Contribute
Register

Old 8800gtx graphics card has died. Need new replacement suggestions for El Capitan 10.11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe my nvidia is injected from my previous installation. I have attached a screenshot from the options on the clover boot screen. Is this correct?

8800GTX, GTS Cards are old and requires (inject nvidia). Probably be better to go with something thats native like the GTX650, 660, 760 etc.

8800GTX, GTS Cards are old and requires (inject nvidia). Probably be better to go with something thats native like the GTX650, 660, 760 etc.

I have already purchased the GT 730 so is there nothing that can be done to make this card work? Also I have used the 1050TI card without issues so unsure as to why that would work and the GT 730 would not under the same setting - e.g. With nvidia injected

I have already purchased the GT 730 so is there nothing that can be done to make this card work? Also I have used the 1050TI card without issues so unsure as to why that would work and the GT 730 would not under the same setting - e.g. With nvidia injected

Newer Cards doesn't require any (Graphics Injection). Im not sure about the GT730 not even sure if that card works in Sierra or not. Thats for you to experiment with.

Newer Cards doesn't require any (Graphics Injection). Im not sure about the GT730 not even sure if that card works in Sierra or not. Thats for you to experiment with.

Thanks for the quick response, the problem I have is that I cannot even boot to my desktop and change the config.plist - if I put my 1050TI card in which is newer and better. It boots to my desktop without any changes. The GT 730 card does not.

Thanks for the quick response, the problem I have is that I cannot even boot to my desktop and change the config.plist - if I put my 1050TI card in which is newer and better. It boots to my desktop without any changes. The GT 730 card does not.

I take it you have Nvidia Web Drivers installed? I know with some of those older cards it will cause problems with having Nvidia Web Drivers Installed.

I take it you have Nvidia Web Drivers installed? I know with some of those older cards it will cause problems with having Nvidia Web Drivers Installed.

I'm not sure that I did. All I recall is that when I installed El Capitan, I used my 8800GTX card and then in the multibeast app I updated the setting to inject nvidia and I believe I installed a kext from the downloads section for graphics and DSDT for the motherboard. Is this what you meant by the web drivers?

I've seen a fair number of incompatibility reports regarding the GT 730 that I would personally avoid it.

I've seen a fair number of incompatibility reports regarding the GT 730 that I would personally avoid it.

Thanks pastrychef, do you know what alternative cards those with incompatibility issues went with in the end? GT 710?

I know that the GT 610 lost compatibility with Sierra. I think there were also a fair number of users who reported issues with Asus branded GTX 750. These are the only ones I remember off the top of my head...

I know that the GT 610 lost compatibility with Sierra. I think there were also a fair number of users who reported issues with Asus branded GTX 750. These are the only ones I remember off the top of my head...

Thanks pastrychef, I'm not sure whether to go for the 710 knowing I probably wouldn't be able to update in the future. Right now I do not want to update if possible but then again I think I may as well keep the 1050TI even though I would prefer a cheap gfx card for now. Can you recommend any GTX based cards that I could install without having to change any settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back