Contribute
Register

Opencore "Fixing Shutdown/Restart" guide - I need help with the USB Controller name in the DSDT reprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vega 56 I have scored is a tad noisy. The RX480 is more silent. I sometimes record acoustic guitar etc more or less next to my hack, so silence is important.

But you had the display connected to the RX480 card, so it was not using the IGPU as you plan to do in the future. Unless of course you have now decided to include the AMD dGPU in the setup?

Which is it to be, IGPU only or IGPU and dGPU? Only you can decide.

If you plan to retain the RX480 and use the IGPU for Quicksync, encoding and decoding purposes with the dGPU driving the display, then you only need to set only the following device property for the IGPU in your config.plist.
  • AAPL,ig-platform-id > Data > 01001219.
The rest of the IGPU deviceProperties are not required when a discrete GPU is present. This will shrink the IGPU settings in the IOReg so no display connectors are shown, as they will all be set as Dummy connectors. As shown in the IGPU settings from my i5-8600 HD630 below.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 21.54.56.png Headless framebuffer IGPU entries in IOReg.

Of course the system works better with an IGPU and dGPU, as that is what it expects to find when you use the iMac17,1 SMBIOS.

The SMBIOS contains settings which are expected to be matched by the components in the system, i.e. IGPU with headless framebuffer and dGPU used to drive the display. Changing the components without changing the SMBIOS is asking for problems, such as the IGPU not working correctly!

Right. I will pick an iGPU only Mac for the SMBIOS in case I need the RX480. Can I keep the same serials etc when I change the SMBIOS to another Mac?

You can, but that's not how I would do it.

I would generate a whole new SMBIOS including Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID for the system.

Before using it I would sign out of any Apple services such as iCloud, Messages, AppStore etc. To prevent any issues. That way you can always use the other iMac17,1 SMBIOS data, should you choose to add a discrete GPU at a later date.

Unfortunately, my USB-C ports will not hot plug and not properly remount after sleep. These are on a different controller, I think. I don't see it in Hackintool?
Any ideas how to fix this?
I have a USB-C TimeMachine disk connected to the hack, so this is rather annoying.

The Type-C ports are controlled by the Thunderbolt device, yes? That being the case they will be under a different USB Controller, usually XHC5 or similar.

However, neither the Thunderbolt or a second XHC controller are present in your IOReg. So I assume you have disabled the Thunderbolt device in your bios. If I recall correctly, this was necessary while you were trying to fix your other issues, to reduce the number of components/devices that needed attention.

I understand you wanting to get the system up and running quickly, but you are just jumping from one issue to another without dealing with or fixing the IGPU issue.

I would recommend you concentrate on the IGPU issue in this thread. Open a new thread, if you want help with the Thunderbolt setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back