Contribute
Register

Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580

Thank you!
Is your M/B the Z590 Vision G?
If so, I'm guessing you didn't properly configure your USB ports map.
Set the front USB type C port, for example, to SS04/HS05. However, you assigned it to SS02/HS04.
A corrupted port map typically causes connected USB devices to operate at low speeds or with erratic data transfer.
I recommend that you double-check the diagrams and screenshots of the ports map. Then re-map all USB ports correctly.

View attachment 523186View attachment 523187
I’ll try remapping my ports! Turns out my hard drive was defective (it failed even on a real Mac) but I’m having other USB related issues, so I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

One last question if I may; I am not able to get HEVC video working using your iGPU settings. I do have H.264 working though. Is there something I'm missing perhaps? I had to set my framebuffer to non-headless mode in order to get HEVC working, even though I'm not using the iGPU to push a display, and that causes some other issues. Any thoughts?

I have been able to play HEVC videos, and Intel Power Gadget shows the iGPU being used, but VideoProc shows that HEVC encoding is unavailable.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I’ll try remapping my ports! Turns out my hard drive was defective (it failed even on a real Mac) but I’m having other USB related issues, so I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

One last question if I may; I am not able to get HEVC video working using your iGPU settings. I do have H.264 working though. Is there something I'm missing perhaps? I had to set my framebuffer to non-headless mode in order to get HEVC working, even though I'm not using the iGPU to push a display, and that causes some other issues. Any thoughts?

I have been able to play HEVC videos, and Intel Power Gadget shows the iGPU being used, but VideoProc shows that HEVC encoding is unavailable.

The headless settings determine iGPU acceleration.(including H.264 and H.265)
A GFX Require usually indicates 1.1 or 1.2GHz, and GFX Average usually shows over 0.8Ghz during acceleration.

I propose setting DeviceProperties to listed below.
If one of the settings doesn’t work, try another.

Either 0300923E(AwCSPg==) or 0300983E(AwCYPg==) is acceptable for platform-id.

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AwCYPg==
                </data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Slot-0</string>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                mD4AAA==
                </data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Display controller</string>
                <key>enable-metal</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>igfxfw</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>
                AwCSPg==
                </data>
                <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Screen_Shot_2021-03-09_at_1.21.51_AM-2.png

Thanks
The headless settings determine iGPU acceleration.(including H.264 and H.265)
A GFX Require usually indicates 1.1 or 1.2GHz, and GFX Average usually shows over 0.8Ghz during acceleration.

I propose setting DeviceProperties to listed below.
If one of the settings doesn’t work, try another.

Either 0300923E(AwCSPg==) or 0300983E(AwCYPg==) is acceptable for platform-id.

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>
                AwCYPg==
                </data>
                <string>Slot-0</string>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                mD4AAA==
                </data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <key>enable-metal</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>igfxfw</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>
                AwCSPg==
                </data>
                <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

View attachment 523624
Thanks for the information! I actually spent a lot of time yesterday and found out that my device-id is automatically supported by WEG, so all I needed to do was choose the right frame buffer listed in WEG's manual.

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>AwDImw==</data>
                <key>enable-metal</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
            </dict>

With that framebuffer, and enable-metal, I have full support of HEVC and H264 with metal, and Intel Power Gadget shows it's being utilized considerably!
Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 9.04.06 PM.png

Re: USB issues. Recently I tried to use TimeMachine. So far, I was not able to finish the initial backup, as every time I connect the external drive and the system starts the backup, it becomes unbelievable slow and almost impossible to operate (e.g., starting a new tab in Chrome takes more than 2 minutes, the mouse is laggy and stutters and at some point the entire system freezes).

Any idea how to debug the issue? I tried different USB ports and I reformatted the backup drive once.

Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 14.53.53.png

Edit: Backup completed. But it took more than 24h, and required multiple restarts.

At one time, all USB devices went missing, the system continued to operate (e.g., seconds on the clock were still advancing) but I could not move the mouse etc. Re-plugging them into the computer did not fix the issue. I was forced to shutdown the computer down by long pressing the power button. After this, I could not reboot the PC, but had to disconnect the power first, wait a few seconds, and then I could switch it back on.

Have a look at the seconds in the top right corner of these two photos.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 18.27.24.png

Last edited:
@
Re: USB issues. Recently I tried to use TimeMachine. So far, I was not able to finish the initial backup, as every time I connect the external drive and the system starts the backup, it becomes unbelievable slow and almost impossible to operate (e.g., starting a new tab in Chrome takes more than 2 minutes, the mouse is laggy and stutters and at some point the entire system freezes).

Any idea how to debug the issue? I tried different USB ports and I reformatted the backup drive once.

View attachment 524991

Edit: Backup completed. But it took more than 24h, and required multiple restarts.

At one time, all USB devices went missing, the system continued to operate (e.g., seconds on the clock were still advancing) but I could not move the mouse etc. Re-plugging them into the computer did not fix the issue. I was forced to shutdown the computer down by long pressing the power button. After this, I could not reboot the PC, but had to disconnect the power first, wait a few seconds, and then I could switch it back on.

Have a look at the seconds in the top right corner of these two photos.

View attachment 525053
Be very careful! Check the md5 of several of the files on your backup drive now that it’s complete. I went through two different brand new external drives, and copying vast amounts of data to both of them resulted in the majority of the files being corrupted. I use time machine on an external Mac mini server, so I had copies still, but I couldn’t get external USB drives to work reliably on my hack. They also had issues on Windows, so I suspected they may just have been really unlucky bad drives.

I got an internal drive, and hooked it up inside my build and it works and copies data just fine, and I have an external SSD based drive that transfers file just fine, but so far I’ve not been able to get an external spinning HDD to safely transfer large bulks of data. Proceed with caution and verify the quality of the transfer!

Thanks for the EFI. I am glad that there is some support for Z590 motherboards since Z490 motherboards are hard to get now.

Since I can't get the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, I went ahead and ordered the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G. Your success encouraged me.

I know the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D will be a better option but sadly only the Z590I Vision D is available here in Hong Kong. Can't find the ATX model.

My CPU is Intel i9 10900K, I have the same broadcom BT/Wifi PCI Express card which you are using and I have the Asus ROG Strix LC Radeon RX 6800XT GPU.

Hoping that your EFI will be a big help to me.

PS. I am puzzled about why the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G have the old Keyboard / Mouse connector. In 2021 still these types of connectors are used? Thought the new keyboards come with USB support now.

Last edited:
Be very careful! Check the md5 of several of the files on your backup drive now that it’s complete.
I did, everything is fine :) the md5sums match, but thanks for the note.

PS. I am puzzled about why the Gigabyte Z590 Vision G have the old Keyboard / Mouse connector. In 2021 still these types of connectors are used? Thought the new keyboards come with USB support now.
I think this is mostly a compatibility thing as some people still use older PS2 type mice/keyboards; I could be wrong but I believe some companies might still require their employees to use them as well.

Ironically enough, even though it is a PS2 port, it is actually routed to an ITE chip that is USB based, and is simply converting the PS2 port to USB for the motherboard to use.

Today, I installed 11.5.1 without any issues.

Back