Contribute
Register

Only two SATA ports working (out of six)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision T3600
CPU
E-2667 v1
Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I purhcased and modded a nice used Dell t3600 Xeon system with a C600 chipset to use as a backup system and fileserver, thinking that because it had six onboard SATA ports it would be perfect.

However, what I found out is that only two of the SATA ports work, the other four are controlled by an Intel RST SATA/RAID controller. I don't necessarily want to get RAID working, as nice as that would be, but what kext could I install to at least be able to plug in some drives to these dormant SATA ports?

I've tried the Kexts that come with multibeast for the x79 C600 motherboard, but they still only list the first two ports not controlled by the Intel RST.

Also, I can enter the setup utility on boot for the Intel RST and it sees my drives, it's just macOS which can't.

Running Sierra. Any help appreciated!

OK so I updated my profile, thanks for that. Basically I have a Dell T3600 motherboard which I have placed into a modded Mac G5 Aluminum case. The motherboard is a socket LGA 2011 first generation with an Intel C600 chipset, which includes an Intel RAID support for the additional SATA ports on the motherboard. I would love for these to function just as normal SATA ports, but what I have discovered is that half of the support for these is in the hardware, but the other half is in the Windows drivers. I don't know how to get them to work under OSX.

The ports use the Intel RST technology.

OK so I updated my profile, thanks for that. Basically I have a Dell T3600 motherboard which I have placed into a modded Mac G5 Aluminum case. The motherboard is a socket LGA 2011 first generation with an Intel C600 chipset, which includes an Intel RAID support for the additional SATA ports on the motherboard. I would love for these to function just as normal SATA ports, but what I have discovered is that half of the support for these is in the hardware, but the other half is in the Windows drivers. I don't know how to get them to work under OSX.

The ports use the Intel RST technology.

Have you seen this old thread ?

I did see that thread, thank you, although I believe the kexts he mentions are for the LSI MegRaid, which I don't have, I have just the onboard Intel RAID/SATA controller. Either way, I tried installing the kexts anyway and I didn't get it to work. I think probably the solution will be to purchase an inexpensive SATA or RAID card and install it, to save myself time and headaches trying to get this to work.

Again thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back