah, bummer !

Does the last Snow Leopard AppleHDA support HDMI ? Will a patched version of that work with my NVidia chipset ?

OK, figured this one out for myself ... to save everyone else the trouble.

The first AppleHDA to support HDMI is v2.0.5 from the final 10.6.8 Snow Leo.

And I get the same result with my NVidia NForce chipset -> no audio device.

There is again a single assertion error from AppleHDAController @ line 706 then jumping to handler and out !

Ah, bummer !

Does the last Snow Leopard AppleHDA support HDMI ? Will a patched version of that work with my NVidia chipset ?
Yes, nvidia only. However, none of the device_ids are for the HDMI audio codec. It is unlikely your graphics has a HDMI audio codec; it would be similar to 10de 000-.

Thanks for another swift reply !

Oh, I definitely have an HDMI device/codec.

I have an NVidia GeForce G210/512 installed.

I just did not show you these ...

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0a65] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

So I have:

HDMI Audio Device ID = 10de:0be3
HDMI Audio Codec ID = 10de:000b

I made your prescribed mods to my DSDT and with the old 1.79 AppleHDA installed I can see both the GFX and HDAU devices hanging off my PCIe bridge with the proper settings.

It's just a bummer that I can't install an AppleHDA.kext with HDMI hooks in it.

Now I suppose that I could turn to VoodooHDA.

I have an AMD-based NForce chipset board successfully pushing HDMI audio out of the same G210 card on that system.

It's just a shame that this Intel Core 2 Quad NForce system can't hook up to a more modern AppleHDA kext :(

Thanks so much for your time !

Thanks for another swift reply !

Oh, I definitely have an HDMI device/codec.

HDMI Audio Device ID = 10de:0be3
HDMI Audio Codec ID = 10de:000b

I made your prescribed mods to my DSDT and with the old 1.79 AppleHDA installed I can see both the GFX and HDAU devices hanging off my PCIe bridge with the proper settings.

It's just a shame that this Intel Core 2 Quad NForce system can't hook up to a more modern AppleHDA kext :(
Edit 1.7.9 AppleHDA binary (hexEdit)
Find:
07 00 de 10 or
0a 00 de 10
Replace:
0b 00 de 10 4 times
Save, Install, Restart

Your lucky that system works at all with OS X.

Wow !

Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

You might be surprised to learn then that this NForce 630i based system is 100% functional (if I get this HDMI thing going).

I mean native SpeedStep, full S3 hibernation (though auto-sleep does not work), all devices including the internal sD reader, etc.

This one was a real trip to do but it's a winner now !

The only oddity is that it will NOT boot if an Apple USB K/B with an integrated USB port hub is attached.

OK toleda,

You must already know this but you are ...

THE MAN !

(if you are female pls accept my aplogies)

I made the hex mods that you suggested and voila. A new 5th output shows up on my Sound PrefPanel.

This new output actually bears the name of my old Pioneer Plasma display as:

name -> VSX-1020
type -> DisplayPort

Of course, it works in stereo just fine. But then I went to the Audio Midi App and guess what ?

Ridiculously awesome dolby 6.1 surround sound on my home theatre system :)

Looks like it was willing to do 7.1, if I had it.

With your permission, I'll post this as a package on Kexts.

This is all TonyMac, so it's entirely your call.

In the meantime, I'm heading into my LR to see Premium Rush for the 3rd time :))

Have a great weekend !!!

Previous tries included both old and updated suggestions - across the entire DSDT and non-DSDT spectrum ... I am at a loss ... my brain is mush ... help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
MB: GA-H55M-S2V Bios F4a
RealTek ALC888B (read directly from chip on MB)
GeForce 8400 GS:
Chipset Model: GeForce 8400 GS
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x10c3
Revision ID: 0x00a2

Attachments:
DSDT Modified: H55M-S2V-F4.aml (current one that I am using)
GA-H55M-S2V-F4-nn.txt
GA-H55M-S2V-F4-vmm.txt
slax-extracted-dsdt.aml

------------
So based upon my dump export (using Slax usb boot disk) I can see ...

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

----my current try #564 and counting----

Extra/Extensions
JMirconATA, FakeSMC, OSvKernDSPLib,
AppleRTC_Patched_Lion, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector,
NullCPUPowerManagement)

Extra/dsdt.aml (modified from Slax Unix usb export - compared with F2 and F3 in database)
(have tried F2 and F3 dsdt.aml from database too)

SMBOIS - MacPro3,1
Kernal Flags - npci=0x2000
UseKernalCache - No

Using MultiBeast 4.6.1 using modded:
AppleHDA.kext (modified 2.2.0 dated June 14th 5:55PM)
--confirmed this file is in S/L/E with permission repairs

SYSTEM REPORT:
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
AUDIO (BUILT IN)
Intel High Definition Audio:
Audio ID: 887

I've attached the latest IORegistryExplorer with this current AppleHDA.kext ...

Attachments

• IO-Registry-Explorer-GA-H55M-S2V-F4.ioreg
    5.2 MB · Views: 164
  • slax-extracted-dsdt.aml
    15.8 KB · Views: 130
  • GA-H55M-S2V-nn.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 232
  • GA-H55M-S2V-vmm.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 185
  • DSDT-GA-H55M-S2V-F4.aml
    15.8 KB · Views: 156
Status