Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Hi Boum.

So I installed windows on my second hard drive with all the drivers needed for my motherboard and my new graphic card (Geforce GTX 650). The ethernet ports worked very well with Windows7 and also every thing !
So I came back on Mountain Lion and guess what : the ethernet port were working too. Just a little issue with the GeForce GTX650 but nothing important (just graphicsEnabler=0). So I made a new install of Mountain Lion and almost all works ! Except USB 3 and HDMI audio.
Did you already have any of these issues ?
I try again with the DSDT files to try to fix the hdmi audio issue but I know that when I installed with the DSDT files I had problem this the sleep : It was impossible to wake up...
Do I need to setup something to got USB 3 working ?

Thank you

I don't have any USB 3 devices to check if the 3.0 ports work ok. I believe that others have reported that USB 3.0 ports work fine with USB 3.0 devices only; if you want to use USB 2.0 devices, you'd need to connect them to USB 2.0 ports, or connected to the USB 3.0 port through a hub (if I remember correctly).

Regarding the sleep issue: although I did a clean install on another hard drive last friday and tested sleep with both the Linux2Mac driver and the RealTek driver and the RealTek was working better than the other, I just did a clean install with the Linux2Mac driver and manual sleep, auto sleep and wake up all seem fine right now. I am still keeping my BluRay drive disconnected until this is sorted out. I am always installing with the DSDT because I'm using this computer as a HTPC & PVR, and 2-channel audio will not cut it in this set up. I need encoded DTS / AC3 to be sent out on the HDMI or optical out. The provided DSDT sends encoded audio fine through HDMI (but not through optical though).

Hello!

I want to buy Customac Mini "Deluxe" configuration with Board Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI and Intel Core i7-3770K

Well, Can you confirm that WiFi of this board is working? And, If I buy bluetooth adapter, can I make the OSX installation with an Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse, both bluetooth?

Thanks a lot in advance!

No - Wifi does not work on this board. Need to get one of the alternative PCIe cards now listed on the parts list for this build and a bluetooth dongle to plug into a USB port.

Hi,
Yes this happens to me as well.
OS ML 10.8.2
Does not boot. Keeps hanging, grey screen and colored turning wheel. Will post a specific report tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Shandra2001

Thanks for the clarification. A bit off topic, but is it technically possible to enable encoded audio out on both the optical and the HDMI outputs?
Yes, encoded digital audio is available in OS X for both HDMI and Optical audio outputs.
Exception: VLC requires the manual selection of optical encoded digital audio output. The AppleHDA binary edit for encoded digital audio works on the ALC 885, 887, 888 and 889. It is not available for the ALC 892 or 898.

tonymac, hi, i have found problem with dsdt for h77n-wifi, if i try to put on sleep the mini hack, sleep but when a wake up put in on but the screen stay off. without the dsdt for hdmi no problem, you can fix it?? or not sleep with audio hdmi?
the second problem i found, is from multibeast, if you install first with dsdt for motherboard and after change without dsdt, fakesmc and other file deleted but not reinstall

Yes, encoded digital audio is available in OS X for both HDMI and Optical audio outputs.
Exception: VLC requires the manual selection of optical encoded digital audio output. The AppleHDA binary edit for encoded digital audio works on the ALC 885, 887, 888 and 889. It is not available for the ALC 892 or 898.

Regarding the AppleHDA binary edit for encoded digital audio that is not available for ALC 892: this is to enable encoded digital audio on the optical output? I'm assuming that the HDMI audio uses something slightly different since the H77N-Wifi uses a ALC 892 and can output encoded audio on its HDMI port (are the the one I should thank for this?).

By the way, EyeTV can also output encoded digital audio with a manual selection of the audio output device in its menu.

A new episode in my search for understanding the elusive sleep problem: I did a clean install with DSDT, FakeSMC motherboard plugins and Linux2Mac drivers, using 10.8.2. Manual and auto sleep work perfectly for several days, and I did a few reboots and shutdowns. So I shut down the computer, and connected my LG blu-ray writer. Sleep works, wake up requires about 5 minutes between when the computer powers on and the display awakes. So I shut down the computer again, disconnect the blu-ray drive, and start the computer again. It continues to require a 4-5 minutes delay for fully waking up. I'm pretty sure that if I format and re-install the OS without re-connecting by blu-ray drive, it will sleep and wake correctly again. It's like if connecting the blu-ray drive changes something and that change remains event after the blu-ray drive is disconnected. This makes no sense to me at all :)

Edit: just re-formatted the system partition and re-installed with the same settings; no wake up issue. What system setting could be affected by connecting a blu-ray drive that remains after booting the system with the BR drive disconnected??

I upgraded the firmware of the blu-ray drive (it's a LG BH14NS40) to the latest one (nov. 16, 2012). Tried it in my 10.8.2 system based on X58A-UD3R board. With a CD in the drive, auto-sleep works fine and system wake up is normal. Without a CD in the drive, auto-sleep won't happen. Manual sleep works and no wake up issue.

Same drive connected to H77N-Wifi with 10.8.2: auto-sleep usually works, but wake up take minutes before the display awakes or even the Caps Lock LED to react to key presses. Once this is seen, shutting down the system and disconnecting the drive will not restore correct sleep behaviour. Re-formatting and re-installing without the drive connected will bring back correct sleep behaviour.

Am I missing some BIOS config or simply going crazy? :)

Back