Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OpenCore battery patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rufus8472

Right, I've read something along those lines multiple times... The last way to fix this seems to be to put it in the lowest sleep possible, that still draws power but is more permanent.

A commander kext would be good, that sets it off after every sleep... Maybe it doesn't exist because it doesn't work. dGPU is really just a lot of trouble man.

I think the only way we're going to get DGPU to fully or at low power permanently is to make force it to be in the BIOS. If you use the Mac side of the laptop mainly, it would be worth it and then just turn it on when you go into Windows. Or just deal with it being awake. There's not much more you can do at that point, it's one of those things we just have to deal with for making own own MacBook lol.

Also as an FYI, don't update to the latest VoodooI2C. Whatever changes that were made causes click and drag to be broken. When you go to click a file or folder, it registers as a slow double click to rename the file or folder, can't drag and drop at all.

Other than that, so far the new install is going good. Still slowly getting all of my apps re-installed. I've been pre-occupied with other things the past couple of days, so I really haven't had much time to invest in it. It's at least up and functioning enough for me to use on a daily basis for basic things lol

The only little detail that I've noticed being a small issue thus far is my processor is listed as an i9. Does anyone know the correct Processor Type value to put into the Config.plist so it registers as the correct processor?

The only little detail that I've noticed being a small issue thus far is my processor is listed as an i9. Does anyone know the correct Processor Type value to put into the Config.plist so it registers as the correct processor?

Found a list of Processors! For the 8750H, like the one we have, we should be running ProcessorType: String - 0x0709

That value is for an 8850H, which the closest processor on a MacBook to ours.

@vettz500 @BlvckBytes
Tried today to switch the DGPU off in BIOS, but didn't worked. I switched SG to IGFX and also tried to switch the PEG1 port of, but still the power usage is at 21W. I saw, that DSDT-10 is missing when BIOS is switched to IGFX, maybe it's possible to patch the SSDT-10 and load it with OC when the BIOS is switched to IGFX.

@vettz500 @BlvckBytes
Tried today to switch the DGPU off in BIOS, but didn't worked. I switched SG to IGFX and also tried to switch the PEG1 port of, but still the power usage is at 21W. I saw, that DSDT-10 is missing when BIOS is switched to IGFX, maybe it's possible to patch the SSDT-10 and load it with OC when the BIOS is switched to IGFX.
I think you might be looking into this too much. Switching from SG to IGFX disables Nvidia graphics from the very first boot, before OSX even realizes it's there.

If it's turned off in the BIOS, OSX can't turn it on. 21W is acceptable for a CPU that's not being taxed very much and handling graphics at the same time. And considering the 8750H throttles up to 45W when it's being hit the hardest, 21W seems like that's just CPU running on its own without Nvidia drawing.

If you really want to test it, go into the BIOS and put the Nvidia card in high power mode see what the laptop is drawing after boot, then put it in low power mode, see what it's drawing after boot.

That should give you a solid idea if it's just processor power or if it's really being woken up.

@vettz500

If I have more spare time, I'll look into this more deeper aswell :p. I see why @rufus8472 is invested in this, it just pi***s you off if you know that the dGPU has no reason to be on and still produces heat and draws power. With moderate workloads I am only getting about 2.2h of battery life. That's a joke, lol. AFAIK I got 80Wh of battery life in here. The screen was at a bit under 1/2 brightness.

I don't know if this whole disable dGPU business is something that got implemented the right way by bios manufacturers, since it's probably used very seldom by people. And also, I don't believe the current options to disable it on OSX work properly either. Someone has to start getting this stone rolling I guess, until a proper solution is created. It can't be impossible, right?

@BlvckBytes @rufus8472 see the following link regarding the DGPU waking up. Possible fix, if we can figure out the exact patch and how to make an SSDT out of it that executes correctly.

I guess maybe I was a little bit ignorant towards the fact that maybe the DGPU really doesn't get turned off lol. Probably because I've invested so much overall time into this laptop that I was over it lol

@kecinzer

SMCBatteryManager with VirtualSMC is fine, if the proper (custom) SSDT is used. I still have lots of stuff to do, I'm sorry, but I will get back to you along this week. Once that SSDT is done, I think you should be able to just use that kext.

@vettz500

Same here, once I got time again, I'll look into that. Can't live with that battery-life anyways, tbh xD. Also, the heat could be reduced. Thinking about liquid-metal-ing it aswell, but only with proper safety in place (clear paint on smd components around the die).

BTW, I just saw the following:

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 19.02.22.png

First off, the hell you mean by my app is using *significant* energy, it's literally doing nothing right now... xD. But the condition is set to "Replace Soon", that may be one of the issues with my windows battery-status aswell. I need to check my patch, I've screwed something up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back