Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

I am considering building a CustoMac Mini system. This will be my first Hackintosh. I've read through this thread as well as some of the others and I have a question. Once built and configured, how stable are these systems. I ask this because I have no problem in putting in some work up front but once the system is up and running I don't want to be continually diagnosing problems. Looking through this thread it seems that there are a lot of instances of something working then, after a reboot or something, not. It's also curious that systems with comparable hardware will work fine for some builds but not for others.

I am considering building a CustoMac Mini system. This will be my first Hackintosh. I've read through this thread as well as some of the others and I have a question. Once built and configured, how stable are these systems. I ask this because I have no problem in putting in some work up front but once the system is up and running I don't want to be continually diagnosing problems. Looking through this thread it seems that there are a lot of instances of something working then, after a reboot or something, not. It's also curious that systems with comparable hardware will work fine for some builds but not for others.

I have built three Hackintoshes so far. The first one is over a year old and rock solid. Problems don't arise just from a reboot. If you install a kext or something, then yes, you can have problems. That's why you should run a clone of your hard drive before doing system updates or adding kext files. If something goes wrong, then you can clone back and then figure out what went wrong. On the whole though, my experience is that a Hackintosh built with compatible hardware can be as stable as a real Mac.

If you don't change hardware and OS version, the hackintosh should be perfectly stable. I've been using different ones for the last 3 years (perhaps 4?), and the issues don't come and go. What works works and will work indefinitely.

There are some hardware parts that are more prone to introduce different behaviour on this thread. For instance not everyone is using the onboard graphics; some use 2 monitors, others only one and thus will not notice if there are issues related to dual screen setups. Another part that comes with its own issues with respect to system sleep is an optical drive, and I keep forgetting this. :)

I think that, ignoring my blu-ray drive issue, this is the easiest hackintosh build I've ever did.

Here are two new cases that are interesting for mini itx builds.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345 (drawback requires dremel or half height card )

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345

Both cases do not have the 'sucks up at the top syndrome' for psu.
(traditional position for psu in top with fan on bottom)
These cases seem to leave case airflow alone while keeping psu cool with outside air.

Both of your links go to the same product, the SG09.

My system now sleeps fine with the blu-ray drive connected, as long as there is a disc in the drive (which seems "normal" for this drive as it is doing this on both of my hackintoshes). I can't think of a change since my post #228. I tried doing a new setup on a spare drive without using any DSDT, and the compute slept & woke up fine. Switched back to my existing setup and sleep & wake are fine too.

To those with weird waking from sleep issues I noticed another complicating detail on my system...

(Sleeping via the Apple menu Sleep command)
Noticed that if I wake from sleep by pressing any key on keyboard then the USB keyboard will then be 'dead' until I unplug and plugin the keyboard.

However if I wake by a mouse click then the keyboard and will be working OK. Setup summary below.

Why would waking via a wired extended apple keyboard kill the keyboard?
(This happens weather keyboard directly connected to motherboard USB, front or rear or external hub)

MB: Z77N-WIFI
CPU: i5 3570K No over-clocking
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600
HD 4000 graphics DVI
Sony DVD drive (empty)
Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
Network: Ethernet (on board)
Keyboard: Apple extended (wired) & Logitech mouse (wired)
Standard set up on Multibeast using DSDT free
Bluetooth works via supplied card.
virtualisation off in BIOS & ehci hand-off enabled

Interesting. I have the same keyboard (although it has a french canadian layout). I used it in a front USB 2.0 port and a back USB 2.0 port and did not get this. The only time when the keyboard did not respond after a wake up, the whole computer was not responding - power LED lights up, fans & hard drive spin up, and then nothing for a few minutes (like 5) then the screen wakes up, network, keyboard and all other peripherals start working again.

The only sleep problem I noticed on my setup since my previous post is that twice I've had the computer going to sleep (manually triggered sleep) and waking up right after. Re-putting it to sleep works.

I tried a temporary DSDT-free setup and did not get sleep & wake issues for the few hours it ran.

Here are details about my setup:
MB: H77N-Wifi
CPU: i3 3225
RAM: 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600
Case: Apex MI-008 (so front ports are USB 2.0)
HDD 1: WD Red 3 TB
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB
Optical: LG BH14NS40 Blu-ray writer
Onboard ethernet & bluetooth
IR: MacBook Pro IR receiver connected to external USB port (can wake the computer and control it with an Apple remote or Logitech Harmony)
Case fan: 120mm Scythe SlipStream SY1225SL12HPVS
CPU heat sink: Scythe Kozuti with Zalman PWM Mate fan controller
Keyboard & mouse: wired Apple extended & wireless USB logitech mouse for setup; Apple bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse for occasional use.

BIOS settings: optimized defaults with XMP set to profile 1. My CPU supports VT-d but not VT-x, so I did not change these settings in the BIOS.

Currently running 10.8.2 with post #1 Multi-Beast settings with DSDT; using this box daily as my PVR and HTPC; it's connected to my home theater system via HDMI.

There seem to be some odd things happening when switching resolutions and I am having problems defining working resolutions with switchResX, so for now it remains in 1080p 60Hz.

Folks - I will be buying Tony's Mini Deluxe 2012 configuration (Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI) but will also include a Zotac ZT-20404-20L GeForce 240 from 2010. Will I be able to use dual monitors at 1600 x 1200 on the HD 4000 and then a dual-link on the Zotac without issue? Do I need to download additional kexts or anything or will it be automatically detected?

Hi All,

I close to finishing my first Custom Mac Mini and I have a question...

I am not going to use the Ethernet ports of the GA-H77N Wifi (because I am only using an Atheros 9280 card) and I wonder if there is any reason for not disabling the ports in the bios.

Can anyone confirm that it will not be a problem disabling the ports?

Thanks in advance:)

Back