Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490-Creator
CPU
i9-10850k
Graphics
RX 560
I just built my first hackintosh. Admittedly, I struggled pretty bad as this is all very new to me. Luckily the forums here and community are so helpful I was able to get it up and running! I was able to find someone with a similar build and used their EFI and installed an older version of BigSur. I used OC 0.6.5 to create the boot usb and did the post installation steps to now have my hack boot without the usb. Next, I want to update to the most recent opencore, map my usb, and then update to a more recent OS. Is it a bad idea to go from 0.6.5 straight to 0.7.7? With the three next things I want to do is there a particular order I should be going in? My plan is updated opencore>map usb>update OS. Thank you for all your help, this community is amazing!

I just built my first hackintosh. Admittedly, I struggled pretty bad as this is all very new to me. Luckily the forums here and community are so helpful I was able to get it up and running! I was able to find someone with a similar build and used their EFI and installed an older version of BigSur. I used OC 0.6.5 to create the boot usb and did the post installation steps to now have my hack boot without the usb. Next, I want to update to the most recent opencore, map my usb, and then update to a more recent OS. Is it a bad idea to go from 0.6.5 straight to 0.7.7? With the three next things I want to do is there a particular order I should be going in? My plan is updated opencore>map usb>update OS. Thank you for all your help, this community is amazing!

Hi there.

First thing I would do is map your USB ports. Later versions of OpenCore and macOS Big Sur 11.3 onwards have problems with the XhciPortLimit quirk no-longer working. This is used to remove the macOS port limit so you can map the ports. Once you have the map done then you can use the same files for future upgrades of macOS when the OC quirk is not working.

The upgrade of OpenCore will cause you some needed homework. As the bootloader is still in beta there are changes made to the config.plist layout with every iteration. So what you would do is:

Update the core OpenCore files such as boot, OpenCore itself and drivers.

Next update your config.plist using the latest sample.plist included with OpenCore. There will be new sections or removed section and very often there will be syntax changes.

To help spot the necessary changes, in the "Utilities" folder of the main OpenCore distribution file is a small program called "ocvalidate". Drag this to Terminal and then follow it with your config.plist and it will run through it and highlight any errors or required changes.

Finally if you plan on using the OpenCanopy Graphical menu system then you need to download the latest OC "OcBinaryData-master" file which has the new screen and icon files you need in its "Resources" folder. Replace the empty one in the OC distribution. Set the config.plist setting for Picker to External if not already done.

:)

I see no mention of removing the bootstrap method and a nvram reset that is required when upgrading from version that old. Your procedure to upgrade is best done using a OC boot USB with the new OC files on it, then if it fails it is simple procedure of removing it and booting back into the already working system. Good luck with it.

I see no mention of removing the bootstrap method and a nvram reset that is required when upgrading from version that old. Your procedure to upgrade is best done using a OC boot USB with the new OC files on it, then if it fails it is simple procedure of removing it and booting back into the already working system. Good luck with it.
Of course, it is a good idea to create a new USB boot stick with the latest OpenCore files on it to test, instead of a direct update.

Much safer, if things go wrong. My bad for not suggesting it.

@Bsc87 Please take @SAC12345 's comments onboard.

Apologies.

Of course, it is a good idea to create a new USB boot stick with the latest OpenCore files on it to test, instead of a direct update.

Much safer, if things go wrong. My bad for not suggesting it.

@Bsc87 Please take @SAC12345 's comments onboard.

Apologies.
Thank you both for all the help! I was able to upgrade OpenCore and map my usb ports using hackintool. With everything in place I went for the update to Monterey natively. Ive been having a ton of issues with booting it up. I did a ton of research and tweaks to my efi/config. I am able to get it to boot up to the apple logo with the progress bar, but it's stuck with the progress bar full and it says "less than a minute remaining" and has been like that for a while now. Is there something else I need to tweak to get past this part? I have attached my efi folder (ignore the name, I just have a few EFIs saved on my laptop in case I needed to go back to one)

Attachments

• EFI-best.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 73
Thank you both for all the help! I was able to upgrade OpenCore and map my usb ports using hackintool. With everything in place I went for the update to Monterey natively. Ive been having a ton of issues with booting it up. I did a ton of research and tweaks to my efi/config. I am able to get it to boot up to the apple logo with the progress bar, but it's stuck with the progress bar full and it says "less than a minute remaining" and has been like that for a while now. Is there something else I need to tweak to get past this part? I have attached my efi folder (ignore the name, I just have a few EFIs saved on my laptop in case I needed to go back to one)

I have a good dozen EFI folders all named according to the changes made mostly with the version in them names basically every folder that has ever booted my machine. I do not think I can be of much help. I am still a couple of version back on Catalina other than perhaps using the -v in the boot args to make sure it is a text based install for the beginning so you can see where the hangup is. Then take picture and post it here it will not do much if it is stuck in a graphics part of the install, Apple gives no information in that part of it other than a stuck count down of course.. I guess it is 21 now I checked.

Code:
MacUser2525:~$ ls -l /Volumes/Sea_To_Do/Programs/Hackintosh/New_Installs/iMac_19\,1_9600k
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 11 Jan 13:50 EFI
drwxrwxrwx  7 MacUser2525  staff  238 29 Dec  2019 EFI_9600k_5098
drwxrwxrwx  7 MacUser2525  staff  238 29 Dec  2019 EFI_9600k_5098_no_shutdown
drwxrwxrwx  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  3 Dec  2020 EFI_OC63_iMac19,1_Mine
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 12 Dec  2020 EFI_OC64_iMac19,1_Mine
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 12 Dec  2020 EFI_OC64_iMac19,1_Mine_aml
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 12 Dec  2020 EFI_OC64_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 12 Dec  2020 EFI_OC64_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_graphical
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  4 Jan  2021 EFI_OC65_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_graphical
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  4 Jan  2021 EFI_OC66_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_graphical
drwxrwxrwx  5 MacUser2525  staff  170  3 Mar  2021 EFI_OC67_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_graphical
drwxrwxrwx  5 MacUser2525  staff  170  6 Jul  2021 EFI_OC68_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  6 May  2021 EFI_OC69_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb
drwxrwxrwx  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC70_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC71_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC72_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC72_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100_new_kext
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC73_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100_new_kext
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC74_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100_new_kext
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  8 Jun  2021 EFI_OC75_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100_new_kext
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136  5 Dec 13:32 EFI_OC76_iMac19,1_Mine_aml_usb_plist100_new_kext
drwxr-xr-x  4 MacUser2525  staff  136 11 Jan 13:50 EFI_OC77_iMac19,1_Mine_mausi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back