Contribute
Register

Opencore "Fixing Shutdown/Restart" guide - I need help with the USB Controller name in the DSDT reprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z690 Steel Legend
CPU
i7-13700k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try as I might, my Z170x-UD5-TH reboots instead of shutdown. I have a proper USBports.kext, I think, and i have also been experimenting with FixShutdown-USB-SSDT to no avail. Can someone help? @Edhawk?

The Z170x had no problems shutting down in Clover with the shutdownfix option.

Last edited:
Post a copy of your whole OC EFI folder, so we can see what you are using and just as importantly what you are not using in this Z170 / i7-6700K / HD530 system.

I have a couple of Skylake systems using OC with just the IGPU used for graphics processing, so it shouldn’t be difficult to find a solution to your shutdown issues.

Just make sure you redact/delete the serial number from your config.plist before you post a copy here.

You may need to provide a copy of the system DSDT.aml so we can check you have the correct settings in your custom ACPI SSDT’s. The system DSDT.aml can be obtained from Hackintool, using the Dump ACPI tool on the Utilities tab.

I’ll have a look at your EFI later this evening.

OK, you have a lot of unnecessary SSDT's, Drivers and Tools in your OC setup.

This is your current OC EFI Folder contents.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 22.21.09.png

This is how I would configure your OC folder.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 22.21.47.png

As you can see there is quite a difference.

ACPI folder:
  • Delete SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, as SSDT-EC.aml is all you need.
  • Delete SSDT-UIAC.aml, as you have USBPorts.kext in the Kexts folder, which contains USB power settings.
Drivers folder: (Delete all these drivers)
  • BiosVideo.efi
  • btrfs_x64.efi
  • CrScreenshotDxe.efi
  • OpenNtfsDxe.efi
  • Ps2KeyboardDxe.efi
  • Ps2MouseDxe.efi
Kexts folder: (Delete this kext)
  • CodecCommander.kext
Tools folder: (Retain only these Tools)
  • CleanNvram.efi
  • OpenShell.efi
  • ResetSystem.efi
Delete any other Tools.

USBPorts.kext:

Your USBPorts.kext does not seem to be set correctly for your systems USB ports.
  • You seem to have too many ports set with the connector Type 'USB2' (0).
  • You have none set with connector Type 'Internal' (255), but your motherboard contains 4 x Internal ports.
  • The Type-C ports are missing their virtual USB2 ports (HS01 & HS02), as these are on a different USB controller (XHC2) they don't count towards the 15 port limit on the XHC controller.
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 22.43.03.png XHC Controller USB ports.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 22.43.36.png XHC2 Controller USB Type-C ports, missing HS01 & HS02.

These are the USB ports in your Z170 system.

Chipset+Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller:​
  1. 2 x USB Type-C™ ports on the back panel, with USB 3.1 support
Chipset:​
  1. 8 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
  2. 5 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 1 port available through the internal USB header)
Chipset+GENESYS LOGIC USB 2.0 Hub:​
  1. 3 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB headers

You need to go through and check your USB configuration and remember the following.
  • Any USB2 port served from a USB3 physical port should be set with the connector Type USB3 (3), not USB2 (0).
  • Any USB2 port served from an Internal USB2 motherboard header should be set with the connector type Internal (255), not USB2 (0).
  • Only USB2 physical ports, those with a black tang on the Rear I/O plate, should be set with the connector type USB2 (0).
    • Your system has a maximum of 4 x USB2 physical ports.
    • Your USBPorts.kext has 8 x ports set with connector type USB2 (0).
    • So at least 4 x USB ports are set with the wrong connector type.
I can't open your OC config.plist, ProperTree gives me an 'Incorrect Padding' error on line 989 and refuses to open the plist.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 22.51.17.png ProperTree config.plist error.

So I can't go through your config.plist and see what needs deleting or amending to better suit your Skylake system.

Can you open and save the config.plist and post another editable copy, so I can review this along the same lines as I have for your OC folder.

I can't open your OC config.plist, ProperTree gives me an 'Incorrect Padding' error on line 989 and refuses to open the plist.

ProperTree config.plist error.

So I can't go through your config.plist and see what needs deleting or amending to better suit your Skylake system.

Can you open and save the config.plist and post another editable copy, so I can review this along the same lines as I have for your OC folder.

Hi Ed

I cleaned up my EFI as per your instructions. This has not solved the problem, unfortunately.
Here's my config.plist.

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• config.plist zipb wo serials.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 21
Which version of macOS are you running on this Skylake system?

Until you fix the issues in your USBPorts.kext you won't see any difference in your systems shutdown/Sleep/Wake processes. The incorrectly set USB configuration would cause power calls on the USB controller, so the system reboots instead of Sleeping or Shutting down.

You also has the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry enabled in your config, so your USBPorts.kext may not have been working at all.

Provide a copy of your system DSDT.aml.

Try booting with this revised config.plist. I have changed a few entries nothing major but every tweak helps.

Add your Serial Number etc. to the config.plist and see what difference if any this makes.

I would test your cleaned up EFI and this config.plist on a spare USB pen drive, to make sure it works.

You need to run the ResetNvramEntry.efi before booting your macOS drive with this config/EFI, to make sure any old settings are removed from NVRAM.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for all the help. I was wondering about xhciportlimit myself and also tested with it off. Didn’t help.
I also see 2 XHC USR ports that I don’t get.
No sign of XHC-2 that you mention.
Will provide you with more info later.
Again, your help is much appreciated.

The USR ports are part of the Intel setup but don’t relate to any individual YSB port. They are removed when configuring the USB setup for macOS.

Don’t worry if the XHC2 controller ports don’t show in Hackintool this is not uncommon. As there are onlyb4 x ports on that controller they don’t have to be mapped.

Thanks for all the help. I was wondering about xhciportlimit myself and also tested with it off. Didn’t help.
I also see 2 XHC USR ports that I don’t get.
No sign of XHC-2 that you mention.
Will provide you with more info later.
Again, your help is much appreciated.

I tried booting from a USB thumbdrive with the trimmed EFI and your config.plist. No difference.Shutdown = restart after 1-2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back