Contribute
Register

Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC 888 on Lion - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked this situation twice today; everything is there except sound. I have heard of ALC1200 working with this solution but nothing recently. Unfortunately, my only suggestion is a clean install.

A clean install is not a problem. Is there something in particular I need to do afterwards? Working sound is really the only thing holding me back on this system.

A clean install is not a problem. Is there something in particular I need to do afterwards? Working sound is really the only thing holding me back on this system.
Choose only the With DSDT/ALC 888 Legacy audio selection.

The Azalia stuff is not going to work. It uses a technique that I haven't figured out. I don't thave any new ideas to get v100202 to make sound.
Anyway, Toleda, thanks a lot for your help and all the work you do. Thanks to you, I digged into many technical things concerning HDA sound in Mac OS and learned a lot. Finally, I managed to correctly cofigure VodooHDA driver, so now I have nice, clean and powerful sound. I guess, MSI (or my codec version) uses a non-standard pinconfig (node numbers are very strange, just look at the verbs attached). That's why AppleHDa makes no sound - everything works, but the output nodes are incorrect, and the sound plays to "nowhere". So that's not a problem of your patch or driver, it's my mobo's hardware incompatibility.

That's a powerful topic here about HDA codecs, that I used as a manual - http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465&st=0.

Attachments

• verbs.txt.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 97
Choose only the With DSDT/ALC 888 Legacy audio selection.

I've done a complete clean install for 10.8 using my DSDT and selecting ALC 888 Legacy from MultiBeast 5.0.2. I still don't get any sound, however, the slider works, the audio seems to be detected correctly in the system information, and jack detection appears to be working (if I plug into the headphone jack, the output auto switches to the front panel, same with the microphone). Just still no sound, I also tried to connect my iphone to the line-in and microphone jacks to see if it's receiving audio (watching the audio panel to see if the meter moves) and it doesn't appear to be receiving any audio either.

I'm not afraid to dig into the system, if required (I'm a unix/linux administrator by trade so I'm not daunted by doing some hardcore digging). Any ideas on what I can check or any information I can provide you to help figure out what's going on?

Thanks again!

Anyway, Toleda, thanks a lot for your help and all the work you do. Thanks to you, I digged into many technical things concerning HDA sound in Mac OS and learned a lot. Finally, I managed to correctly cofigure VodooHDA driver, so now I have nice, clean and powerful sound. I guess, MSI (or my codec version) uses a non-standard pinconfig (node numbers are very strange, just look at the verbs attached). That's why AppleHDa makes no sound - everything works, but the output nodes are incorrect, and the sound plays to "nowhere". So that's not a problem of your patch or driver, it's my mobo's hardware incompatibility.

That's a powerful topic here about HDA codecs, that I used as a manual - http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465&st=0.
Thanks. I am familiar with the verb problem. AppleHDA.kext does not recognize d_4, as you found, only 0 and 1 are valid. The only good news is that at least one of the MSI Ivy Bridge motherboards makes sound in OS X.

I've done a complete clean install for 10.8 using my DSDT and selecting ALC 888 Legacy from MultiBeast 5.0.2. I still don't get any sound, however, the slider works, the audio seems to be detected correctly in the system information, and jack detection appears to be working (if I plug into the headphone jack, the output auto switches to the front panel, same with the microphone). Just still no sound, I also tried to connect my iphone to the line-in and microphone jacks to see if it's receiving audio (watching the audio panel to see if the meter moves) and it doesn't appear to be receiving any audio either.

I'm not afraid to dig into the system, if required (I'm a unix/linux administrator by trade so I'm not daunted by doing some hardcore digging). Any ideas on what I can check or any information I can provide you to help figure out what's going on?

Thanks again!
Everything works but sound. At your convenience, a linux codec dump would be helpful. We can compare the v100101 with the working v100202.

Everything works but sound. At your convenience, a linux codec dump would be helpful. We can compare the v100101 with the working v100202.

Codec dump attached from Ubuntu 12.04.1, verfied that sound is working via Linux with the built in card.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist!

Attachments

• alc1200_dump.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back