Contribute
Register

Old 8800gtx graphics card has died. Need new replacement suggestions for El Capitan 10.11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, most Nvidia cards work well with macOS using the Nvidia web drivers. Only the handful that has already been mentioned have issues. Of course, the 600-series Nvidia cards have native macOS support which means Nvidia web drivers are completely optional.

As for recommendations, it really depends on your needs. But seeing as you are coming from an 8800 GTX, I would assume that you have very modest needs. If this is true, I would try to look for a cool running 600-series card. A few years back, I replaced a dead 8800 GT with a GT 640 and the GT 640 ran circles around the 8800 GT. I was an inexpensive card, worked with built-in OS X drivers, was bus powered and didn't need extra power connections, and ran cool. Maybe something in this range would suit your needs...

* One more card I would personally avoid is the GTX 1060 due to a black screen when waking from sleep issue.

Generally speaking, most Nvidia cards work well with macOS using the Nvidia web drivers. Only the handful that has already been mentioned have issues. Of course, the 600-series Nvidia cards have native macOS support which means Nvidia web drivers are completely optional.

As for recommendations, it really depends on your needs. But seeing as you are coming from an 8800 GTX, I would assume that you have very modest needs. If this is true, I would try to look for a cool running 600-series card. A few years back, I replaced a dead 8800 GT with a GT 640 and the GT 640 ran circles around the 8800 GT. I was an inexpensive card, worked with built-in OS X drivers, was bus powered and didn't need extra power connections, and ran cool. Maybe something in this range would suit your needs...

* One more card I would personally avoid is the GTX 1060 due to a black screen when waking from sleep issue.

Thanks for the advice pastrychef, I tried looking for a GT 640 card on amazon UK but its near enough impossible trying to find one that is reasonably priced. The GT 710 is cheap but for GT 640 money, I may as well keep the 1050TI as its only a little extra which will mean that I will need to update to Sierra.

Yes, the 600-series is quite old now... You may have to look to Ebay to find used ones.

I'm not sure that I did. All I recall is that when I installed El Capitan, I used my 8800GTX card and then in the multibeast app I updated the setting to inject nvidia and I believe I installed a kext from the downloads section for graphics and DSDT for the motherboard. Is this what you meant by the web drivers?

Id recommend to get a card thats native i.e GTX760. I don't bother with Nvidia Web Drivers too much hassle than its worth.

Thanks VioletDragon and Gigamaxx but considering the lack of upgrade options in the future for the 600 series card i.e. could not update to Sierra at a later date if I wanted to, I think a card which would also work on updated OSX would be beneficial. I am not sure if the GT 710 will let me do this but at this moment in time a 740 or 760 would cost me close to £100 and a 1050TI is £138 so I am thinking it may be worthwhile paying extra for a card that will most likely be compatible with future OSX updates.

Do you think this is a wise choice?

I have a gt210 running in High Sierra beta, the gt 710 works as well, the gtx760 is a good card if you can find one. Its Nvidia's best card with native support, local shop has remanufactured cards for $100 US. It will remain supported for a while, it was their last card to get support.

I have a gt210 running in High Sierra beta, the gt 710 works as well, the gtx760 is a good card if you can find one. Its Nvidia's best card with native support, local shop has remanufactured cards for $100 US. It will remain supported for a while, it was their last card to get support.

Theres quite a few 760's on eBay on the UK site.

Thanks VioletDragon and Gigamaxx but considering the lack of upgrade options in the future for the 600 series card i.e. could not update to Sierra at a later date if I wanted to, I think a card which would also work on updated OSX would be beneficial. I am not sure if the GT 710 will let me do this but at this moment in time a 740 or 760 would cost me close to £100 and a 1050TI is £138 so I am thinking it may be worthwhile paying extra for a card that will most likely be compatible with future OSX updates.

Do you think this is a wise choice?

Depends. I prefer to use Apple Stock kexts than Nvidia Web Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back